Your Dog Barking on Calling Stand?

Greatly adds to the stand, I feel. I don't have any that bark on stand, but they do yip on track, when we kick up a jackrabbit, walking to stand. We've killed a dozen or more coyotes that way, without ever blowing a call.

Tony

Neither of my dogs bark on stand. Whiskey will bawl a little bit on track but that's it. I've never really thought about if it is a good or bad thing.

im no pro by any means, but it seems to me it would depend on the type of bark, if they sound off like the hamburgler is in your kitchen, i cant imagine that would be real inviting to the yotes, especially yunge ones. But if the wimper, whine, and maybe even yap a little, seems like it just makes things a little more natural. You are simulating the sound of a small critter being killed, and i have never seed a dog who kills anything without making any noise.

But i cold be way off, just the way i see it.

Barking all the time for no reason, would bother me, barking at a hung up yote is a good thing. I don't have to deal with it much, because my dogs are silent/semi silent.
But I have had some in the past that liked to "speak up" didn't seem to hurt a bit, maybe even helped.

Barking will help more than it will hurt, but like Duane I would be irritated by a constent yapping at nothing.

Lucas

My dog is usually quiet till a coyote comes in then he lets out a growl or to and starts whining till I shoot. He has occasionally barked when a coyote gets hung up or if he is headed out to double check my kill. He has been very effective for me that way and I wouldn't change it a bit. I don't think I could tolerate a dog howling or barking nonstop trying to break my female of the habit right now and its been very aggrivating.

My dogs bark when they hit a track and the coyotes usually come right to them. If I shoot a coyote they bark while wooling the dead coyote. I just sit quietly and sometimes another coyote will come in to them. I think it's a good thing.

When Tucker smells or hears Coyotes in the air or on the ground she scolds them pretty good.

She yips when she takes a Jack Rabbit for a run and bays when she discovers a P-Pine.

She use to trail coons silent and bay only at the tree. She recently has taken to opening up with a full bawl on trail.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. Sounds like I need to just Let'er Buck...I mean Bark.

Thanks gonzaga. The dog works great it's the coyotes that don't always want to cooperate.

Or it's the 14 year old shooter that tells me afterwards, "I was just shaking so bad."

It's okay though. I think the "Juice" in the veins is why we do what we do.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Hitman243If I shoot a coyote they bark while wooling the dead coyote. I just sit quietly and sometimes another coyote will come in to them. I think it's a good thing.

Good idea. I will have to try this. I am usually just as jazzed up as the dogs and go right to them telling them how good they are.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKThanks gonzaga. The dog works great it's the coyotes that don't always want to cooperate.

Or it's the 14 year old shooter that tells me afterwards, "I was just shaking so bad."

It's okay though. I think the "Juice" in the veins is why we do what we do.
thumbup.gif

I have that problem from time to time. The last time I remember it happening to me was yesterday. But after I got that one out of the way I was as cool as ice the rest of the day.

Originally Posted By: DustballsOriginally Posted By: Hitman243If I shoot a coyote they bark while wooling the dead coyote. I just sit quietly and sometimes another coyote will come in to them. I think it's a good thing.

Good idea. I will have to try this. I am usually just as jazzed up as the dogs and go right to them telling them how good they are.

D Balls, I think the dogs are supposed to do the barking and wooling!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Have you tried toning the dogs while they are barking? Maybe that will teach them that you don't want them to do it. Either that or try nicking them if it becomes excessive.

Do as ya like, but personally, I will not "nick", shock" or "whatever" a dog that is woolin a dead yote, or fighting a cripple.That is what I want my dogs to do, I'm darn sure not gonna correct a dog for it.
I just don't wanna listen to a dog barkin all the time for no reason.
Dogs barking at the right time is good, and will bring other yotes in, dogs barkin all the time is just a "PIA",and nothing I personally want to deal with.

I don't see it as a problem as of yet. We'll see. I decided some time ago not to shock Tucker when hunting. I don't do it. I have used the shocks for many things but mostly in a training set up thing. She is broke off the livestock, deer, etc. There may come an incident where I would shock her when hunting, but my preference would be to plan a training session when I find a problem.

Duane, I was thinking that maybe Klint could use a nick as he sometimes gets pretty excessive. (-:

The wagon is loaded and leaving for Mass, gotta go.

Merry Christmas!

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK
Duane, I was thinking that maybe Klint could use a nick as he sometimes gets pretty excessive. (-:

The wagon is loaded and leaving for Mass, gotta go.

Merry Christmas!

You sound like my wife. lol

Back