BOBCAT PELTS

BEARDOGGER

Whats to best way to stretch bobcat hides? Some guys say do it like coyote with the legs straight out. But others say to Nevada stretch them and you will get more out of them when you go to sell them, but I am unfamiliar with the Nevada stretch, so I'm not sure whats better. Any info would be great!!

Thanks,
Wyatt

Last edited:
Do you have a fur buyer lined up? If so, ask him how he wants them done.
Our local fur buyer DOES NOT want the legs sticking out. It just creates a problem for him when he goes to bail them for shipping.
He wants cats stretched out so that the the front legs are stretched up and tacked by the mouth area. That way you can see more of the white and spots on the inside of the legs.
He also really wants you to pin the ears down flat to the board.
He's our only local buyer so I do it the way he wants it.
HTH

I was gunna send all mine to the NAFA, when I called them they were telling me prices twice as high as the local fur buyers. But there is a guy my buddy sells all of his bobs to that wants to legs straight out. But I thought that might just be because he wants to pay less for the hides then they would be worth if you Nevada stretched them. But like I said I'm only familiar with the legs straight out, so I couldn't be sure. Is there anything special to the Nevada stretch or is the only difference the legs up toward to mouth?

Thanks
Wyatt

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Nebraska stretch that you mention.
Hopefully someone will chime in and explain it. Maybe with a picture.
I'll go google it now....

It is the Nevada stretch,notice how the front legs are and that the back legs are pinned together. This gives the appearance of a longer belly
P1000173.jpg

Thats what it is the Nevada stretch! The wooden stretchers I got don't have the wooden board going up the middle, and when you put the legs together like that doesn't it put a bunch of slack between them?

I have done it both ways and last year I just cut the front legs short and got my highest prices ever, topping out at 735 for one tom. I use a wood stretch then I cut 19 inches off the top of a coon stretcher and use it on my wood stretcher for the head and neck area this will gain you a good 3 inches on every cat, turning large cats into xlarge cats, just make sure that the belly is pinned straight across at the bottom that way no matter where the buyer measures to he will get the same number, cuz I have seen them measure to the shortest spot especially if the cat is on the boarder of being an xlarge to large cat. Hope this makes sense, basically you can get more out of your cat depending on what you do on the stretcher.

Originally Posted By: paloduroIt is the Nevada stretch,notice how the front legs are and that the back legs are pinned together. This gives the appearance of a longer belly
P1000173.jpg

Are those Otis Latham stretchers?

The boards that EJ Reichenbach are explaining are the only way to go, in my opinion. My friend Tom Krause taught me how to build them and get alot more strecth out of them. Longer cat= more money.

Back