The 17SD IS a one hole wonder!

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I have hunted predators now for 9 years. One of the best things I ever did was to join this forum. I have met so many great people like Jeff Mock, Tony Tebbe, Kerry Carver, Byron South, Barry, and Scott Milkovich. One of the best things about this site is the plethora of great advice. When these guys speak, I listen. So when I was starting to have problems damaging fur with my Specialized Dynamics .223 Ar-15, I posted up for advice on what caliber would be better suited to fox and bobcats for harvesting fur. I received so many great opinions, in the end I decided to go with the .17 Remington for my new SD AR-15. Scott builds such a great rifle that I had no doubts as to what rifle to use, I was new to the caliber, but I have faith in the advice from the hunters on Predator Masters. I ended up getting an 18in flat top bull barrel on the Father's Day special that Scott ran.

In the past several weeks, I have gotten several foxes, and was very excited to see that the cartridge stopped the foxes in their tracks, and resulted in no fur damage. I had also had run ins with several bobcats, but none presenting a good opportunity for a shot.

Yesterday my friend Dustin told me he was looking at going out this morning. The weather report called for high winds, but Fortune Favors the Bold, so out we went. Dustin and I wanted to go into a very steep and rocky area that tends to attract a lot of hikers. We felt that if we got in early enough we could get in some stands before people started showing up. We got into the area before sun up, and to our surprise we found the canyon that we wanted to call, running with water. There was no way to get across the running creek, so we decided to go in another direction and call a nearby canyon. As soon as the sun came up, so did the winds. The winds were topping 25 mph, and our hopes were dropping. The wind was so bad it blew down the caller, and my hat. Finally, we called it off. We made our way back to the truck, dejected and discussed calling it an early day. But on our way in, we crossed a dry wash, and saw many tracks. So we decided to follow the wash, and give it one more try. We followed the wash until we found crossing tracks, and an intersection of 3 washes. I put the caller and speaker in a tree, and settled in to call. Dustin watched the wash in one direction, I took the other. The winds were still very high, but 5 minutes in, I see a flash of grey up the canyon wall. I focus in on the rocks, and see a large bobcat winding its way down toward the wash. I lost sight of him for a few seconds, when he hopped up onto a rock overlooking the wash, directly in front of me, 80 yards away. I settled onto the scope, centering the crosshairs on the chest, and squeezed off a round. Through the scope I saw the cat go down.
IMG_2454catstand.jpg

Dustin climbed up into the rocks, found the cat, and told me that it looked like a crime scene, that the round had torn up the cat. He climbed back down and we checked the cat. There was a lot of blood on the cat, but no apparent wounds. Turns out when I skinned him out, that the bullet had sctually impacted high on the chest, more in the lower neck area, and had hit the jugular vein. The bullet then passed into the spine in front of the shoulders, pulverizing the spine, killing the cat instantly. No fur damage at all. One hole in, nothing out. The bullet did an amazing amount of damage, but seemd to do it in a more controlled fashion than the .223 does. I am very pleased, and am totally in love with the combination of a great SD rifle, and this cartridge.
IMG_2448.jpg

Couple a great rifle, with a great cartridge, persistance, and good partners, and you will hang a lot of fur.
IMG_2452.jpg

Glad you got to test the .17 on a cat. I wish I could have made it out with you guys, but plans with the family had already been made.

I didn't get to hunt, but I have a freezer full of home made tamales.
thumbup1.gif

Hopefully I can hook up with you and the "bushman" next time.

Congrats.

Nice.

Good to hear the report about the .17 Remington and how it behaves on fur. That may be something in my future one day. I considered having one built a few years back but talked myself out of it, actually went the opposite direction and got a 6x45.

What bullet are you using? How is accuracy?

Beautiful country you guys hunt.

David

Crime scene? I believe mass murder scene is a much better term! There was no doubt that the cat was dead when I crawled up onto those rocks with my pistol drawn. There were pools of blood in every direction within three meters of the cat and the bushes behind and beside him were dripping with a candy red ooze. I threw a rock at him to be sure and he squirted at least another ounce of candy out of his neck. However; I can attest to the fact that the Specialized Dynamics .17 dropped that big ole' cat like a sledge hammer through a glass house and is indeed "a one hole wonder" !

Nice job man....so awsome and OH!!!! did you say you shot it with the 17 Remington? lol........great job with a great gun with a great caller. And Oh!!! Did I hear you say no FUR DAMAGE? And On Foxes as well? Congrats!!!

Quote:In the past several weeks, I have gotten several foxes, and was very excited to see that the cartridge stopped the foxes in their tracks, and resulted in no fur damage.
Quote:There was a lot of blood on the cat, but no apparent wounds. Turns out when I skinned him out, that the bullet had sctually impacted high on the chest, more in the lower neck area, and had hit the jugular vein. The bullet then passed into the spine in front of the shoulders, pulverizing the spine, killing the cat instantly. No fur damage at all. One hole in, nothing out.

Imagine that.
closedeyes.gif

A 17 Rem. you say. Hhmmmm!...................
laugh.gif

Like I've said in other threads, I've had a love affair with the 17 Rem. since 1971 and the above quotes are one of the reasons why. Great caliber.
thumbup.gif

Oh, and RePete had the same results with his "beloved" 17 FB on a recent Cat.

For an all around Fur Saver on Fox, Bobcats, and Coyotes, the 17 caliber centerfires are the real thing. As much as I like the 204, it is just a bit much for Fox and Bobcat, but great on Coyotes.

Congrats to you guys. Nice looking Cat Mo. On the last pic are you praying to the Cat Gods, that must be the trick to getting them in.LOL

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Nice.

Good to hear the report about the .17 Remington and how it behaves on fur. That may be something in my future one day. I considered having one built a few years back but talked myself out of it, actually went the opposite direction and got a 6x45.

What bullet are you using? How is accuracy?

Beautiful country you guys hunt.

David

I am using Remington factory loaded ammunition with the Hornady 25gr Hollow Points. The 20gr Accu-tips were too damaging. When I tested them on a fox carcass.

The accuracy is great. This pic was from my sight in session with a 2-7X scope zeroed at 50 yards.

Sightin1.jpg

Originally Posted By: pitman6302Congrats to you guys. Nice looking Cat Mo. On the last pic are you praying to the Cat Gods, that must be the trick to getting them in.LOL

Just paying homage.

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarNice!

Good story & pics!
You are coming right along to being an accomplished caller!
thumbup1.gif

Thanks. I owe a lot of this to the lessons I learned from you guys here. Sitting and listening to you, Kerry, Byron, tony, Jeff helps so much. I wish everyone could have that chance. Anyone that reads this should do what they can to come out to the PM Convention, so that they can have that opportunity like I have.

Nice cat! The more I read about you guys and your .17 rems, the more and more I want one. I'm in the market for a new AR and am really wanting a 6.8, but the .17 rem definitely looks like a must have. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Man I was out by Superior giving it a go yesterday. Wind was blowing steady 25 and gusting to 50. Some times I couldn't even hear my own caller. 6 stands none called none seen non heard. That is some good hard work nice cat. One of these days all my floundering about will pay off. Any tips you have for set ups in that wind will help.

Back