Difference in Vortex Viper HS and the Viper PST?

I'm looking at the PST for a Rem 700 .308 "sniper" build. I think the main differences are the illumination, reticle choices, capped vs uncapped turrets...anyone else? The HS is plenty if it's going on a hunting rifle. The PST is more for a tactical rifle IMO.

The MOA reticle is similar to that of the Nightforce NPR-2 in that it has a has stadia every 2 MOA in the MOA reticle. The mil version is in half mrad subtensions. See the details below.

sub_viper-pst_624f1-mrad_details.jpg

sub_viper-pst_624f1-moa_details.jpg

The HS is a hunting scope targeted at that purpose. You can still get the long range version with exposed elevation turret. The PST stands for Precision Shooting/Tactical so it has features geared towards a shooter.

The only thing that has kept me from getting a HS is the reticle. I don't want a BDC, would rather have the option of the EBR or mil dot. Then I can range AND compensate for drop.

I noticed this about the time I was about to order a 4-16x50 LR Viper HS. I think for the price difference I'll go for the PST. I could picture me over correcting the elevation, by thinking it was .25 MOA like the windage.

SFP, unless someone can talk me into the FFP. I am planning one shooting anywhere between 100yds out to 400yds for hunting, and might try shooting paper to 800yds.

I had my heart set on a FFP until I talked to a reputable dealer. He said I wouldn't likely enjoy the advantage of FFP unless I was running a lot of tactical matches where I couldn't use a LRF and had to range targets with the reticle. I usually shoot at max power past 100yds, so SFP would work fine for me. I wanted it mostly for follow ups and varminting out to 600yds. I like having a hold reference in the reticle and like the idea of uncapped target turrets and 65 MOA of adjustment. I ordered a 6x-24x MOA SFP last week. Now the wait begins. They appear to be the hardest to come by. Hopefully there is a good reason for that.

I finally broke down and ordered the pst 4-16x50 mrad sfp this morning, and to make all better the store I ordered from had them in stock and was running a 15% discount on all their tactical scopes

Sounds like where I ordered mine. They'll save me $112 on mine if they get it in stock. That's almost a set of good 30mm rings.

Back