Ruger SR 556 for sale

benson821

My local gun shop has a Ruger SR 556 for sale with a Red field 4-12 scope on a RRA mount for $1500. Is this a good buy or would it be better to get the SR 556 E for $1,100, or look at some other rifles for roughly the same price. Any thoughts on the Ruger rifles I mentioned above?? This is going to be an all around gun, shtf to varmint control to predators to tactical use.d

My ruger is terribly heavy compared to my r-15 and rra ar-15 if weight is any concern. Accuracy seems ok. The gun is somewhat neat and looks good in the safe where it sits most of the time. The rounds I have put through it have not had any ftf or fte.

Weight is somewhat a concern, like I said this is going to be an all around use rifle, basically pull it out of the safe and go to work with it. I also found a DPMS Recon which seemed pretty nice, is there really a pro to having a piston rifle over a D.I. rifle or not really?

Also would you suggest a scope or a non magnified optic like and eotech?

Scope vs non magnified sight really depends on what you are doing with the rifle. You can always get a 1x4 optic that is really good and have the best of both worlds. I see no real benefit of piston over DI in a normal gun. I believe the piston in an ar was designed to cycle the gun with a 10.5" barrel and supressor where a conventional DI would not function reliably. I have heard that the women like the guys with the piston guns more though.

Back