Narrow Window For Success

Well, (Mark)Singlecoil, Zack the dog, and I got out yesterday to test run the Jeep, which had gone down due to needing a new fuel pump.

The Jeep ran fine and took us on an approximately 115-mile round trip of fine calling.
We met up just after first light and set up the Jeep. Once we got going, we dipped off into some state land and called our first stand.

It was a blank, but a long one. I got into a heated argument with a group of coyotes that just wouldn't commit. They were running their heads for quite a while though; it was a really cool stand!

We continued on through the area we'd chosen and started getting signs that things were picking up.

At about 9:00, we were a couple minutes into a stand when two deer came tearing out of the sand dunes. They were running scared and we figured we'd have our first customer shortly. The wind indicator of the front of the rig said we'd been busted, though.

We put another mile or so behind us and swung into the next spot. A bit of rabbit distress had a coyote inbound, moving towards our downwind. He stopped briefly and Mark took the shot. The coyote dropped, but it looked like he got right back up and trotted off. he stopped once more and looked back, but neither of us had a good shot.
We walked the area, but didn't locate any blood. There was so much coyote sign in the area, footsign was useless. Zack worked the area and turned up nothing.
Oh well, looks like he got away clean.

Next stop had us here:

DSCN0671.jpg

We set up on a well pad overlooking the sand dunes.
Almost immediately, a mule deer doe appeared to check out the calling. She din't stick around long though, because there was a coyote on his way in. He was trotting across our front from right to left, headed downwind.
We got him stopped in a spot where he was visible between the dunes and I took the shot. He bolted at the shot and I thought I'd racked up my first miss for the day. We both thought we'd heard a solid "slap" from the shot though, so we walked out to see what was up.
Once we located the spot where the coyote was standing, the blood trail was obvious. He had run off already dead and was down for the count about thirty yards away.

Happy to be "on the board" we quickly made for our next stand.

Next spot had us in a little more open country:

DSCN0672.jpg

Maybe five minutes in, a coyote came bombing over the hill off to our left. He was maybe 150 yards out and running. As we watched him pass by, another coyote came running up from right to left at about 20 yards. Neither one would stop and they both crossed out of our shooting lanes before we could do anything with them.

I kept calling and we're still not clear on what happened next.
Either the same two coyotes, who had both already crossed our wind, turned around and each made another pass, or two more coyotes showed up!
This time the farther one was much farther out and moving from right to left. The close one followed just about the same path and came across from left to right.
The close one still wouldn't stop, but the further one did stop at about 250 yards.

This is a zoomed-in view of the stand. The coyote stopped just behind and to the right of the closest pole in the picture.

DSCN0673.jpg

I pulled down on him and took the shot. That's pretty far for me and I didn't have a lot of confidence. The coyote ran off and I was sure he'd made it out unscathed.
Mark however, was sure he'd heard the bullet hit home and he convinced me to go out and look for the coyote.

It was a good thing he did. As we walked out to the area where I thought the coyote had been standing, Zack's head dropped to the ground and he went pounding off into the nearby sand dunes.
We looked all over, but found no blood. I was mentally resigned to gathering up Zack and heading off down the road when I heard Zack bay barking, way off.
We hoofed it in his direction and eventually he came running over to get me.
Zack led me even further through the dunes and took me to where he'd found my coyote! He bloodtrailed that coyote for about a quarter mile and led to a successful recovery. He's shaping up to be the perfect coyote dog for me.

That last recovery was at about 11:00 and the coyotes seemed to be turned completely off after that.

We called another couple stands and decided it must be the midday lull in the action you sometimes get. We decided to snap a quick picture and skin the ones we had before they hung out too long.

DSCN0676.jpg

You can see the wind flag sticking up in front of the Jeep; the wind was picking up quite a bit, too.

Turns out, it wasn't just a lull in the action. The coyotes seemed to be done for the day. Those two hours or so were really good, though.

We had a great time calling some good country; thanks for reading.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like your east of Carlsbad, there are some really big deer out in that stuff belive it or not. Nice hunting rig, I need one of those!

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterIt looks like your east of Carlsbad, there are some really big deer out in that stuff belive it or not. Nice hunting rig, I need one of those!

Well, we were east of C'bad in a broad sense of the word.

There really are lots of nice deer out there. A guy I know at work and his buddies take some real nice deer out of there every year.

Thanks, the elevated position on the Jeep makes for a whole different experience in those lumpy sandhills.

The first one was running dead, heartshot. He was splashing blood out both sides from just behind the shoulder.

The second one was poor shooting on my part. He was hit at the back of the ribs with the round exiting behind the diaphragm.

I shoot 64gr. Speer Gold Dot softpoints out of a 16' LMT/RRA AR. I try to always break the sholder so they're broke down as well as killed. The bullets are plenty tough to handle bone. These two just weren't ideal shots.

Hey Corey I remember you changing out the tires from the jeep when you picked it up. What size did you switch too? Nice shooting by the way.

Nice rig and good on the recoverys.
Give that good looking dog of your a big treat.
And a well deserve ataboy for a great job on the trackdown.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI'd like to see more pics of that jeep setup....

are you shooting from the jeep....

Here's a link to a post on the Jeep; You'll get a kick out of the provenance...

Calling Rig

It excels in this sort of environment, where it blends perfectly:

DSC00222.jpg

Among the sand dunes, it provides a vantage point where none exists:

DSC00195.jpg

And yep, for unprotected species where you're not causing a hazard, it's legal to shoot from the rig.

Another great post and sounds like an action-packed morning, Corey.

Glad to hear Zack continues to be a valued partner, although he didn't smile as big for this photo as some of his previous.
laugh.gif

Keep them coming!

Another great story Corey. Looks like you, Mark and Zach got into 'em. You are doing a heck of a good job with Zach. Keep it up!

P.S. Zach, Havoc, and Duke are Uncles now. Mattie had her litter yesterday afternoon!

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeAnother great story Corey. Looks like you, Mark and Zach got into 'em. You are doing a heck of a good job with Zach. Keep it up!

P.S. Zach, Havoc, and Duke are Uncles now. Mattie had her litter yesterday afternoon!

Tony

What kind of dogs????

Back