Night hunting in Wyoming??

Dead Down Wind

PM members,

Does anyone have the in's and out's of Night hunting Coyotes in Wyoming??
Legal? Not Legal?

If legal -
Lights
Gun mounted
Caliber
Etc.........

Thank you!

Legal on private property with written permission.
You are not able to have any light source with the scope setup like a laser, infrared light etc.
You may use a small flashlight to light your way to a set or stand as its considered a safety consideration, BUT you cannot use it to scan the area. I got this straight from the game warden here in town
You can use only "natural" lighting like the moon.

I cut/paste this off the Wyo. G & F "FAQ" site.
Q. Is it OK to hunt coyotes at night?
A. No it is not, at least if you're on public land. Wyoming law prohibits the taking of wildlife with the aid of artificial light or a lighting device. If you are on private land you may use a light to take animals classified as predators provided you have written permission from the landowner.

Q. Can I use my spotlight to hunt predators?
A. Wyoming law prohibits the use of artificial light to hunt any wildlife except that predators may be taken by aid of artificial light if on private land and written permission from the landowner is obtained. Predators may not be hunted using artificial light on public lands with the exception that racoons may be taken by aid of a handlight provided the hunter is accompanied by a raccoon hunting dog and if on private lands, permission of the landowner is first obtained.
What makes things confusing here in Wyoming is that predators fall under the hammer of the Dept. of Agriculture, not the Game & Fish. Yet, as far as hunting at night with artificial lighting, G & F do have a say. I'm going to assume that it's ok to hunt predators at night on public lands, but artificial lighting can't be used. But yet, the question "Is it ok to hunt coyotes at night" is answered with a "No, it's not", then addresses the artificial light usage. We need clarification! I think hunting with the natural moonlight is ok, but assumptions don't carry alot of weight when you get back to the truck and one of our Red Jackets is there to greet you.

Ponder this - let's say that you went out calling under a full moon. You called in and killed a coyote, but yet used a tiny pocket flashlight to search for the downed coyote and/or find your way back to the vehicle. You didn't use the flashlight during the actual hunting/killing, but maybe the before and after of getting to your stand, loading the rifle, finding the dead critter...finding your way back to vehicle...etc. You have an artificial light in your possession!?!?

I actually called the Converse County Sheriff's Office last night to clarify. I had a conversation with our game warden last spring about this but I wanted to make sure nothing had changed. What the deputy told me is that it is ok to night hunt public ground you just can't spotlight, spotlighting is only legal on private ground. That being said I think night hunting by moonlight would be do-able especially if there were decent snow cover to amplify the moonlight and learning how to setup stands with reference to how to utilize the moonlight available.

Back