Opinions on Mossberg .270 or 30-06?

John Gorman

hey folks, Academy sports is running a sale on the Mossberg 100ATR .270 Winchester Bolt-Action Rifle features a synthetic stock with a Reaper Buck camo finish. 22" barrel is fluted and has a blued finish, a 5-round magazine capacity, an LBA adjustable trigger and bases for scope mounting.

other features are
•Bolt action with 5-round magazine capacity
•22" fluted barrel with a blued finish
•Synthetic stock with a Reaper Buck camo finish
•LBA adjustable trigger
•Bases allow scope mounting

Reg Price is $329, on sale for $299. i'd like to get a .270 or 30-06 for a larger caliber rifle as i have a .243, ar-15 .223, shotguns, etc.

Any feedback from this rifle is appreciated, thanks!

i'd posts a pic but i cant figure out how, lol. here's the link if interested:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_324051_-1?N=46886006+104

guess what i was wanting was feedback on the Mossberg model itself, never had a mossberg rifle just remingtons or 1 rossi (which i will never own again)

The barrel I believe is made by Howa, but Mossberg uses it own super cheaply made bolt. I had one given to me for christmas a few years ago, I was gonna trade it off but it shot so well I kept it. Mine has the wood stock and is a .243 Win.
CIMG1922.jpg

The outside line is a circle drawn around a dime.

Last edited:
i bought one for the same price but in 243. I was advised throw away the cheap stock and buy a new one. I have not done this my self as I am deployed and bought the rifle a week before I left. but on another forum a guy said he had same model and bought a boyds stock and that made a world of differences.

dont shy from the mossberg...i just got a 100atr in .243, sighted it in last week and was blown away buy the accuracy for a cheap gun. it was shooting inside MOA @100yds right off the bat! at 200 yds i was shooting 1.5" groups off a crappy pillow and table rest with just a 3-9 scope that would completely cover the bulls eye @ 200.... and i dont shoot alot. all the gun accuracy wise that 99% of us will ever need.

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1dont shy from the mossberg...i just got a 100atr in .243, sighted it in last week and was blown away buy the accuracy for a cheap gun. it was shooting inside MOA @100yds right off the bat! at 200 yds i was shooting 1.5" groups off a crappy pillow and table rest with just a 3-9 scope that would completely cover the bulls eye @ 200.... and i dont shoot alot. all the gun accuracy wise that 99% of us will ever need.

Yeah buddy! Just saying, I doubt it...........The give away was, "and i don't shoot alot".

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: deerslyr1dont shy from the mossberg...i just got a 100atr in .243, sighted it in last week and was blown away buy the accuracy for a cheap gun. it was shooting inside MOA @100yds right off the bat! at 200 yds i was shooting 1.5" groups off a crappy pillow and table rest with just a 3-9 scope that would completely cover the bulls eye @ 200.... and i dont shoot alot. all the gun accuracy wise that 99% of us will ever need.

Yeah buddy! Just saying, I doubt it...........The give away was, "and i don't shoot alot".

?

I read an article in a gun mag they compared all the "starter" grade rifles. they compared 6 rifles. the most expensive being like 750. they loved the 100atr. the only bad thing they had to say was its accuracy. but like is said before a friend of mine bought a new stock for it and loves the rifel. the action and trigger are awesome, its reliable. throw a new stock on it and its accurate too. you really cant go wrong with that rife for that price.

yeah but [beeep], i dont wanna buy a gun and then put a new stock on it, i'd rather just buy a gun that's decently accurate to begin with instead. everything sounds good on it, but i went to look at it last night, and that bolt was wobbly as all get out, felt super cheap.

thanks for the info guys, i decided last night i am going to pass on this one, esp if one of the downfalls is it's accuracy. i am working on becoming a good shot, i am decent now but the last thing i need is a gun that's working against me i'd rather spend more money i am finding out.

If you pick up the model that has a wood stock it will not need replaced. The only update I would do is a trigger. Rifle Basix makes a trigger for the Mossberg ATR/Howa/Vanguard. This is what lead me toward the Howa barrel, but it is plain to see the bolt is not Howa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: deerslyr1dont shy from the mossberg...i just got a 100atr in .243, sighted it in last week and was blown away buy the accuracy for a cheap gun. it was shooting inside MOA @100yds right off the bat! at 200 yds i was shooting 1.5" groups off a crappy pillow and table rest with just a 3-9 scope that would completely cover the bulls eye @ 200.... and i dont shoot alot. all the gun accuracy wise that 99% of us will ever need.

ok im lying....but heres a pic for you, 1st 2 rounds @ exactly 105 ranged yards. the gun for a cheap gun is a shooter. It simply has a leupold vx1 3-9x40, shooting horndy super performance factory loads(58 grain vmax), only complaint is the action/bolt isnt as nice as others but it works. And like i said its a shooter
oh and when i said i dont shoot a ton i meant guns,....archery i shoot alot. same concept squeeze aim aim aim bang. i do shoot guns enough [beeep].

2011-12-11_12-32-59_778.jpg

2011-12-05_18-07-29_511.jpg

man that's cool, but i dont like how the bolt felt like it would just wobble right out, that's a pet peeve of mine, i dont like my stuff to wobble and round and have lots of play in it. that's why i decided to pass on this one.

Back