A truly special day

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I have been hunting with my friend Mark now for several years. We have had our ups and downs in predator hunting, but in recent years we have been steadily improving. We have seen a lot together out in the desert. So I was intrigued when Mark told me that he had an odd request. He asked if I would be willing to take his mom hunting with us while she was out visiting for the holidays from New York. It really made me happy that he asked, I love taking people out for their first time, and what an honor to take my good friends mom out to see what we do on the weekends. I had no idea what kind of special day it would be.

We met and got Mark's mom Janet, outfitted in some ill fitting camo, and got her gunned up with a 12 gauge Mossberg. We had such a great time talking on our drive out to our hunting area. We explained to her how we hunted, and what to do on the stands. She soaked it up like a sponge. We arrived at our area at dawn, and no sooner had we turned off the highway (literally 100 yards), and we spot a coyote running out away from us. Mark tried to get a drop on it, but it was too far away. Janet was very excited to get to see a coyote, and so soon into our hunt. I had to take it as a good omen. We continued in, and another coyote bolted away from us. I figured that the hunting gods would not appreciate us thumbing our noses at them, so we threw out a stand. Nothing showed up so we continued up into the hills.

We were trying to find a particular trail with some very good washes on it. Along the way we stopped and called a couple of canyons that looked promising. We climbed into the hills toward a very interesting wash that was being fed by 4 separate canyons. We set up above the wash and began calling. About 6 minutes in, I see a black/tan blur dart down the hillside, and cross from my right down into one of the canyons. The coyote dropped into the canyon, and I lost visual contact with it. I alerted Janet to the coyote and the direction that it was moving, and she shifted her shotgun to get abetter line on it. I changed up calls, opting for some higher pitched calls, and a few squeakers. But the grown cottontail was the one that got the coyote to show itself again, probably 8 minutes later. It crossed right in front of myself and Janet, moving from our left and she got excited and whispered, "There it is!!!" She then pointed at it. It disappeared behind the brush again. I was scanning the hillside in front of us, when I hear Mark take the shot. The single shot, told the tale.

IMG_markcoyoteroute.jpg

Mark nailed the coyote at 92 yards, almost directly in front of him. Mark was using his Specialized Dynamics 18in flat top in .17 Rem. He and I both had Scott build us up these fur friendly guns because of the number of foxes and bobcats that we have been taking. New to the cartridge, I had been worried about how the cartridge would tear up the fur on a fox, but that has not happened. I was then concerned with the effect it would have on a bobcat, and was very pleased with a one hit/one hole wonder on a male bobcat at 80 yards. Today we saw another one hit/one hole wonder. The coyote took the hit on the high left chest area, and it crumpled. Lungs were mush, massive hemorrhaging in the throat, and the hear ended up with about half the metal jacket inside it. I can officially say that I have ZERO concerns with the .17 Rem.

IMG_2464.jpg

Janet was so happy, and so excited. The hole stand really got her blood pumping. It really was such a pleasure, and an honor to have been able to be a part of such a special day with Mark and his mom. I am sure that Mark will post to this and share his thoughts on this great day, and maybe he will get his mom to chime in

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

She has already put in her reservations for next year, with one stipulation, she wants to get to shoot the coyote next time. I hope I can oblige.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pictures, well done snowmanmo. Pretty cool. Good of you to take her out. Not to much for the camo shoes though she is wearing. Good for blending into snow but probably not to much of that in Arizona is there? lol. Anyways thanks for sharing the story. Great job!!!!

Good write up and a good season so far.

As for the 17R on fox, shoot a few more and see how they turn out. I'm betting you'll tear up a few. Unless it's the lower FPS compared to the 22" I ran. However I can't say if reds and greys take a bullet the same....

Yotes and cats I'd say a fo sho pelt saver.

That AZ land looks like some fun hunting !
thumbup1.gif

That's a GREAT story SnowmanMo!!! I enjoyed the details of the hunt and the photos are fantastic. You may want to get Janet some stouter footwear in case she gets her feet close to a cactus, snake, or some other fanged or sharp objects. Those white tennis shoes may be comfortable, but not well-suited to coyote hunting (just my humble opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.)
lol.gif
Thanks again for posting this story!!!

Thanks again to Scott at Specialized Dynamics for my awesome 17 Rem tack driver. Sighted in at 50 yards I knew that anything from up close to 200 yards is a no brainer...I just put my diamond of death center torso and she was D.R.T.!!!

As for the 17 Rem...I have been reading and reading and a lot of people are really hesitant about it: Will it save the fur? Will it have enough stopping power? Yes and yes. This yote dropped and didn't even twitch. When I hiked over and found her I was expecting carnage...but the only blood I saw was a few drops out of her privates. After carrying her back upside down to the truck some of the blood had found its way to the entrance hole, which was just inside the left shoulder...but no exit wound. This was great as she had a really nice pelt. A lot of people have also been worried about what would happen if the 17 Rem hits a nice sized bone: well, this gal's shoulder was messed up pretty bad. We went through and cataloged all the damage we could find: The bullet went in high on the left chest from the front; it splattered the left jugular and part of the trachea; the 25 grain HP went off like a grenade inside the thoracic cavity, liquefying most of the lungs, cracking several ribs, and causing many perforations and hematomas to the heart. I lucked out and found part of the bullet jacket in the heart up in one of the major vessels. I would NOT want to get hit by this little rocket.

Anyway, I'm hooked on my rifle and the 17 Rem. We'll keep hanging fur with it and let you all know how it goes.

And as for the real stopping power test, we have plans to go after a Mountain Lion after X-Mas, so we'll let you know how it goes. I think that with good shot placement it will do the job...we have seen others who have set precedent.

(From my mom) When your son invites you (at 66 years) to share with him something that he truly loves to do, of course you get excited about it! It helped that my dad was a hunter when I was growing up (a LONG, LONG time ago in NY state) and also that I have loved target shooting with Mark on my past visits. Didn't have camo of my own, so Mark & Moe did the best they could for me...and the rest is incredible history.

Couldn't have had more helpful, encouraging hunting partners...nor a more beautiful day. Had never heard of predator hunting, but Mark explained it to me...then Moe set up each stand explaining to me the details of what I should do and expect. It was a thrill to see the animal come down the trail, but I got so excited that I moved and pointed! Then she took off, and I didn't see her again till Mark got her. Felt like I had done it myself!!! I am ready to go back to NY, do some work on my skills and come back ready to go out with them next year and make my own kill.

Originally Posted By: sigprosNice write up.. I have been folowing your post because of your 17 rem. You have talked me into one

I tell you, the more I use it, the more I love it. Just when I think I can't love it more....

I am sure that there may be a critter or two that will take a hit the wrong way, and cause some fur damage, but so far, thumbs up! I am sure that you will like yours when you get it.

That hunt is just way to cool. Hope Mom gets 1 next year.
Wish my mom was interested in hunting and guns. Heck, I grew up with it.

Tony

Back