Overall Accuracy Difference Between Regular and Bull Barrel?

kel

Is there any difference if the gun's only shot a few times in a short span? I always understood that a bull barrel was mainly good to keep poi from shifting due to a barrel heating up and warping.

I ask because I shot a coworkers Savage .17 with bull barrel this weekend and was impressed. I have a Savage 93 BRJ in .22 mag that shoots well, but I don't want another heavy rimfire. I'm wondering if the regular barrel Savage .17 shoots as well as long as it doesn't get heated up too much.

I have a pencil barrel Rem. 660 in .308 and a Savage bull barrel .308. I can't really notice much difference in a 3 shot group between them. Usually just one ragged hole if I do my part.

IMAG0268.jpg

scan0044.jpg

Can you tell which is the heavy barrel? Adam

kel,
I'm kinda surprised nobody has made mention of the fact that the main idea of a Bull Barrel in CENTERFIRE rifles is the notion that standard barrels heat up much faster because of the surface and size capability to disburse heat. The same is not COMPLETELY true about Rimfire and .17 cal rifles where "harmonics" play a bigger role. If hunting is your main reason for using the .17 BRJ, don't sweat the small barrel size. Those BRJ's shoot lights out and will NOT warp and any of the other foolish wives tales that have floated around over the years. Today, barrels made by Savages (or their supplier made to Savage spec) are excellent barrels these days. Now I do have two Savage "Heavy Barrel" rimfires, but I also shoot stricty paper. That Savage of yours just needs to be "seasoned" (rounds down the tube) and they shoot really accuratelt. Now if you want even better perform out of that rifle, get ahold of Scott Null at savagegunsmithing.com who is one of the nations most knowledgeable guys for Savage rifles. He especially excels with the BRJ model. There are loads of good Gunsmiths around, but none that I've found (and thats in 50+ yrs of shooting) who know Savages like Scott does. Theres got to a reason why the top brass at Savage send their personal rifles to Scott who has loads of experience and builds custom rigs as well. And he does "accuratizing packages" for just under $200 the last time I talked to him. But if you are happy with how your rifle shoots after say 200 -300 rds down the tube, just go shoot and have fun on the hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shynloco
I'm kinda surprised nobody has made mention of the fact that the main idea of a Bull Barrel in CENTERFIRE rifles is the notion that standard barrels heat up much faster because of the surface and size capability to disburse heat.

Biggest reason most ever own one is because they tend to be steadier on target. More weight up front and all that...

I like my BRJ .22 mag and the way it shoots. I'm trying to get my Christmas wish list figured out. Depending on what Santa actually brings in gift cards for my local gun store is going to depend on what direction I take.

If Santa is overly generous it will be a Rock River Predator which I have my eyes on.

If Santa keeps it more sensible it will be a small Ruger carry gun and a new .17

They have a BRJ in .17 which I don't doubt shoots great, but after carrying mine around I'm just not interested in another heavy rimfire. It sure is nice to shoot small groups though.

I guess what I'm hoping for is that a light barrel .17 will shoot the equivelent group of a bull barrel .17 if I don't heat it up too much. I do agree with Mike about being a bit steadier.

Back