My first coyote and lessons learned

Rassmo

Last night I went out calling for the second time. We have limited time for night hunts here in Iowa as you pretty much need close to a full moon with snow cover and clear skies. Haven't tried a day hunt yet as deer shotgun season is open now and there are to many hunters out pushing most of the good areas.
I'm finally getting into calling at the age of 51 and have a lot to learn and not much confidence in my setups yet. All I know so far is what I've read here and watched a few Primos calling DVD's with Randy Anderson.
On the first stand of the night I set up on the south edge of a slough on the edge of a combined corn field with a pasture to my east and a thick area of public ground on my west. With a south wind I figured this was idea. Put out the Foxpro Fury and the MOJO critter about 40 yards in front of me. Started the sequence with Lightning Jack then a couple other rabbit distress sound with the caller on autovolume so volume goes up and down automatically. Close to the 15 minute mark I switch it to coyote pup distress before I wrap things up. I hear something behind me from the slough area, look to me left and see the silhouette of a critter coming into the field about 20 yards away (downwind) but focussed on the caller. It got out to about 40 yards, I made a woof noise and he stopped to see the 22-250 round hit him in the chest.
OK now I'm hooked. On the next 3 stands, I see nothing. Getting frustrated again I set up for my final spot of the night. Sitting in a fenceline with the caller and decoy about 30 yards upwind. Small frozen river about 200 yards to the east with a huge CRP field of grass beyond that. At about the 2 1/2 minute mark I have a hard charger coming from the east directly for the decoy. I try to make a noise to stop him but he doesn't slow up till he get to the decoy, then just a pause before he breaks into a run to the west. No matter what noises I make he ain't stoppin so I finally just blast a shot at him as a farewell. I figured that's it for this spot but so early into the set I try again. About 8 minutes later right after I switch to pup distress and then Ki Yi's I have a hard charger from the north. He slows up then briefly stops about 40 yards away then heads back north before I can get the gun swung around on him. I send a shot his way but just like the last one it's just a fond farewell. For the night 3 called in with only one shot.
Lessons learned.
1. I can't hit squat with my 22-250 when it comes to shooting at a running silhouette across the snow at night.(and I'm sure during daylight either)
2. From now on I take 2 guns and include the shotgun on stand loaded with Dead Coyote loads. If only 1 gun it will be the shotgun at night. All 3 were within shotgun range.
3. I have a whole LOT to learn. I have Tony Tebbe's video on order and hopefully that will help.
4. This sure is FUN.
5. Take some kind of cushion to sit on when hunting in the snow or your backsides gonna get wet and real cold.
P1010695b.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say you're off to a great start!!! He looks like a big husky fella!

Congrats on the calling and the kill, and thanks for posting story and pics!!!

Last edited:
Great idea using the MOJO while moonlight calling on the snow. It sounds like it was very effective. I use to wiggle my boot, but the MOJO is a way better idea. I bet there a ton of people that doesn't even think of using a decoy at night.

There are times that you just can't stop a coyote, no matter what you do. Yelling, etc... On those, I just put the crosshairs on it's head and pull the trigger. It'll hit meat. I flipped one end for end, last week, when calling with Kerry. A super hard charger that wouldn't stop. Shot him in the head. Actually, I shot 5 chargers in the head that weekend.

Sounds like you are having a blast. That's what it's all about.

P.S. I'll be getting DVDs and calls out the door tomorrow. Your's will be on it's way.

Tony

Good write-up, sir. I'm just getting into this sport as well (but about 20+ years earlier than you) and actually learned a few things even from your brief write-up. Always enjoy learning from other people's successes/mistakes. Even though you only got one, it looks like a pretty big 'un! Looking forward to seeing more.

Back