Which new rifle - 22 Hornet or 204 Ruger?

WeaselCircus

I'm looking to pick up a new rifle and would enjoy hearing some opinions on which one to get between the 22 Hornet and 204 Ruger. I have a 17HMR, which I love, but want to add a gun that has a bit more range and knock-down power for the occasional distant rock-chuck, coyote, etc. I thought that a 223 would be perfect for the next step up and bought a Savage Edge last year. But I hate how the muzzle jumps enough that I lose the sight picture. My 17hmr sight picture doesn't budge when fired and I thought that the 223 would be similar. The Edge is only a 6.5 lb gun, so that might be part of the problem. Anyway, I'm going to get rid of the 223, but I'd hate to buy a 204 or hornet and have the same issue with the sight picture. Will either of these work better? Do I need to get one that is heavier (like in the 8 or 10 lb+ range?) Any suggestions on models that you like best in these calibers? Thanks!

Get a .223 in a tad bit heavier rifle... like a m700. That should have enough weight to keep you on target..I never had any loss of sight picture with any of my 223s.

Between the 204 and 22 hornet...I dont think I could drop my $$$ on either

What do you call distant. I would call a hornet an effective 150 yard round on coyotes but wouldn't stretch it much farther. I have not shot a 204 but saw a guy pop a ground hog at 450 yards with one this past summer. So if your looking for something that can really stretch its legs I would go with the 204

Gary, you're missing out on the 204!

It is WICKED FAST !!!
ohmy.gif

I don't know how else to describe it.

I don't care about saving hides. I just want a rifle that is a step up from the 17hmr that still let's me call my own shots. This would be a much simpler problem to solve if I could "test drive" guns like you do a car.
smile.gif

Sounds to me like you should concider the 17FB.

There's certainly no "Magic Bullet" but the 17FB's a nice compromise where recoil's concerned, and is an excellent round for varmints and even Predators at reasonable distances.
If I'm hunting strictly Coyotes, my go to gun's a 17Rem. For everything else I grab my "Beloved Fireball" every time
Give it a look.

Last edited:
Anything would be a step up from a 17 HMR. Not that the 17 HMR is a bad gun just not the ideal coyote gun so that being said probalby anyone of the guns in 223 or 224 calibers. Cheap to shoot 223 because of easy access to rounds. If you don't reload.

The suggestion for a Savage .204 predator Hunter is a good one. It is a heavier rifle, lighter bullets with a lower power scope will increase your ability to maintain your sight picture. I have a Savage Predator Hunter in .204 Ruger and can see my hits. My rifle shot the Hornady 32 grain V-Max factory loads quite well, but I prefer 35 grain Berger bullets with benchmark powder.

Out on the open prairie where there is limited cover and shots can be on the long side there isn't a choice...go long or go home. The .204 can be a 400 yd rifle, the hornet not so much.

Have them both, love them both. If I had to pick one, it would be the 204. I say that being a real fan of the 22 hornet, but I have to admit it's limitations. You could always back your loads down a little with a 204, but the 22 hornet will run you out of steam pretty quick and can't be pushed like the 204 can. As was already stated, any of the centerfires is going to be a step up from the 17hmr.

204 hands down. My AR 204 is the cats meow, no muzzle jump at all. I'd check out cheaperthandirt.com. they have a savage model 12FV. Heavy barrel and accutrigger for 526 I believe.

Back