300 wisper/ blackout

carsonwild

Ok don't know if this has been covered yet.
What I want to know is dose the "300 wisper" stand up to all the hype for a silenced weapon in a Ar-15 platform.
Is it worth the extra cost for the ammo verses a different caliber combo in a subsonic ammo.
Or is it the new wonder round for hog and coyote hunting.

Last edited:
I have one and it is my favorite gun. Mine is a SBR with a Thunderbeast suppressor. I only shoot subsonics that I load for it and it is a sub moa gun. It's a great 100 yard gun with subsonics. If you don't reload it would be expensive to shoot much.

It really comes into it's own if you are shooting subsonics. Loading down a .308 to subsonic can be done, but it is much easier to load a 300 whisper (or 300 Blackout as it is also known).

If you are going to load it supersonic you might as well just go with a .308 since the cost is less and range is better.

Ok so it is only good for hunting at 100 yards or closer.
My buddy thinks he can kill hogs out to 300 yards with it.
Ok peope no one else has any input.
Anything constructive woud be a great help.

Originally Posted By: carsonwild Ok so it is only good for hunting at 100 yards or closer.
My buddy thinks he can kill hogs out to 300 yards with it.
Ok peope no one else has any input.
Anything constructive woud be a great help.

With Supersonics I'd look at it more like a 30-30 type range for your particular game. With 220gr subsonics you're talking a decent amount of energy still, but quite a bit of drop at any longer ranges. Supersonics are still not that loud with a suppressor. To get the full use out of the round you'd want a can though.

If you don't use a suppressor with you might as well get a 308 or a 264LBC/6.5 Grendel in an AR. Without a suppressor I wouldn't even consider a 300.

Yes the will have a suppressor on it.
Apparently it's not worth the hype nobody has them.
And or uses them on a consistent basis for game big game.
And if you don't reload subsonic rounds its not cost affective.

i have one. have shot both supersonic and subsonic, reliable for sure. with only minimal accuracy testing, it shoots ok. i am looking at 1.5 moa with both 220's and 130's. it was intended to be my shorter range supressed night hunting rifle. i have put one round through my 9mm can. the bullet was destabilized and hit way off of the other rounds. so no more rounds through that can. no baffle strike, but too much money to take that chance. now i just need to decide if it is worth the effort and cost to get a 308 can. without a can on it, it is just another caliber. and one with impressive for its size ballistics, but against other calibers not so impressive.

Has anyone shot a 6.8 SPC subsonic round with a can on it.
Or a 6.8 SPC supersonic with a can.
How does the 6.8 compare with the 300 wisper.
Can you get or exceed the performance of the 300 whisper with a diffarnt caliber you can put in a AR-15 Platform with a can and subsonic and supersonic ammo.

You could get better ballistics from a 6.5 Grendel/264LBC and it is built for the AR platform. Never loaded subsonics for it though, or even really looked into it.

I don't have much real world experience hunting with a can though since it is illegal to hunt with one in WY. From everything I've heard just shooting suppressed without subsonics makes it hard for game to locate the shot. Hopefully the ban will be lifted here soon and I can get some more experience to back it up.

Yes, the game will still hear the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. But, if I remember right the sound waves of the sonic boom is directed horizontally from the direction of travel whereas the muzzle blast waves are directed at the intended target.

Dont know about the 6.8 but standard rounds shout from a 308 with a can sound like a 22 lr using a stinger. You can shoot without hearing protection with no problem. All you basically hear is a high pitch crack without the boom!

Here is you a ballistics chart for 220 gn subsonics.

18743829.jpg

300 Whisper is a trademarked name and is more expensive to buy stuff for. 300 Blackout and 300/221 FB (some times called the 300 whatever) are essentially the same thing but not trademarked, so prices are lower.

I have a 300 blackout. It is a toy that I have yet to shoot a coyote with. No suppressor is "hollywood" quiet and generally all exceed the 85 Decibels which is considered the threshold for hearing safe. I think any wildcat, reloading is a requirement.

If you are looking for a 30 cal cartridge that is able to run subsonic and reach to 300 yards, I think the 308 Win is probably the ticket. Keep in mind that a 308 subsonic and a 300 whisper subsonic do exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HPWYou could get better ballistics from a 6.5 Grendel/264LBC and it is built for the AR platform. Never loaded subsonics for it though, or even really looked into it.

I don't have much real world experience hunting with a can though since it is illegal to hunt with one in WY. From everything I've heard just shooting suppressed without subsonics makes it hard for game to locate the shot. Hopefully the ban will be lifted here soon and I can get some more experience to back it up.

Yep, we are one of the most free and cowboy/rancher states around and suppressors are a nono for some reason. The best part is they are ok on the range but illegal in a "game field", of which there is no definition.

As such its an ambiguous and therefor unenforceable law, that is enforced. Irritating as an ex cop. We can smoke a predator with LITTERALLY anything, as long as it makes noise.

As soon as there is at least a definition, im building one.

I shoot 308 subs with a can. Bolt gun. I am also thinking about AR 300 blackout upper. I can kill stuff out to 200 yards if you know the dope. That big bullet really thumps. Sorry about going off thread a little bit. But 308 and 300 whispers are the same when both are loaded sub sonic. I think you would really enjoy it for shots under 200 yards. Supersonic isn't bad when shooting 30 cals suppressed. Depends on suppressor. But they sound more like a air chuck releasing. Bullet noise about that of a 22 long rifle. If you miss a live target they have a tendency to run toward you because the crack is behind them. Which suppressor do you have or looking at getting?
If you were haveing it for a dedicated whisper can. You can get a smaller lighter suppressor. Which I recommend. My .02

To save you some headache, you can shoot 7.62x39 thru many 308 cans which is a step closer to subsonic than the 308. Might save you a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: carsonwildOk well looks like the 300 whisper is a bunch of hype.
So I guess ill find a better chose.

300BLK/Whisper is a great round for subsonic. Its one of the only, if not THE only, that was designed to be able to shoot subsonic AND supersonic loads, function in a semi automatic AR15, AND fit in standard mags. The round is getting a ton of industry backing being SAAMI spec'd and even having special bullets made for it now.

If you're wanting a cheap plinker..then it isn't the round for you. If you want a really versatile caliber for a suppressor then its 10X better than a 7.62x39. 7.62x39's use many more different parts than a 5.56/300BLK upper would, as well as different magazines, and it isn't ideal for subsonics.

Back