Coyote Injured or deformed

daddyflea

MommaFlea was particularly irritating last night and I got a late start this morning. I had a hard time deciding where I wanted to go since to me, the Weather was perfect. It was cold about 35 degrees and foggy.

I decided on a place that I had not hunted in a while that required about a 45 minute drive. I arrived well after Daylight and the Rancher was feeding his Cows.

I took my own advice and resisted driving on the property and just walked in the gate to call. I spooked one that was eating on a Dead Cow placing the Caller. I was not even aware the Cow was there until it was too late. No takers after this.

I went to another entrance and had my doubts. It was too open and the only cover was a Gravel Pit about 800yds off. There was even a Track Loader working in the Pit. I saw two grown up Fence Lines so I decided to call.

I tried Luscious Lips first and saw nothing. I switched to DSG Cottontail and after several minutes, I was going to call it, when I saw a Coyote limping through the open field. He was not headed to the call, but was clearly trying to Wind it. I muted the CS 24 and he stopped quick. He seemed very nervous. The shot was farther than I like to shoot, but it was clear this Coyote was very nervous. I estimated the range at just under 200 and had to increase the power on my scope. The Coyote spotted my movement but simply looked right at me. The shot broke good and he went down.

1209A.jpg

This is how he fell shot in the neck, which meant I was a little high. I Lasered the shot at 153.

I remembered that he had been limping and it suddenly hit me that I did not see his Right Leg. I rolled him over to find this.

1209B.jpg

There was no leg there. This was a completely Healthy Coyote except he had no Right Front Leg. I could see no wound at all. Here is a closer picture.

1209G.jpg

I moved on scratching my head. My next stand was beautiful. Had to see a Coyote at this stand. I set up on an Elevated area thinking the Coyote would sneak through the low area and I would ambush him as soon as he hit the Elevation.

The Coyote came from the open field and I was Skylined. He was at least 250 when he saw me. He was a big nice Male and started Trotting off. I had a good Broadside shot and I yelled "Ruff." He stopped behind the only Brush around. Knowing I would not get another shot, I squeezed the shot and it was true. Right into a tree limb. That Coyote was in HYPER Drive. He ran toward an area where he was confined by the River. I kept calling and saw another Coyote headed to the same area but did not get a shot.

I picked up and took my time headed to this area. I found a picture perfect place to make a stand. I put the "sneak on" and got set up. I used all kinds of Bird calls, simply because I had not played any on the previous stand. Nothing came. I set there about 5 minutes in silence then played the FoxPro version of a locator. Coyote Pair Yips and Howls. Since it was Foggy and overcast, I thought they might answer. Did not happen. On the second cycle, the big Male came back bouncing in with his hair standing on end. A 160 yd shot took him down.

1209D.jpg

I moved on to another great looking stand that was dry as was the next.

I set up next to a solid field of Cactus. Luscious Lips didn't work, nor did DSG Cottontail. I switched to a Johnny Stewart Cottontail and was Texting my Taxidermist about the 3 Legged Coyote, when I saw a Coyote Tip Toeing through the Cactus. He cleared the Cactus and increased his speed just as I shot. The shot hit too far back and I had to shoot him twice.

1209E.jpg

Most laid back hunt I have had in a while.

1209F.jpg

wow a three legged coyote looks pretty healthy for being a gimp. maybe a bad shot when he was a pup. either way looks like a dang fine day.

Amazing what these animals can do.. I left my lab with 3 toes home from a recent duck hunt because I couldn't find his vest and it was very cold. I felt pretty silly when another guy let his lab with 3 legs and no vest out of the truck and straight into the boat. Tough animals.

i shot two 3 legged dogs last year, one was missing the front leg, the other had the rear leg still in place but all tucked up against the body and immovable.

2 years ago i shot the leg off of one.

tough little bastards

I have killed two with three legs. Both appeared very healthy until they ran into Mr VMax. Both had full stomach's when killed. One was very fat and making his living killing geese.

I shot one a few weeks ago that only had three legs. The front one was missing just like yours but wasn't healed over completely yet. The ball of the shoulder socket bone was just sticking out and it was mostly healed around it.

He was wise to the hunting game and I had to shoot him as he ran straight away. But he didn't get away this time.

He was running with another coyote and the three legged coyote appeared to be the leader of the pair.

Amazing that there seems to be so many. I would have thought this was extremely rare. I could understand one that had a bad Wound, but the Healthy ones astound me. Wonder why their wound does not get infected?

It looks to me like your three legged coyote at one time got caught in a snare. The band on his neck is a dead give away. He had the cut off leg through the snare and around his neck. He cut the snare with his teeth, but the loop stayed tight around him a long time. It cut off the blood to the leg, and he lost it.

Sounds like a great day! I too shot a tripod a few years back, and it wasnt even limping.. I had no idea a leg was missing until I went to retrieve it. Good shootin!

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesIt looks to me like your three legged coyote at one time got caught in a snare. The band on his neck is a dead give away. He had the cut off leg through the snare and around his neck. He cut the snare with his teeth, but the loop stayed tight around him a long time. It cut off the blood to the leg, and he lost it.

I went back and got the original picture where he was laying on his Right side and blew it up. You are exactly right. I never looked that close.

Back