hey help-22LR question on coyotes

JoeBob1901

i shooting a 22LR semi with thunderbolt ammo and am shooting empty folgers coffee cans and they are making exit holes as round as a finger most of the time-good expansion in my mind-i am gonna go coyote hutning and wondering if this would be good enough for the coyote-i have a 4x15 and would be shooting close range like 100 yards-i am looking at a 243 NEF single shot with a 3-9x50 for 195 total and wondering if i can get by with the 22

Joebob,you can do it with a 22 but I would highly recommend something with a little more power.Unless your shot is perfect you will loose dogs.If you insist on a 22 try Power Pionts or the high velocity Aguillas.You will have better success and more humane kills with something a little bigger.

The 22 Long Rile is not enough gun for coyote. If you want to take up coyote hunting I would suggest a 223 and there is nothing wrong with the NEF rifle. Amo is cheap and the recoil is very minamal. Plain and simple it would be a great beginner gun.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but if you are asking if a .22 LR is enough gun for coyotes the answer is no. It can, has and will kill coyotes but you'd very likely wound a lot more than you would kill.

There is a big difference between shooting coffee cans and killing coyotes.

MOST coffee cans won't run off even on marginal hits.
wink.gif
My recommendation would be to shy away from the 22 lr. Use a centerfire rifle of some flavor or a shotgun if you got it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. The first comment was meant to bring some levity to the topic. In all seriousness though. A 22 lr was never intended to put down game any larger than squirrels or rabbits. Sure you could kill a moose with one if he was hit right but you owe it to yourself and to the coyote to dispatch him with the utmost certainty.

------------------
Brian K. Bentley

Hunting is not just our right, It's our HERITAGE.

[This message has been edited by Brian Bentley (edited 08-20-2001).]

I agree with the others here.
I have shot a LOT of coyotes over the years with a 22 pistol usually while working cows and have had pretty good success doing it.

Most all of the shots were fairly close however usually 50 yards or less and through the ribs.
Coyotes lots of times are not too worried about a guy a horseback and would let me just shoot them right off the back of my horse.

Most all of them either dropped on the spot if hit in the ribs or only ran a short distance.

However that is under almost perfect conditions and close range.

Anything less than perfect shot placement combined with close range and they simply won't bring one down .

JoeBob, If you ever hunted ground hogs with a 22 you will know the effectiveness it can have on coyotes. I can't tell you how many times I've seen whisle pigs thumped with a 22lr. only to run off to expire in it's hole. I mean perfect lung heart shots at 35 yards and less. It took a head/neck shot to be sure that we could gather the hog up to be fed to the dogs. Yes, I've seen some go down on the spot but more hightail it out of there. Just my thoughts.

You'll never stop kicking yourself once you punch a coyote and he runs off because the caliber was too small or you've called him into 110 yds and he's just out of range. Now he's educated-won't see him anytime soon. Make the investment into a 223 or 22/250, or other and you'll have it forever. Single shot arms are fine. Hang around here, you'll pick up much info! Good luck.

Craig Hamilton: "Coyotes lots of times are not too worried about a guy a horseback and would let me just shoot them right off the back of my horse."

Hey Craig,
I'm just trying to figure out how you got those coyotes to jump up on the horse's back so that you could shoot em off from there.
smile.gif

Come to think about what you just posted Rich I had to re-read Craig's post, darn Rich you got a sharp eye
biggrin.gif
hehehehe that was a good come back on your part Rich.
JoeBob Welcome to Predator Masters, JoeBob like everybody has informed you a .22LR will just get you a little up-set when the yote gets back up and runs away. I would also like to say get your self that NEF in .243 for $195.00 like you posted, it will be a good rifle for you and a good round. If you plan on keeping the fur then I would go with a .223 or 22/250 (good luck)

The 22LR is very effective on coyotes...as long as the coyote is in a trap and you shoot him right between the eyes. Any distance further than that and the chances are very good that you will be waving bye bye to that coyote. Some like to claim they will just perform a headshot every time. Those of us living in the real world know this can be tough at times. The 22 LR just doesn't have the poop to reliably provide a humane dispatch every time. My advice is to get a caliber more suited for the task. Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

Hello,
And now you really DO have a real, viable, legitimate excuse for getting a new rifle!! Don't have to think for exotic excuses...

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

thats what i was hoping to hear
wink.gif
-lol-i really wanted this rifle.... guys real nice and will let me pay it off in 45 days when i give him 100 down payment-i can probably give him 150 in a few days and pay the rest off soon but i needed some extra reasurence
smile.gif
-btw-my friend i am gonna hunt them with wil have a 22-250

JoeBob1901 . . .

As to your query I would certainly say that the .22 LR is NOT enough to hunt those Coyotes. A .22 Mag. May be barebones minimal for close shots if under 50 yds.

Myself I prefer a .17 Remington...it zaps 'em like a death ray.

Cas in alaska

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE: www.cgdevelopment.net
Referral # 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com

Referral# 779609

Joebob,
Over the years there have been a lot of Coyotes killed with a 22LR, and unfortunately there have needlessly been that many that have been wounded because the shooter was under gunned. I personally have never dealt with an animal that I
feel has a greater will to survive than the coyote. Coyotes are tough and after I had hunted them for a while, I developed a
respect for them. In no way do I want one to run off wounded because I know that with that tremendous will to survive they will suffer a long time before death finally comes.

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

Back