30-30 FTX Reloads poor accuracy

RowdyRawhide

I did some searching on old threads here and all over the internet. I reloaded some 160 gr FTX's using the sheet I found on the internet (From Hornady's site) about a year ago.

Here it is:

30-30 160gr FTX

I reloaded about middle of the road as far as their velocity goes, using H4895 and Win 748. The accuracy was so poor I did not even save the targets, best group was over 5". I also shot some of my round nose 170 gr and I get 1.5-2" groups at 100. So the Marlin will do better for sure, it does have the micro groove rifling.

After some internet searching, some guys were saying the were pushing these at higher velocities than printed. When you look at the suggested load data the data for the 170 is hotter than these 160 gr FTX's, ie Win 748 for 170 gr FP uses 36.5 gr VS Win 748 for 160gr FTX uses 31.5gr (max Loads).

To me this doesn't make sense. Generally speaking it has been my experience when looking at reload data that when you go up in bullet weight you go down in grains of powder.

I am thinking I will start making some hotter loads and checking for pressure signs as I go up. I have never worked a load over or under any published data.

What do you guys think? I know there are alot more knowledgeable people here when it comes to working up loads off the chart.

Thanks
Aaron

Last edited:
I tried loading some of the 160g FTX in a Model 94, and I didn`t have much luck either.Since that time, I copied from a magazine article, good results with this 160g FTX and 32g of Ramshot TAC, WLR primer. If you try it, be sure to work up, as you can see from the link you posted 32g is above max.
I never got back to trying the FTX again.
FWIW- acording to the results in this article, the best results out of any powders tried combined with the FTX was with TAC

I'm using the actual LeverEvolution powder with my 160 FTX in a Marline 336C(30-30) and keeping some decent results.

Here is a three shot group I did standing at 50 yards, unsupported with iron sights
1212011443a.jpg

I know Hornady recommends trimming the cases a little bit more then usual but I didn't, just trimmed to standard length

Last edited:
I had very good results with that bullet using 8208 XBR powder. It is the most accurate reload I've found for my 336 with any bullet. I tried Varget, 3031, H4895, blC-2,AND h335. None of them came close to the 8208 for accuracy.

Back