Fur, A Flat, And Some Darned Good Shooting!

getemclose

Well, ALMOST no wrong
lol.gif
.. It is primetime fur season in my area and every chance Marty and I get we have been out calling coyotes! I actually think it is a sickness, we have called every single day we have had off since october 1, dedication, or maybe just plain being stubborn is on our side.. This last weekend was looking to be a promising one. I always watch the weather very close 2-3 days prior to, and the chips were stacking up in our favor. Saturday was calling for 4-7 MPH. wind with 20 degree temps. Usually I like it a tad colder than this but I still knew predators would be on the move. My good buddy was back from college for christmas break and had asked me if he could tag along for a day with Marty and I. I told him to meet me at my place at five thirty A.M saturday.. I really wanted to put some dogs in front of him!.. We met Marty at his place at six and loaded all of our gear ( Let me tell you one would think we bring enough supplies for a small army!..
lol.gif
Marty and I still didnt have a battle plan for the day but on the drive out of town we decided to put some serious rubber to the road and head up to an area we know very very well.. We called some of it once earlier this season and had some tough luck. We were able to put seven in the truck that day but 10-12 dogs was easily attainable if one worked well..

Stand #1 was a sweet one! I have called it once and figured it would be a sure fire furtaker stand.. The wind was out of the NW and it played perfectly into this spot.. We walked in the dark to where Marty and I felt would be the best point to call from.. I told my buddy Ryan were to set up, and Marty and I worked opposite sides of a hill.. Twenty minutes of Martys best calling and nothing showed.. I was baffled! Oh well on too the next spot
smile.gif

We boogied back to the truck and tore off deeper into coyote country. As we were driving I spot a large group of cattle off the road. If you know Marty and I at all we LOVE cattle
lol.gif
.. We love cattle because coyotes do too.. Really, as far as making a stand the spot didnt look all that great.. It didnt matter to us though. We knew some dogs could be within 1/4 mile of them. We pulled off the gravel and hooked to the backside of the herd so we could play the wind.. After a short walk in we spotted a hidden pond with some decent cover around it behind the cattle. Marty and I both knew this is were the dogs would most likely be hiding out. I told Marty to take Ryan with him, and I would watch the backside for us.. Marty and Ryan walked to a small knoll overlooking the frozen pond and cattle.. No sooner had Marty hit the secret sound and a coyote was blazing across the pond HARD.. I could see ryan slowly getting his shotgun ready!.. The dog reached 100 yards and all of the sudden two more dogs break into the picture from the other side of the pond.. They see the single committing hard and they cant take it, they come running too! The single reaches 50 yards and Ryan gives him the 3 1/2 inch dead coyote shotgun blast!
lol.gif
Amazingly the other two dogs just freeze! Marty wastes no time and dumps the female in her tracks.. Two dogs are dead on the ice and the third boogies back over the hill.. Marty hits the ki-yi and here he comes back! He reaches his fallen mate and hunches up and stands his hair on end.. What a site! Marty dumps him and we have a triple laying on the ice..

mm.jpg

We exchange some high fives and re-live the stand 2-3 times as we pack the dogs to the truck.. After loading them up Marty and I discuss were to call next.. I think we both knew where we would be going. Its a stand we know well.. Twenty minutes later, and after a long hike in we are set up on a narrow point with two frozen ponds on each side of us. Above them are rolling pasture hills with brush pockets.. I tell ryan to set up in front of us with his shotgun in case the coyotes follow the shoreline down. Marty and I watch separate sides of the point out onto the ice.. Once again we play the call, I knew we had a good chance of killing on this set.. Just like I had hoped I spot a tiny little spec making his way across the lake.. it was comical watching her try to run the ice with no snow on it. She would slip and slide, and fall.! It didnt take her long however.. she reaches 150 and I center the hairs and drop her in her tracks. Now that was almost too easy!.. We call some more but dont see anything else.. Marty tells me he will go get the truck and Ryan and I walk the ice to get my prize. Just as we get to the coyote Ryan says, "Mitch!, I see one!". I pick up my glasses and a late guest is making his appearance. Wayyyy down the lake I lone dog is coming at a brisk pace.. Ryan and I flop on our bellies and the dog keeps coming! I tell ryan to kill him as soon as he reaches range.. he hits about 150 yards and Ryan drops him in his tracks! Double Baby!!

mmm.jpg

Thats five in the pickup and its not even noon. I tell Marty and Ryan this could be a ten dog day if we keep making our shots like we have been.. Our next set would be right behind the ranchers house.. When you hunt an area enough you learn were the coyotes REALLY like to hang out, and this spot was on of those.. Out behind his his is all rolling pasture. however there is a large "bowl" with thick brush thats keeps the coyotes out of a NW wind.. Marty and I know if we can get close enough without being detected we call surely lure a coyote out of his hiding.. We pack way back into this set and get within 1/4 mile of the hideaway.. A soft sequence from the call has three coyotes investigating the noise.. As I examine the top dog on the ridge the two others begin to commit.. It didnt take the long and they both are coming single file to us! Im really hopeing I can lay them both down!.. Marty was watching the backdoor, so it was going to be up to me to do the damage.. The dogs come just how I want them too and reach 150 yards.. I center on the back dog and kill her on her feet.. As quick as I can I jack another round into my chamber and take a running shot at dog #2 . Hair flys, but the dog keeps running! Sure enough I burned him! I was dissapointed for missing the running dog, but atleast we are dragging fur to the rig. #6 is coming along for the ride..

mmmmmm.jpg

Its only Noon and we still have some awsome stuff too hit.. Once again we only travel 1/2 up the road to another stand we have called coyotes on.. Its a "lazy mans stand" as we only have to walk 50 yards over a small knoll and we are in position! As we walk in we spot a distant dog milling around above a small saddle.. he doesnt know we are here, and hopefully he can be called! As luck would have it he had NO interest! We gave him the book but he moved on... Just as I had lost all hope I glance to my right and spot a dog getting out of town! He must have snuck up on me! I quickly range the hillside he is leaving to and it read 310 on my leupold RF. Luckily the dog gave me one last look and I made him pay.. #7!

mmmmmmm.jpg

The next stand is another long hike, but Marty and I had tons and tons of confidence in it. Its a spot no one gets back into, and dogs always hang out in it.. We set up over a lake once again and give it out best effort. Two coyotes come out onto the ice, but we just could not get them to commit.. we spent an hour on them but it was all for not.. Back to the truck!!

We head up the road and once again call a set we have killed at.. As we are getting out of the truck I notice something BAD.. Martys front right tire is leaking.. A screw is lodged into the dead center.. Talk about a buzz kill!.. We decided we will call first and worry about it when we get back.. We pack back into the set and set-up.. Its another spot where we can get really close to some thick cover.. It didnt take long and I spot a dog just sitting on his butt looking at us.. im not messing around I want ten dogs! 290 yards my finder read....

mmmmmmmmmm.jpg

The truck tire is now not looking so great.. We throw good judgement to the wind and limp up the road to another sweet stand! We call for twenty minutes and are just about to call it when I spot a dog wayyyy out there just laying down.. I didnt hesitate I took off into the pasture to close the distance. As I was walking my leg started to cramp so bad I had to stop and lay down.. I guess all the miles were catching up to me.. after getting it fixed I got to a knoll that put me 430 from the coyote. I wasnt going to get any closer.. I took aim and squeezed.. Snow flew up right in front of the dog and he escaped un harmed! darn...

I get back to the truck and its not looking good for the home team. the tire is flat and we need to change it quick. Now here is where it got bad! If you dont already know chevys have the MOST RIDICULOUS system for the spare tire.. Try as we did we COULD NOT get the dang thing out from under the truck.. We still had an hour of light but it was evident ten dogs wasnt going to happen.. We limp the truck up the road to a farmstead.. like it was sent from heaven a cutting torch is sitting outside the shed. After a short talk with the farmer he tells us to give er heck! we cut the spare tire out from underneath the pickup and head for the house... Still an awsome day!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg

The next day was going to be brutal windy. Ryan had to head out of town but I told Marty I would be over bright and early to brave the weather!

We headed up to a new area that we would be blind calling. if it looked good we would try it! Just as the sun crept up we spotted a large cattle ranch with a huge valley behind it.. The truck was parked and we were hiking before you knew it
smile.gif
. We reached the edge of the valley and I spotted a whitetail doe stomping and staring at something right below me! I figured it must be a dog! I looked and looked, and finally convinced myself this deer was just a little jumpy! I didnt take two steps and a coyote busts out from the short grass. How I didnt see it I will never know! I flop on my belly but the coyote never would stop for me. Rather than taking a marginal running shot I decided I would keep things quite.. Marty was on the call for this set, Just as he began calling a pair emerges from the valley floor trotting down the ice to us.. The back dog sits down and I ranger her at 349.. Still the lead dog keeps on coming and im just waiting for Marty to kill him as he is on his side.. He comes, and comes, but Marty never fires.. what the???? I whisper to Marty "kill him" He tells me, you shoot first.. Then I realize he never saw the lead dog!.. This doesnt happen much with him.. I think he was frusterated with me, or himself? not sure.
lol.gif
. But he took his anger out on the dog out on the ice.. 349 And he put him down.. Just as he kills the dog I glance over my shoulder and spot a dog that snuck up on us! dangit!!! He spots me and charges down the valley.. ok, just give me once chance! 220, 270, 300, 320, 360 he stops! BOOOOOM WHAP across the valley!.. Thats two.. I tell marty to keep calling and that im going to go watch the backdoor. I grab all my gear and sneak 50 yards behind us.. Just as I sit down I see a dog coming to my down wind.. The ki-yi is bringing him hard! he hits two hundred and Is about to wind me! I take a running shot and hit him dead center in the neck! Now that was a chaotic stand....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg

We hit five more stands in 30-40 mph wind and killed nothing! nodda! zilch!

We figured we were fortunate to bag the triple right off the bat.. It was a solid weekend, but a four day weekend is soon upon us! Shaking with excitement
HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Mitch - the legend of Mitch and Marty continues to grow with your excellent narrative and photos.

Congrats on another couple of ridiculous fur-taking days.

You guys need a third man with a video camera. Bet youd give some of them sponsored guys a dam good run for their money. Always enjoy the write ups and pics

So, What in the heck are you doing sitting in front of the computer. Why aren't you out whackin'? Great story, Now I'm jealous. Great shooting.

Tony

Man, your passion is inspiring. Mitch, I just can't get over how beautiful those dogs are. I think you mentioned that you don't skin them. Do you know what you would get for them if you did? Congrats again!

sounds like your shooting that .243 quite well Mitch.
coyotes and ice. gotta love it!!
just got back from your neck of the woods. brought 9 of them beauties home with me and a bonus red fox.

Hey Mitch great job again and super hunt recap.

I went through the chevy spare stuff a couple weeks ago replacing the stock size tire with a 33in tire.

If the mechanism is not rusty or seized the manual directions which use the car jack will unlock the secondary latch . If not just follow the directions in this video. It explains things well and real easy.

I had no trouble getting mine off but needed to look up these instructions for putting it back on. Just slid down the rubber boot. Squeezed the secondary latch with my hand and presto, she winched up the rest of the way

Last edited:
Sheesh man, any coyotes left out there? Great story and sounds like some really good shooting. I don't think I'd ever want to get on your bad side if you have that .243 in your hands.

Congratulations on an exciting weekend of hunting predators! Your writeup does a very good job of conveying your enthusiasm. Those dogs sure do have nice coats on them! Lots of coyotes around this year.

Back