Pulsar Digisight N550 Fox Video

Gman757

This also appears in another thread that I started about the Digisight but I wanted to start a new thread with actual videos of calling and hunting. Hopefully more to follow.

I ran out late this afternoon to try to get a quick video on the Digisight scope. I threw my caller in my cart and headed to a construction sight close by where a new road is being cut through the woods.

I set up under the large crane on my knees and had the Digisight mounted on a tripod. I forgot my NV binoculars to scan with so I had to scan with the scope. I set my Foxpro up 100 yards out and started calling just after dark. I also set up my decoy but did not check and the batteries were dead so it was just sitting static with no movement.

You will see a couple of foxes that came to my caller. They knew I was there but did not seem overly concerned and their attention was split between me and the caller sound. The scope was not tight against my eye because it was a little shaky on the tripod and I'm sure there was some light leakage onto my face. There was also a slight glow from the Luna emitter when it is on a high power setting. You can see in the video I was changing the output of the Luna emitter and it shows how much better the unit performs with a good add on emitter. In a hunting situation I would have been scanning with my Gen 1 NV binoculars and then turn the scope on to shoot.

foxpic-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just got mine in the mail today. I'm so excited. Question? How do you make a video? I want to hunt and video? I have it mounted on my .17. Any ideas?

I paid $1399 and it has a IR mounted on the front. I'm trying to figure out now how to make videos of my hunts. This scope is SICK. I took it out in my nhood tonight. I'm blown away.

Gman,

Have you used it much during daylight? I sighted mine in this past weekend, and pretty certain I had some of the settings out of whack for daylight use. Everything was "washing" badly. Was shooting a "Dirty Bird" target - black oval w/ red oval for center, the red oval was all I could see and appeared as a white oval. Any suggestions?

Detail in dark was pretty amazing, but I have no previous experience with NV.

I bought my scope from Sportsmansguide for $1260. It did not come with the 940 nm flashlight but I tried one and it is useless. The built in emitter is better

I sighted my scope in at the range last week. I waited till almost dark and that seemed to help. I ended up using a light background target with about a 8 inch black center. I just had to put the white center reticle dot in the center of the black. Remember you are looking thru a camera. The normal fine detail is not there.

4 adjustments to work with.

1. Contrast button
2. Sumlight button ( this needs to be OFF for daylight use)
3. Brightness knob
4. Forward Focus knob

Don't forget you can invert the reticle to black with the invert button on top. That may help with some different targets that that cause the center dot to appear as white.

If you want to get the most out of it add one of these:

http://www.lunaoptics.com/accessoriespage.html

Last edited:
Thx for the info.. I did see one on eBay for a Qbeam but I thought the Lightforce filter might be an exact fit. It came in right as I was leaving town and I tried it and I don't think it is.

I guess if it doesn't fit I can return it and try the Qbeam 5 1/2 inch model. If I have to modify it anyway it makes more sense to get the cheaper $13 filter.

Just for the record I have no vested interest in Pulsar or any other manufacturer. I was just tying to find a NV scope that would be sufficient for hunting critters. Given the fact that it is for critters I also did not want to spend any more than I had to as I am sure there are other products out there much better than the Digisight but cost is a factor.

I started with a Gen 1 NV scope that I just did not feel was suited for me. One issue I had was the fact that I have a red/green color vision deficiency.
I used it along with a pair of Luna NV binoculars and it was very frustrating that the binoculars performed so much better than the scope. I questioned this and was told it was because of the thicker lens needed for the scope cut the performance of the Gen 1 tube. The scope was also very sensitive to focus adjustments.

I even had the scope for sale on PM for awhile but no takers. I talked to Sportsmansguide and they swapped me for the Digisight since I had bought from them. I decided on the Digisight for 2 reasons.
1. It was the next logical price point before going to Gen 2
2. It was a Day capable device which needless to say is a huge advantage

I am trying to provide unbiased info on here by posting the actual videos even though they are not as good as actually using the scope. I still have a lot of testing to do and I will try to pass on my results on this thread.

There have been some negatives:
1. Battery Life
2. Too much MOA adjustment when zeroing
3. Eye strain if trying to use the scope for scanning

I am trying to get info as to whether the one shot zero function resets the x/y axis alignment of the reticle or if it reverts to the closest default stored value. Tried to reach techs at Pulsar but it seems most of them reside in England. I need time to test to see what results I get with regard to the amount of reticle movement.

As for battery life and eye strain, I plan to turn the scope on for shooting only and scan with my NV binoculars. If you plan to scan and shoot I suggest purchasing a 12 volt battery pack of some type.

I need to use the scope a lot more before I can personally recommend someone spend this much money, but I'm satisfied with the performance at this point. I will post new videos and info when possible.

If you need to address the scanning issue I suggest a pair of Luna binoculars or any other quality NV binoculars or monocular.

These are the ones I use:

http://www.lunaoptics.com/pb3.html

Last edited:
I use a Stanley (White) LED Spotlight too scan and when i see eyes i turn on my Laser Genetics ND3X50 Subzero which is mounted on my Burris 3X9X40 FULLFIELD II, that is all i need to turn dark into light. Doesnt spook the coyotes at all.

Stanley Spotlight $39.99 (Walmart)
LG ND3X50 SZ $417.99 (Opticsplanet)

Total cost $457.98

DDW...

I'll be the first to admit that success at predator hunting has nothing to do with how much money you spend or how complex the technology you use is. There are experienced hunters on here that can kill more Yotes lip squeaking with a flashlight and a shotgun than I can with all this NV and ecaller equipment I have. How you go about it is a personal choice. I have always been sort of a tech junkie so it's enjoyable for me to experiment and try different ideas.

You seem to have found a method that works for you and that's what it's all about. I'm just trying to share info on here for the guys that might like to apply some of this technology to their predator hunting techniques. I'm not suggesting that everybody go out and drop $2000 on a NV scope and NV binoculars. Your method using lights and the ND products is just as valid if it works.

Some guys on here spend thousands on Gen 3 and Thermal equipment and if that's what they like to use then I'm all for it. I enjoy seeing the vids and pics of this equipment being used but it's not affordable to me in a practical way.

Last edited:
Back