Help me convince myself that I need a 17 rem

Well, it's no secret around here how I feel about the 17Rem as a fur getter so I'll just say,,,
"If you save fur you NEED a 17rem" and leave it at that. ;>)

Originally Posted By: Varmint Masterwhy do you say that beagler? i thought you could load a 17 rem to a FB but not the other way around? not hating on you just curious and im .17 cal stupid

From my experience they are both pretty Dang close to eachother. I had a 17 fireball that threw 27 grain kindlers out at 3800 fps. That's 17 REM speeds with less powder. I am not trying to talk you out of a 17 REM and into a furball by any means . If it matters I still have a 17 REM and have sold the furball. Trust if you reload you will love a 17!

I sure liked shooting mine and somedays I wish I still had one of them. Now I know guys have done well with 17Rems on redfox,but I ruined to many,so I quite using it. A diff bullet maybe the ticket,not sure though.

Yotes ,not a problem.

If I ever got another it would be in a custom barrel ,that's forsure.

VERY FUN round,to say the least .
smile.gif

Varmint Master said:
So i have been doing alot of reading and thinking I need a 17 rem, probably in the CZ platform. I don't know a whole lot about the cartridge, but I know there is alot of fellas on here that do. So I am not wanting to start a battle on here but i would like to know what my max range on a fox could be? What pills you guys are shooting, what velocity and trajectories. And pretty much any pro's and con's on the caliber. I have owned .204,.223,22-250, and .243 in bolt and ar platforms and im just in the mood for something small and different. That said, I appreciate all the responses and thanks! [/quote

Is Fox your primary target?, If so, then you would be better off looking at the 17 AH or 17 Hornet and quite possibly the 17 Fireball. I have had pretty good luck in the past using a 17 Rem on Fox and at that time the 25gr. sp Rem. bullet. That bullet is no longer available, but one of the 20gr. bullets would probably be the ticket now. I'm not sure I would use a 20gr. VMax bullet, but I personally don't like plastic bullets so you might not want to listen to me. A 20 or 25gr.hp Nagel is what I would use.
A fella on another website is using a factory CZ 17 Rem. and 30gr. bullets on Coyotes. He has been very successful with that combination this year. Some of his shots have been ranged out to around 300yds. if memory serves my well.
As has already been stated, the 17 Rem. is a very fun round and is my favorite caliber. Unlike some of these 17 Geeks on here, I limited myself to only 4 of them.
scared.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: K22
As has already been stated, the 17 Rem. is a very fun round and is my favorite caliber. Unlike some of these 17 Geeks on here, I limited myself to only 4 of them.
scared.gif
laugh.gif

Well done.
I appreciate a man that shows some restraint and common sence. ;>)

Back on topic.
I've heard from some pretty reliable sources that what Tim and K22 say about the 17Rem being a bit to much for Fox is true, but since we don't have any around here, I'll leave that discussion to them.
I will say again though, that for an "All Around" fur getter, the 17Rem's a natural.
For Fox only, I'd look at the new 17HH or maybe the 17FB, but again, that's speculation on my part.

If you're still undeceided, best to get all three.
That's what I did.

With bullets, brass and primers being of similar cost between the 17 Rem and the 17 FB, and the powder amounting to a penny or so difference between them, 17 Remington can be more, or less if you want to handload and download for it as needed. I believe in IA you could use the extra oooomph occasionally, both on distance and on yotes. Here in PA, probably not so much - less yotes, more fox, shorter distances to see to shoot in general. From what I've seen, anything over a 17 or 22mag/22hornet gets hard on fox fur unless downloading like ackleyman re'd above. He'd know.

Heck, get one of each, do a full loading, target and field analysis, and get back to us on it! LOL!!!

I think it is very important that the OP designate whether the main fur bearer is Fox with the occasional Coyote or the main fur bearer is a Coyote with the occasional Fox. That would determine if I would wait for the 17 HH to come out next Spring or if I would order a 17 Rem.
The 17AH or 17 HH is the ultimate Fox caliber out to around 250yds.

Back