AZ Regulations on Night Hunting Coyotes & Lions Now Available

Fursniper

The AZ Game and Fish Dept. amended the 2011-12 hunting regulations booklet this week. This is the second time this year the hunt booklet has been revised. Hard copies of the hunt booklet are NOT available at license dealers. To get the latest revision you must download it from the AGFD website at http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_rules.shtml

The latest revision was to Mountain Lions and Coyotes to allow night hunting seasons in specific areas where lions have caused declines in bighorn sheep and where coyotes have caused problems with antelope fawn survival. There is no night hunting seasons on bobcats, foxes, and rabbits.

Mountain Lions:
Night hunting for lions became retroactive to when the general lion season started, but only in units that mainly have bighorn sheep. See page 59 for the specific units that are open. There is also a new Note in the Commission Orders that states, (Note 27) In units listed with this note, mountain lions may be taken at night with the aid of artificial light; however, the light may not be attached to or operated from a vehicle.
It is now legal to take mountain lions with shotguns shooting shot because the AGFD Commission made several changes to Commission Rule R12-4-304 which took effect on December 9, 2011.

Coyotes:
A new spring season for night hunting coyotes was established in units that have antelope to minimize depredation on antelope fawns. Night hunting coyotes is only by shotgun and archery. See page 70 for season dates and which units will be open. There is also a new "Note" in the Commission Orders that states, (Note 22) In units listed with this note, coyotes may be taken at night with the aid of artificial light; however, the light may not be attached to or operated from a vehicle.
There is nothing mentioned about the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge being closed to using artificial light and there should be. The USFWS does not allow hunting with artificial lights on any national wildlife refuge.

Well I have to hope that the dates is a typo!!!
It says Mar 1 - May 31,2011 which means it closed before it ever opened or they are going to be putting it in the new printed version for 2012?

Sounds like fun. Although I bet every one and their mother will be out in the open units.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jcfd2201Well I have to hope that the dates is a typo!!!
It says Mar 1 - May 31,2011 which means it closed before it ever opened or they are going to be putting it in the new printed version for 2012?

Good catch on the error in season dates. I received information that the daylong coyote season dates are March 1, 2012 to May 31, 2012. The season dates are typically revised and approved each April, but this year was unusual. I'm thinking the AGFD will probably correct the typo on the downloadable version soon because a printed version for the 2012-2013 hunting regulations would not be available at license dealers until late May 2012.

The AGFD has updated the 2011-2012 hunting regulations that is only available online at http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_rules.shtml.

The amended version now includes the revised Commission Rule R12-4-304 that became effective December 9, 2011. This is a big deal because there are alot of changes here. Below is a brief overview of the changes.

Dogs were included as a method of take for predator hunting. They always have been, but now it is actually defined in a Commission Rule.

The draw weight on bows for archery hunting was decreased from 40 to 30 pounds. This will allow more women and youth who cannot pull a 40 pound bow to archery hunt. This was also changed due to technology and the ability of newer bows to provide more kinetic energy. Another change is that archers can now put a lock back system on their bow to hold the string back for seasons when crossbows are allowed.

Mountain lions can now be taken with shotguns shooting shot.

Daylong shooting seasons were allowed for coyotes and lions. Daylong shooting hours means the 24 hour period from midnight to midnight. Artificial light is also allowed for hunting lions and coyotes. This means no night vision scopes and no night vision equipment. Check Commission Orders 10 and 13 for which units are open and the season dates.

Upland game birds can now be taken with pnuematic weapons. If you live in a municipality outside of a metro unit, you could put a quail block in your yard and shoot quail with a pellet gun, provided it is safe to do so.

REMINDER: City ordinances that restrict the taking of wildlife became null and void when amendments to ARS 13-3108 and 13-3107 took effect on July 20, 2011. The AGFD has closed areas to hunting at airports, golf courses, preserves, city or county parks, and water treatment plants. The archery only javelina season is January 1-26, 2012. There are a ton of nuisance javelina in urban areas and archery javelina tags can be purchased over the counter for metro units. Just ask Santa to get you a tag for Christmas. The bag limit is 1 javelina per calendar year. Archery hunters can also shoot coyotes, bobcats, and small game in the city limits while pursuing javelina. Be sure to read the new Notes in the amended hunting regulations for special closures because there are alot of changes.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

I've read and re-read the revised regs.

I don't see where it restricts you to using a shotgun for night hunting lions. I know the original press release said it was going to restrict the night hunting to shotguns only.

Revised R12-4-304 does not restrict night hunting of Mt Lions to shotguns only. The way it reads to me a centerfire rifle is ok.

Anyone see the shotgun restriction in the revised regulations?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI've read and re-read the revised regs.

I don't see where it restricts you to using a shotgun for night hunting lions. I know the original press release said it was going to restrict the night hunting to shotguns only.

Revised R12-4-304 does not restrict night hunting of Mt Lions to shotguns only. The way it reads to me a centerfire rifle is ok.

Anyone see the shotgun restriction in the revised regulations?

Mountain lions can be taken with centerfire firearms and with shotguns shooting shot during the lion night hunting seasons. It is only the night hunting seasons for coyotes that are restricted to shotguns and archery. There is an overlap in GMU's 31 and 32 where night hunting coyotes and lions could occur at the same time. In that case, coyotes cannot be taken with centerfire guns after daylight hours.

Fursniper wrote:

There are a ton of nuisance javelina in urban areas and archery javelina tags can be purchased over the counter for metro units. Just ask Santa to get you a tag for Christmas. The bag limit is 1 javelina per calendar year.

I will be in Arizona Archery hunting Javelina in January.

Any idea on where to get a Nusiance tag or is that for in state hunters only?

We will be hunting between Wilcox and Safford January 5th - 13th or so......

Thank you!

Kevin

Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindFursniper wrote:

There are a ton of nuisance javelina in urban areas and archery javelina tags can be purchased over the counter for metro units. Just ask Santa to get you a tag for Christmas. The bag limit is 1 javelina per calendar year.

I will be in Arizona Archery hunting Javelina in January.

Any idea on where to get a Nusiance tag or is that for in state hunters only?

We will be hunting between Wilcox and Safford January 5th - 13th or so......

Thank you!

Kevin

See Commission Order 6 at the top of page 18 in the 2012 Spring Javelina Regulations for "Archery Only Nonpermit Tag Spring Javelina." The GMU's open for over the counter javelina tags (nonpermit tags) do not include those between Wilcox and Safford. The nonpermit tags are only for units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11M, 25M, 26M, 38M, 47M. The METRO units are what I was primarily referring to. Sorry if I misled in my post. The nonpermit tags can be puchased at license dealers and are available for non-residents. If you have been drawn for a javelina permit for a different GMU, you could purchase a nonpermit tag. Just do not kill more than 1 javelina per calendar year statewide.

Back