wood stock swelling/ shrinking

From what I understand, it's not an uncommon problem. My opinion on wooden stocks is this: I wouldn't use a 100 year old gun to hunt with, so why would I want to use the same stock material they used back then?

Modern wood stocks are not as prone to the swelling/ warping as the old stocks were. The modern wood sealants are top notch and prevent much of the issues caused by humidity and rain. Also depending on who the stock is made by and how well it was finished will also count on how well the stock works. Adam

Friend of mine missed several bears on a hunt in Canada, due to this issue. Gun was sighted in before leaving and was spot on, after missing the 3rd bear, he shot the gun and it was over 12 inches low at 100 yards. I am a believer in synthetic.

like i said i would love to have synthetic but cant find one for my mossberg atr. i thought i read in another thread that like a remington 700 stock would fit. but i cant find the thread any more.

Yes wood can and will move depending on humidity. As earlier stated if a stock is properly sealed this effect is minimized. All the materials in modern stocks have positives and negatives. Synthetics suffer from extreme temp. changes.(expansion,contraction) Laminated is probably the most stable but you have the weight issue. Free floating your barrel reduces most of the problems associated with these conditions. Rule of thumb, Always check your zero when you reach your destination on a hunting trip.

Originally Posted By: doug1225Friend of mine missed several bears on a hunt in Canada, due to this issue. Gun was sighted in before leaving and was spot on, after missing the 3rd bear, he shot the gun and it was over 12 inches low at 100 yards. I am a believer in synthetic.
I'm also a believer in shooting my gun before hunting after long travel.

agreed on the zero after long travel. but im looking to move up to the north west. how long would it stay like that if it was to swell. would it ever acclimate.

all my wood stocks i seal the inside with a good varnish or poly. and pillar bed them no problem.but most of my hunting is in pretty dry climates,ut,id,nev,wyo.

While the subject's made allot of money for gun scribes over the years, the truth is (IMO) that if the wood is sealed as stated above, the action bedded (preferably with pillars), and the barrel channel has a generous free float (and I don't mean a dollar bills worth) it'll never make a difference in real world hunting situations.

Wood stocks are all I own, and trust me, it's plenty humid in No. Idaho.
I'll take wood over injection molded plastic every day.

JMO

Shooting your rifle at your destination is the best advice in this thread.
Simple common sence that shouldn't even have to be said.

Back