Range report Remington 5R in .223

klf

I have been running my new 5R in .223 for about two weeks now. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 sitting on a weaver Picatinny base and Millett tactical bases. I have less than 500 rounds through it and she is dumping three shotters in less than a quarter inch at 100 yards. The five shotters are up around the .7" range. I'm using the Sierra 60 grain varmiteer with 22.8 grains of AA 2460. It's a keeper. I shot the groups below on Saturday. The conditions were ideal with no wind. The only limitation was the big loose nut behind the scope. This one is a keeper. It is a sweet little caliber that I can shoot all day long without taking a beating.

Hey Getfoxy, I'm an old KY boy myself. Where in KY are you located. I'm from Paducah.

Last edited:
I was able to get some range time today. I am still learning to shoot the rifle, cheek weld and all. 100 yards, no wind, and cold as [beeep].

1001993r.jpg

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSNice groups we need pics of the rifle.

Here she is. She is still pretty stock. Below is her ugly sister. The AR is shooting three shot groups in the sub .2" range.

1001994x.jpg

NICE!!!!!

What designates it as "5R"?

It's obviously a 700, but I don't see a 5R listed on Remmy's web site. I'm probably just looking in the wrong place,
Thanks

Charlie,

The "5R" is the rifling. They still use it in a few of the rifles. The tac target, for one. The specific 5r sub model is no longer available.

Originally Posted By: RePeteNICE!!!!!

What designates it as "5R"?

It's obviously a 700, but I don't see a 5R listed on Remmy's web site. I'm probably just looking in the wrong place,
Thanks

The 5R is the type of rifling used. Google it, It's pretty interesting. You won't find them on their website or catalog. My understanding is the production numbers are dependent on the orders received by the military. I would imagine the keep the cell that produces them running for a while after the orders are filled.

I got this off another website. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=110755

Quote,
R5 mil-spec
Let me as a remington employee, and owner of a R5 clarify a few things for you. I know for fact that the barrels on the R5 are not rock's barrels the first few for the military contract M24 sniper rifles were, until we could tool up or equipment to produce our own R5 rifling. The barrels are not military barrels that did not pass our quality checks either, any barrels that we produce that are not exactly to tolerance are imediatly marked with red dykum and sent to the barrel bender. The gun however is a limited production non-cataloged 1/4MOA firearm. And unless you want to pay for a M24 about $3.5K and get a gun that shoots just the same as a R5. Now for all of you who think that the R5 is just another factory produced gun with a marketing plan you got another thing coming, now the R5 is not a custom gun but we put alot of pride and tradition into each firearm we produce and the R5 is no exception in the least. I have time and again at local matches put them $5k customs to shame, and I garantee you that the difference between a 700 sendaro and an R5 is quite astounding. Or you could just come up to Illion and find out the hard way lol. So in closing boys and girls the R5 is a very exceptional weapon that i would put up against any custom out there.

P.S. you will not wear out the SS any faster that normal carbon steel.. .

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back