calling during deer season.

swampwalker

It's been my experience that calling during deer season has a much lower success rate then a few weeks after. My guess is that the amount of people stink, gut piles and unrecovered deer offers a lot of reasons for them to not respond.

Lately though the minds wandering and contemplating getting out there a bit earlier this year. So I am curious to know on what others think about the effects of deer season and how your success rate is effected by it?.

No difference for me.

I just change my routine and avoid the deer hunters until the two week gun season is over. After the short gun season is over I hit the spots immediately where deer have been harvested.

I wait till after deer season anymore.

But most of my calling area is also my deer hunting area, so I try not to stir the place up to much with bringing yotes into it during deer season.

My buddies and I don't field dress our deer in the field for that reason

Hi Swamp, I'm on the other side of the river from you and I agree, the 19th of nov. the two local packs opened up at dawn here and after the 3rd day of reg.season I have not heard them since. Had tracks in the snow yesterday a.m. but no takers. Gut piles and rib cages ,bones etc. get cleaned up quick too.

We see a lot of coyotes during deer gun season here in Ohio. But, they're usually running scared and getting shot at, so trying to call them doesn't work very well.

But, during bow season, it's a different story. A Bunny Bomb is always in my bow hunting gear. I don't go out looking for yotes, but I've been able to call them in when I see them (sometimes).

When the rut is on, it's all about the deer hunting. But the slow times during the pre-rut, or much later in the season, can be good times to take a distress call to the bow hunting stand.

Regards,

Rudy

same here.. we seen 4 coyotes during our deer season last week and shot 2 of them. my brother let a solid black one get past him bc he didnt know where the other blocker was sitting on the back around from him so he let it slide past him at 50 yards... im heading back there this monday morning to make a stand see if he comes in. i dont try to call them during the season or the week after bc of all the pressure and human traffic in the woods. i like to give them some time to settle down before i call them again.

Coyote hunting gets tough here during deer season.
I agree with the statements that there are lots of gut piles, dead deer for them to feed on. I don't think that a coyote has to travel very far for a free meal now, or to hunt at all for that matter.
Plus, deer hunters here use hounds, and that stirs up everything in the woods.
Some coyotes are killed by deer hunters here that are being run by the deer dogs, but I don't know of anyone other than me who tries to call them during deer season. It is hard to set up anywhere that I can't hear dogs running, or have dogs/hunters come right through my stand. I still try, but it is pretty much just setting on a stand and daydreaming.

All the more reason to switch to coyote vocals,they may not be hungry,but territory is everything,they will still show up to drive the strange coyote out.Obviuously you must be careful and wear orange so you dont get shot by one of the deer hunters.

Pa's 2 week rifled deer season ended yesterday.

I refrain from hunting coyotes during that time frame for the simple reason that I don't want to be walking around the woods at night with a light and gun.

Spotlighting deer is forbidden at this time, and the PoPo would probably think I was a deer poacher, and quite frankly, I wouldn't blame them if they did.

Don't need the possible headaches for that 2 week window.

I don't think it has much of an effect where I hunt, mainly because the dogs don't seem to be out in the day here much anyways. The warm weather this year seems to have put everything out of whack, as I have seen less deer and heard less shooting than I can remember.

I did venture in to the woods at 5 AM the past two mornings, all my coyote/fox hunting stuff AND my deer hunting stuff - called and shined from my stand until about half an hour before sunrise, waited for sunrise and suffered two long days seeing nothing but tracks in the snow. Full moon or neighboring hunting pressure? I don't know.

Gman - I understand your concern, but you shold get with your local game warden to get his take on night hunting during deer season - if it's legal then you really shouldn't have to miss out on two nice weeks.

Maybe its a good Idea to stay out of the woods those two weeks so you dont get shot by accident,we all know that there are some truly stupid people out there!

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEMaybe its a good Idea to stay out of the woods those two weeks so you dont get shot by accident,we all know that there are some truly stupid people out there!

Check out this link regarding PA's DEERMORON of YEAR AWARD for 2011..

HUNTER SHOOTS PET DONKEY

on the brightside, I have not heard about fatalities in PA this year. But a kid was shot in the knee when he and his father climbed their tree stand and the loaded gun when off.

Now that is in broad daylight!! I rest my case!!!
When I hunt predators at night I always put material between me and possible areas where shooting could come from,the locals here like to shoot first and ask questions later,that is if they are sober!!
I use all coyote vocals,so I am very careful where I set up.

Like Rudy, I always have a call around my neck when bowhunting. This year however, I didn't see a single coyote. I pretty much give up on hunting them during December, because the woods are littered with gut piles and skittish coyotes. I let things calm down, at least as calm as they get, until January before going at it hard.

Brian

Thanks for the great input..seems we are mostly on the same page. I will have to try some of those coyote vocals, sounds like a good theory to me

Swamp
Killed this guy,one day after gun season closed,I used a big male coyote sound to make this guy mad,he could not take that some big dog was in his territory had to come and check it out.This is the forth coyote I have killed in this field this season.Yote vocals are were its at!! He weighed 46 lbs.

100_2863.jpg

swampwalker I was hunting not far from you on 12-10-11, was watching does out about 200 yards out, thought I would mess with em, tried using fawn distress calls to get em closer........they heard it and ignored it mostly, so I threw out some fawn balls, the does took off.............ooops.......but a few minutes later anotehr deer ran out onto the powerline, in a semi circle and ran back intot he woods out where the other does took off..........a few seconds later, I saw this thing( didnt get a good look) zip outta the woods, thought it was a grey fox at first now I'm thinking coyote..........never had a chance at a shot, but made my day being pretty cool

IMG_1304.jpg

Back