DPMS AR-15 Rifles and Accessories

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Topic Options
#2078174 - 12/18/11 03:54 PM Ruger SR 556 for sale
benson821 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: North Dakota
My local gun shop has a Ruger SR 556 for sale with a Red field 4-12 scope on a RRA mount for $1500. Is this a good buy or would it be better to get the SR 556 E for $1,100, or look at some other rifles for roughly the same price. Any thoughts on the Ruger rifles I mentioned above?? This is going to be an all around gun, shtf to varmint control to predators to tactical use.d

#2078571 - 12/18/11 09:36 PM Re: Ruger SR 556 for sale [Re: benson821]
LWILLIAMS Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Wyoming
My ruger is terribly heavy compared to my r-15 and rra ar-15 if weight is any concern. Accuracy seems ok. The gun is somewhat neat and looks good in the safe where it sits most of the time. The rounds I have put through it have not had any ftf or fte.

#2078761 - 12/18/11 11:51 PM Re: Ruger SR 556 for sale [Re: LWILLIAMS]
benson821 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: North Dakota
Weight is somewhat a concern, like I said this is going to be an all around use rifle, basically pull it out of the safe and go to work with it. I also found a DPMS Recon which seemed pretty nice, is there really a pro to having a piston rifle over a D.I. rifle or not really?

Also would you suggest a scope or a non magnified optic like and eotech?

#2081385 - 12/21/11 10:51 AM Re: Ruger SR 556 for sale [Re: benson821]
LWILLIAMS Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Wyoming
Scope vs non magnified sight really depends on what you are doing with the rifle. You can always get a 1x4 optic that is really good and have the best of both worlds. I see no real benefit of piston over DI in a normal gun. I believe the piston in an ar was designed to cycle the gun with a 10.5" barrel and supressor where a conventional DI would not function reliably. I have heard that the women like the guys with the piston guns more though.

Moderator:  Jack Roberts, OldTurtle, venatic 

Forum Stats
47921 Members
83 Forums
285393 Topics
2697985 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
0302, baileydr, blksmth, Docknboatlift, eclipse71, fultonbig9, Ihateyotes, lonetracker, oljim, PoorBoyPredator86, sandog22-250, sandog220, Scott Newton, SnipeEmYotes, Steve Napier, tallgrass, walleye

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.