What signs predict success or lack thereof?

Originally Posted By: Coyote_Hunter_AZWhen all of the scat I see if full of mesquite beans. The area is not worth hunting. Those bean eating coyotes are impossible to call. How do you do a bean call?

Use a coyote "Flatulence in Distress" sound without challenge howls??
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Sorry, I could not resist.

I think that of you live in area that you have to glass the eyes at night to tell the difference between a yote and a SPIDER!!!! then every day is unfit to call. I'll take my below zero and you keep your big a$$ spiders!!!

I am not kidding, Saturday night Mz. Kiz and I spent maybe 10 minutes glassing a wolf spider's eyes that could be seen with the naked eye AT 117 YARDS (ranged)
scared.gif
. With my scope cranked up to 14x, I could actually see the bugger sitting on a bush.

However, counting that one as two, we only saw about 10 wolf spiders the whole night, along with 18 deer. Needless to say, we didn't see any predators, and only had a lone yote respond a single time from about 3/4 of a mile away.

Originally Posted By: yotezapperI think that of you live in area that you have to glass the eyes at night to tell the difference between a yote and a SPIDER!!!! then every day is unfit to call. I'll take my below zero and you keep your big a$$ spiders!!!

Hells yeah I am out for living in Georgia....EVER!

Things I always look for. Right before a big bad strom is about to blow in try and call right before the storm. It seems to me they feel it coming much like the deer and elk do and try and eat before the storm so they can wait it out and not have to move much. Secondly extreme cold spells over night the next morning is usually real good. The 2 best hunting days I have ever had for Coyotes was following -10 and -15 below nights, the entire days seemed to be good after the cold spell. Extremely over cast night and fog seem to be a good omen for me.

Thing I stay away from at all costs...Full moon night and the day after, I leave it alone time and time again it has proven to be the biggest waste of time. WIND WIND WIND if it is more windy that about 10-15 miles per hour I have had very poor luck. After full moon nights and windy days this year I am 0-36 stands now so after years of formulating these theories this year and proven to me to be the deal breaker if it is a full moon overcast or not or it is forcast to be really windy I am sleeping in or going ice fishing, PERIOD!

Last edited:
In Wisconsin I had a minor heart attack when i sat next to an anthill and they started crawling up my leg in the dark. If one of your georgia spiders was on my leg I would probably just pass out...or screem like a little school girl and hope no one was around!

I forgot to add, I noticed that if there are birds making noise they get reel quite right before a coyote shows himself. Last time we got one it was noisy in the woods that night and about 5 mins before the coyote stepped into a load of #4 Buck the woods got super quite. So i would say i like it when theres other critters making some noise. I have never noticed deer to be a bad omen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: Coyote_Hunter_AZWhen all of the scat I see if full of mesquite beans. The area is not worth hunting. Those bean eating coyotes are impossible to call. How do you do a bean call?

Use a coyote "Flatulence in Distress" sound without challenge howls??
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Sorry, I could not resist.

And if you are in the norhtern areas, they will eat juniper berries when they start to drop.

Originally Posted By: KingzeroOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoI didn't realize that a hangover was a sickness.

Hey, I wasn't hungover and I wasn't sick. I was still drunk!
sick.gif
If I couldn't get to the kitchen for some water with out smashing my face into 3 walls
cursing.gif
, then I wasn't fit to hunt.

I just thought that you had poor eyesight.

Originally Posted By: KizmoWhen you live in Georgia, spiders are just part of everyday life...
Tblondi.jpg

Just not happening.....That thing is big enough he just may come to a rabbit in distress call....then what?

Seeing patterns develop here that are common to all hunting and fishing guys, y'all just aren't reading them. Being an avid fisherman, as in to the point of 10 - 12 years of amateur tournaments under my belt, you tend to watch these things.

Cold night down south... Usually a passing front. Low Pressure moving through.

During a rain, or just after a rain... Passing Front, Low Pressure moving through.

Just ahead of an impending storm... passing front Low Pressure moving in.

When it's EXTREMELY COLD for several days up north... High pressure system.

3 - 4 days after a 29 degree night... High Pressure system.

Fish will always feed heavily just prior to a storm, when the barometer drops. You want to fish a falling barometer. Deer will also feed heavily just before ugly weather moves in, so that throws some conflict in the seeing deer theory. However, pretty much everything wild, is going to feed just before a storm, then lay low during the storm. If it sets in and rains for several days, fishing will improve with each passing day of the nasty weather.

If the barometer is steady to rising, as in just after a storm moves through, you have sunny skies. Fish won't bite real good for a day or so. As the high pressure system remains, fishing improves steadily with each passing day of constant sunny weather. Deer will usually feed right after a passing storm, especially up north as they need to replenish their energy stores. They have been exposed to extremes, whereas the fish have a more constant environment during the storm, and don't need to feed as closely behind the storm.

Full moon... You'll frequently see frontal movement on the full moon. Although, that isn't a given. I'd be more inclined to believe that as a predator, the yotes' eyes are more attuned to hunting in the dark, full moon reduces their advantage, unless the moon is full during daylight hours, and fully sets before sunrise. Then the hours of total darkness may be better for a predator.

Big ugly asss spiders are also tuned into passing weather fronts. If the weather is unstable the spiders aren't feeding either.

Start watching your observations in conjunction with barometric pressure guys. Keep a notebook, noting all weather, temp, barometric pressure, wind direction, precipitation, and compare your notes. I think you'll find weather is playing a large part in the other factors you're seeing.

Originally Posted By: KAG Just not happening.....That thing is big enough he just may come to a rabbit in distress call....then what?

Actually, I was just funnin'. That's a picture of our pet goliath bird eating spider, which is the largest species of tarantula in the world. Our wolf spiders only get to be about as big as a small mouse (no kiddin).

While weather certainly plays a factor, I don't think it's the whole answer. I kept a log for two years of moon phase, conditions, etc. and plotted it against predicted feeding times. The only correlation I found was that there was no correlation, and that predicted feeding times don't mean doodly to predator activity.

Been there done the journal thing fishing Kizmo, and I know all to well that it's a very complicated mess to sort through. One thing I did learn fishing tournaments is, if you learn how to adjust to given conditions, fish will bite any time. Their environment isn't affected by weather to the same degree as a coyote's, however if a yote ain't hungry, maybe they're horny, or maybe they're grumpy, or maybe they're defensive of their territory, or maybe you have to stalk them.

And, while I will readily agree that it's all a very big and complicated mess to sort out, those observations I made above on passing fronts, are pretty much set in stone.

Want to up your odds on the passing front, watch timing on the front. If it's moving through mid-afternoon to early evening, hunt the morning. If it's moving through 10 o:clock to daybreak, hunt the evening. Animals will typically feed 6 - 8 hours ahead of an approaching front. When you start getting into that 1 - 2 hour range, they're fed up and headed to bed down.

Want to really up your odds on a passing front... find that sunrise/sunset timing mark above when it coincides with a major period on a solunar chart, and tie the moon phase into it all as well.

If you're deer hunting and tie the rut into that on top of everything else, you'll find your best odds of tagging a wallhanger guaranteed.

The Weather Channel is your friend... watch the hour by hour and determine when exactly the passing front is moving through, and plan your hunt around it. You'll be surprised how much weather ties into everythings' movement in the wild.

Back