first cat in a cage ever (keep reading)

I ran the line late morning today after meeting the neighbor in town for breakfast, found a sprung trap. Walked up the hill to find fur, tracks, a closed door, bait eaten, and a big hole tore in the back of the trap. Gotta love it. Well, I cought one, my system works, but the equipment purchased from a pro trapper failed miserably. I think my home made traps will hold a lot better. Go ahead, beat me up. I deserve it. If I had gone out at daylight like usual, I would have him. Instead I forfeited an early christmas dinner for a bobcat, and gained a day in the shop. Thanks for the advice, It has helped me a bunch, I hope to be able to repay someday.

Last edited:
Don't beat yourself up. I am surprised that a cat would fight the trap enough to get out, especially out the back. Any that I have ever caught just bounce around inside a bit, but don't really try to get tear (bite and claw) up the cage to get out. Same with the one coyote I caught, he had bit the door bars a bit, but that's all.
However, I did catch a coon (I'm guessing here since the trap was empty) this fall in one of my traps and he tore the heck out of the door getting out.
Fix (beef up the cage and any like it), reset and keep trying. It took me 2 years before I got it all together.

I have had many tear outs over the years alot of people don't think a cat will or can do it but they are tenatious especially a female with kittens, and once they have done it once they will try harder when or if you catch them again. Keep at it CHB.

I looked at your pics and could not tell much about the trap you were using.It looks like 1x1 wire could you say more about the trap or better pic.

I have 1x2 14g welded wire on all cat cages. I used the biggest hog rings all the way around and used a lot of them. The frames are 1/4 inch hot roll welded. I have 3 different sizes but all are relatively similar in design. I was told by a local trapper that this design was the best and number one on some cat caging outfit. I do like the traps and they do work but the construction on the traps I purchased is relatively lax, I built some that are considerably better construction, but I have 2 of my cages sold so I will need to build some more. I would like a little heavier cage but when you are packing them through washes and up hill sides by yourself with the equipment I need, The weight and bulk is critical. A big factory built cage would be nice, but I couldn't make it into my sets with those things. Thanks for the encouragement and keep trappin that fur.

Back