17 HMR and Bobcats.

gethuntin

Well lets not let this thread get out of hand but anyone have expierence with the HMR and cats? I have a few stands that a cat might show up and i dont want to blow up cat with my 243 or 223. My 223 would work buts the 50 gr vmax can make a pretty good hole and its a heavy gun. so i kinda ruled it out LOL. So i am leaning towards my HMR for those stands and i should get shots under a 100 yards, never shot one before so i dont know how tough of a critter they are. . so i dont if its a super bad idea or not. I know a good shot will take out about anything but???

Never shot a bobcat with an HMR but I have with shot several with a .223 that were well hit and still ran. I saw one well hit with a 6mmDTI and a 70-75 grain bullet than ran 20 yards or so. All were recovered, but they ran anywhere from 10-40 yards.

If I was using a 17hmr I would stick to a head shot only if I really wanted to get my hands on him.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerNever shot a bobcat with an HMR but I have with shot several with a .223 that were well hit and still ran. I saw one well hit with a 6mmDTI and a 70-75 grain bullet than ran 20 yards or so. All were recovered, but they ran anywhere from 10-40 yards.

If I was using a 17hmr I would stick to a head shot only if I really wanted to get my hands on him.

Agreed!

The couple of threads that I have read lately, here, and in the predator hunting section, put bobcats up as "tough as" or "tougher" than coyotes to put down. Is it due to shot placement? I would think that a good shot would equal a dead Bobcat? I have always given Bobcats a free pass when called in, just because.. But it makes me wonder about the needed fire power to put one down. Are they really that tough? Wouldnt a 22 Mag or maybe a Hornet with 40-50 grn bullets be sufficiant? Interesting read..

I've shot two cats with the 17 HMR. One was a neck shot at 90 yards and the cat is now a full mount in my living room. The second was shot in the chest at 35 yards. He tipped over and then got up and took off. We tracked him for 400 yards and never found him. That was the last cat I ever shot with the 17 HMR. In my opinion just too small to anchor the animal. As has been mentioned, shot placement is everything, but I'd rather anchor an animal with a larger caliber, than risk losing them with the smaller 17 HMR.

BTW, I've used the 204 exclusively for the last several years and have taken many cats with it, with minimal pelt damage.

Quote:The second was shot in the chest at 35 yards. He tipped over and then got up and took off. We tracked him for 400 yards and never found him. That was the last cat I ever shot with the 17 HMR.

My guess is that you missed the chest. At 35 yards one hit in the chest is a dead cat, even with a .22.

Nobody is saying you can't kill one or many with a .17hmr. Just saying you should expect some runners.

If I was in an area where you only get one or very few chances at a cat, I would use something else. If you can live with possible having one get away, go for it.

all really good info and advice to consider. its very heavy stands of cedars hundreds of acres actually so if i get a runner i dont want it to run far and i want some blood to follow so the HMR might be staying at home.I wont have many chances at cats so i want to make sure he gets in the truck.

I don't know that they're that tough, but that they just don't know they're dead yet even when shot well.
laugh.gif

5 pellets of #4 buckshot at 20 yards and a rear broken leg didn't stop my bobcat making it another 40-50 yards to cover before it expired.

I use a HMR. 17 when calling Bobcats , I have also dropped quite a few coyotes with the same gun ... BUT I only use Hornady V-MAX bullets ... If I dont use my 17 I use my 22 mag becuase alot of prime public hunting spots in oklahoma are RIM FIRE ONLY. We have dropped Hogs running with the HMR.17 , I personally seen a coyote shot , running quartering away at 120 yrds one shot one kill !!!

Originally Posted By: 64kodiak Quote:The second was shot in the chest at 35 yards. He tipped over and then got up and took off. We tracked him for 400 yards and never found him. That was the last cat I ever shot with the 17 HMR.

My guess is that you missed the chest. At 35 yards one hit in the chest is a dead cat, even with a .22.

64, that's a bold statement. Were you there? How many cats have you shot? Cats are tough and with all the blood this one lost, he definitely ended up dead, but unrecovered. As you said, your statement is just a guess...and I know what those are worth.

Bobcats are like any other critter from a field mouse to an elephant.....hit them in the right place, and they are dead. Hit them in the wrong place, and they run off leaving us to lay the blame on other things, such as an inadequate caliber. I have killed all my cats with a 223 using the 50 Grain V-Max, and it doesn't tear them up too bad. But, a 17HMR should be just about right for a 25 pound bobcat, providing the shooter does their part.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Bobcats are like any other critter from a field mouse to an elephant.....hit them in the right place, and they are dead. But, a 17HMR should be just about right for a 25 pound bobcat, providing the shooter does their part.

I assume your first comment is speculation due to your last comment quoted above.

There's just too many people saying "should be" rather than "it is" on field performance these days.

I would seriously beg to differ. I've shot bobcats and coyotes square in the chest with my 222 that ran off to die somewhere else. Of course I was using the wrong bullet for the job but I was young and inexperienced.

Consider the weight and velocity of a 17 HMR bullet and then consider that bobcats have bones around their chest area and then consider that the bullet has to penetrate deep enough to actually cause mortal damage to one or more of the bobcat's organs. It's a risky proposition any way you cut it. As much as I love hunting I hate causing an animal to suffer.

It cracks me up that every time this subject comes up the keyboard killers come out in droves. The answer is no, a 17 HMR is not the proper tool for the job. It will not consistently put down a bobcat or a coyote. Very few of us have the skill required to make a head shot every single time.

I've hunted with switch. He seldom misses and knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Elephant hunters used to use 7x57 mausers to kill them. It will kill but would it be your first choice? I think not.

Respect the game your after and use enough gun.

Wouldn't a 22 Hornet or a 17 Hornet be better as a minium?

Just my $0.12.

Hey, I'm not gonna get into this .17hmr vs. bobcat fight and would never talk someone out of a gun purchase but what about downloading his .223? Should be great on cats and fox but still big enough for coyote in case one shows up.

Just sayin, CB

well i had my first run in with a cat last night finally trapped one. I came to the conclusion that yes they are very tough. I shot him point blank with a .22 hp through the lungs and he never flinched just stared at me. It took him about 30 to 40 seconds before he started to cough. In the end it took him over almost 2 minutes to expire. Obviously a 22 is not going to cause alot of trama but he took it like champ def a tough critter.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...539#Post2074539

Last edited:
Back