Remington 770 any good?

rynokron

Saw them today at my local wally world. They had a .270 and a .243 both with 3x9x40 cheapie scopes for $297. Had the x mark trigger and detachable box magazine. Felt a little heavy, but stout. Are they decent shooters? Looking for a all around calling gun that I don't have to treat nice.

Sounds OK to me for what you want. Not too likely you ever going to get MOA accuracy out of it but for a calling gun that may get a beat up a bit I think you be just fine.

I may go for the .243 if it was me and who knows? A little bit of fine tuning with some handloads may be all it needs to be a real tackdriver- but don't get your hopes up.

Originally Posted By: getfoxySpend the 300$ and get a package deal savage axis. It too has a detachable magazine. Heads and shoulders above the 770.

I did not think about that. Gary is right- the Savage would be my choice as well. Or you may want to cruise your local pawn shops and see what kind of deal that they will make you on a used Rem 700 or the like. If it is in a deer caliber like a .243 on up it is pretty unlikely that it will be shot out.

If you can hold off till the holidays are over and hunting season is at its end, there will be tons of rifles in the pawn shops and gun shows pretty reasonably priced. The 770 is probably my least favorite Remington. Very "entry level" rifle IMO.

was looking at a 770 for a friend and found the bolt to be very loose. he ended up getting a savage axis and was shooting 1" @ 100 yards with horandy v max alot nicer bolt in the gun also.

No 770 for me. I'd save a little more and get an ADL package deal. Or the Axis deal isnt a bad option. Keep an eye out for a good used deal too! But I would never own a 770.

Check out the Marlin X7 bolt action. It is priced along the same lines and a way better gun than either the Savage or 770 in my opinion. I couldnt be happier with the .308 I bought.

Local wallyworld has the sps for 397 and the 770 for 440 so I think I would go for the sps and Im not a remmy fan ! that being said I dont think the 770 is much of a gun look for a used savage 110 or stevens 200 or even the marlin

Thanks guys. Figured as much. Seems too cheap to be any good. I will wait until I can get something worth having instead of buying something cheap.

Dont confuse "worth having" with high cost. The savage edge are very much worth having as long as value is measured in performance and not fancy wood. Personally ill take a great shooter at 300 over a pretty gun that hopefully shoots as well for twice the cost. Spend another 130 on redfield glass and youll have a combo that will make you happy for a long time.

The 770 will do the job, but should be a $200 rifle imo. Lacks both looks and performance. Will do fine enough for many shooters though.

I have the Savage Edge (Axis) and the Remington 770. Savage is 22-250 and the Remington is 30-06. The 770's have been slammed on the internet for a long time.

My personal experience with the 770 is the box magazine just doesn't look like a real smooth fit along the bottom of the gun, but it works flawlessly. The bolt on the 770 is a bit rough from the factory but after working it a bit it smoothes out.

In my book the Axis would be the preferred cheap gun, and after that the 770 due to the detachable box magazine. I won't own a gun without one.

The 770's stock is more robust compared to the Axis on my 2 guns. No flex on the 770, although I don't have an issue with the Axis. The way the 770's stock is shaped with the shape of the trigger my hand feels like it's molded right in there.

Trigger from the factory goes to the 770 for a lighter pull, but I lightened up the Edge trigger for $0 to where it rivals my accutrigger.

Safety position and feel goes to the Axis. Remington is ok, but the Axis has a nice big thumb sized switch.

Accuracy is a wash. The Remington is very consistant and that's with the cheap scope that came mounted on it. I shoot the 22-250 more just because of the recoil issue with the 30-06. I have shot 1 inch and less groups with the Edge but to be honest I only shoot the 770 at the beginning of deer season to make sure it's sighted in. 2 shots is the most I can take in a row but they are normally within a half inch of each other.

I would expect the Axis in 30-06 would jolt the shoulder pretty well too.

Neither one will be something to pass down for generations.
Both will kill game.

Owning both, if I was looking for an entry level rifle I would get the Savage Axis and never look back. Best value for the money out there.

Back