Primos Randy Anderson diaphragm coyote mouth calls?

I have found the LilDog and KiYi to be very easy to learn and use. Both have been very productive for my style.
This gave me a baseline to know what I was looking for in custom calls. I have bought from several makers here with satisfaction.
I still carry those two calls often after many years of use. Many of the others I have bought and tossed in a box after problem performance or very low success.

If you are refering to the diaghrams, i have been trying to get them down pat but i can't seem to get a lot of volume out of them or keep a smooth howl. Maybe i just dont have the lung capacity. The hand calls on the other hand i love. I cant seem to get the hot dog to work, but the lil dog and mini howler are a lot easier to use and sound great. The primos distress calls also sound great. I am big fan of the double cotton.

If you're gonna go the diaphragm route I highly highly suggest TC Diaphragms. They're all I use anymore and THEY WORK GREAT. You can get em from Torry Cook (cookstaxi), a member of this forum.

AAA+ on the TC Diaphragms!!

I love them and with a few hours practice you will get the feel for them in your mouth and all of the sudden you will amaze yourself at the sounds you can produce.

I always keep one in my cheek and slide it over if I have a coyote coming to the call so that I can use it for a ki-yi immediately after I take a shot. I find that my reed calls and electronic calls are more realistic than my diaphragms are so I don't use them other than that.

Try some Tc diaphragms they are the most realistic calls on the market as far as "hand" calling is concerned. You can get ahold of torry on here or send me a pm and I can get you in touch with him.

Last edited:
Look at some of the "Custom Calls" and you will be amazed at the ease of blowing most of the calls made by custom call makers on this site.

Have not bought a bad call yet!

Randy Andersons (Primos) howlers are made out of Cheap/Plastic and you get what you pay for!

Now go look in the Custom Calls section......

Quote:I cant the hotdog to work right either

I have called some in with the Hot Dog but it is a temperamental temperature sensitive air hog. There have been threads on this. My fix was to put a Yellerdog mouth piece in it, good fix.

I really like the Little Dog also.
I couldn't get the hang of the diaphragm call either. It would either make me gag or I would half spit it out. . Finally my dog ate it. Litterly , so it's not around to bother me any more. .
A bunch of people on pm seem to hate Randy Anderson. I really enjoy his videos and have had good sucess with Primos calls. .

Welcome to PM.

Don't try to put to much air throught the Hot Dog or it won't work correctly. Big call means big air but not with this one. That is my finding. Practice a little and you will see what I mean.

Tony

I get along real well with the double reed diaphragm from primos. It has held up well, too. I don't get along with the sonic dome diaphragm. I feel that my diaphragm calls are the most versatile calls I own, but they are lower on the volume scale.

Originally Posted By: ARDaveTC Diaphragms are the way to go there. You won't find a more realistic call.

+1 ^. Just to give you an idea of what the TC's sounds like:

I'm by no means the best using them, but I love them and they're the only calls I use anymore--for everything including howling, distress, coaxing, etc....

Originally Posted By: MerditI get along real well with the double reed diaphragm from primos. It has held up well, too. I don't get along with the sonic dome diaphragm. I feel that my diaphragm calls are the most versatile calls I own, but they are lower on the volume scale. .

I had the sonic dome. It wasn't my idea of a good time.
I'll try a TC. If I can get the right sounds out of it, I can amp up the volume with my fiberglass moose call. I do that with my open Reed calls and it really makes them louder.

I think you may be "Fibbing" a bit?

I have heard you work the TC Calls-------- I have worked them a lot lately and i think i might be right up there with you Jason:)

I'm by no means the best using them, but I love them and they're the only calls I use anymore--for everything including howling, distress, coaxing, etc....
[/quote]

I just use the turkey single & double reed diaphragms as well as the elk cow diaphragms for 99% of my coyote calling.
Been using them for eons and you sure can get the sounds/volume you want/need.
1st time ever using them you will have the vomit effect, that is you will want to hack them out until you get used to them in your mouth.
I use them in tandom with hand calls....makes for very fast/pair coyotes or coyote over rabbit distress sounds.

Back