Anyone using a 223 WSSM?

I was reading Hornady's write up on it in one of their loading manuals. IIRC they stated after firing 300 rounds throat erosion was obvious
scared.gif
. I didn't need to investige any further into this cartridge.

Aaron

Avoid at all costs.

This cartridge was a terrible idea from the start. A classic case of a bad solution in search of a problem to solve. Expensive ammo, questionable ballistic/performance advantages, and severe barrel wear.

A good friend of mine won one. He cannot unload it. He offered it as a trade on new rifle and literally could not find any shop that would take it, even though it's new in box.

I wouldn't touch one. Buy a .22-250 and you have everything the .223 WSSM wanted to be.

Grouse

I owned a Browning A-bolt in 223 WSSM and I loved that gun.
Famous grouse has made some very valid points about the gun.
The 223 WSSM is made with a 1-9 twist barrel they are not made to shot 40 gr bullets. I tried they would shoot at 4725 fps but they shot all over the place.

They are made to shoot heavier bullets.

Browning chrome lined there barrels which helped alittle.
whiched help preserve barrel life to that of a 22-250. If you where conservitive.
My favorite load from that gun was 50 gr varmit grenade. shooting varget powder. Traveling at 3800 fps It would shoot ragged holes at 100 yds and killed coyotes killing machine. I had around 700 documented rounds throught that gun and had a trusted gunsmith look at it for me. He said I had plenty of life left in the barrel.

Both my wife and I shot our Idaho speed goats with it and they where both DRT, using 52 gr barns X bullets.

It was picky about what it ate. I had to play with it to find just the right load. some loads I tried would give me a 4 inch group at 100 yds.

The main reason I got rid of it was, it was very hard on brass and expensive to shoot. factory loads the brass would have cracked necks with the first time fired. New winchester Brass was better I could get 3 uses per case before they would crack.

In short, it is an awsome round, but as already stated their are other rounds that do the same job better and cheeper.

Last edited:
I think the idea behind all the WSSM cartridge's is to try to follow along on the PPC designs(short/fat/steep shoulder) which are the accuracy kings.Not a bad idea really.

My son has owned a Browning in 223wssm since about 2006. Very accurate and VERY fast, a devastating combo on coyotes.

He did own the 223wssm in a Winchester for a few months, and that was the worst shooting rifle I have ever encountered.

His coyote load is a 60gr Nosler BT at about 3,700fps.

If you want to own the fastest factory chambered 22 out there, this is it.

You will be much better off with a .220 Swift. It's a old debate what the fastest .22 cal. is. Just do a PM search on the two calibers and the Swift will win that one hands down.

Love it, or hate it, the .223 Wizzer IS the fastest commmercially available cartridge. Sorry Swift fans, but that is reality.
And saying the .223Wizzer is a barrel burner is like hearing someone complaining about tire wear on a dragster!

Has anyone ever seen a .220 Swift in an AR-15??? Here's your huckleberry, but it's stamped .223WSSM on the barrel...
wink.gif

turkey2011061.jpg

I appreciate mine for what it is, a wicked & nasty cartridge for the AR-15! Definintely not for everyone, though...

You guys have me worried now. I researched it a little bit and decided on buying one. Found a killer deal on a Winchester Super Shadow on Gunbroker and couldn't pass it up. We'll see how this one pans out........

My only question is why? Where is the need for that kind of speed? Why shoot such a barrel eating round? What is achieved other then an inflated "fastest round" ego?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760My only question is why? Where is the need for that kind of speed?
Speed kills
smile.gif
and makes hig b.c. boolits fly a loooooong way...
Quote: Why shoot such a barrel eating round?
Because I can. It's the American dream, in a nutshell!
smile.gif

Quote:What is achieved other then an inflated "fastest round" ego?
Well, not much. But one of them has to be the "fastest", and the .223WSSM has proven to be it. With custom barrels & handloads, you can really make it hummmmmmm!!!

I highly recommend that everyone go out & buy a rifle chambered in some type of barrel burning, brass munching hotrod cartridge
smile.gif
Shooting them & comtemplating how much throat you just torched is strangely, good for the soul....
grin.gif

Actually, holes in organs kill. It takes energy to do that. Be it a light fast bullet or a slow heavy one, the energy carries the bullet home. I'd prefer a round that will do that and still have enough barrel life left to last a while. JMO. I don't see a need for uber fast, light bullets.

Quote: I don't see a need for uber fast, light bullets.

You can't see the benefit of utilizing a super flat shooting cartridge for killing predators?
Seriously?

And even if you are killing 100 coyotes a year, a "barrel burner" like the .223 Wizzer would last you about a decade. IS that not enough useable barrel life?

Heck, most cars don't last that long these days!!!
laugh.gif

Yep, seriously, I don't. Not THAT fast. There are plenty of other rounds available that have been killing critters for eons that will not destroy barrels or brass at that alarming rate. I mean, people are talking like 500 rnds. out of a barrel. And one or three loads on brass!?? Yep, I don't see the need. I mean, are the coyotes any more dead??

I have a .243 wssm and find my brass life to be much better, probably around 6-8 loads in most cases. The key to longer brass life is staying away from max loads. I keep most of my loads a grain or so below max charge, but still am getting good velocity and accuracy. If you can get one at a good price go for it!

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOk then! 7.82 Warbird here I come !!!
that like a scooter
get something fast
like 300 tajas,300 riker or 30-378 imp.

Hey Steve, 3325+ with 75 Amaxs at mag length. 62gr TSXs almost 3600...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PA 760 I mean, people are talking like 500 rnds. out of a barrel. And one or three loads on brass!??
Do you believe everything you read on the internet?
blush.gif

Seems like alot of the Wizzer nay-sayers are shooters like yourself...those who have never owned, or even shot one. So is it really fair to pass judgement without any experience of your own to base your opinion on???

Back