Homemade decoys????

Watch Dog80

I have never predator hunted, unless you count shooting coyotes from my front porch. I decided to get into into it, so I have made myself a homemade e-caller. I guess now I need a decoy, so I am hoping you could give me some ideas. It will have to one that would be the cheapest to build, due to lack of funds, so if anyone has built one on the cheap, please post a pic of it and let me know. Thanks

First, Welcome to Predator Masters!

The cheapest and most effective decoy is a turkey feather on a string. Monofiliment fishing string, fishing swivel, attached to an old arrow or wood dowel. Extremely effective.

Hope that helps...

Tony

Welcome!

New here myself. Registered recently.

I may have to try the feather and dowel decoy, as I also have limited funds. Have wanted a jack in the box but this should keep their attention for a whole lot less money.

I have prolly 4 decoys. A Jack in the box, A Wounded woodpecker, a Mojo Critter and a home made one from an elect cat toy. I have not had enough positive responses to warrant me putting a decoy out. For every 1 that comes in with a decoy I have 2 or 3 that go the other way. Maybe our Coyotes are timid? I dunno. JUst My experience. Some Guys have great success however. Good luck with the new hobby!
Here is the cat tou decoy.. just a little camo paint, and yer ready. You can try lots of different toppers available at Pet Smart.
001-15.jpg

Orney I think your right. I have gotten to the point where I dont use the decoy in heavily called areas. It works good on private where there is not much competition and they havent seen it before.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I have prolly 4 decoys. A Jack in the box, A Wounded woodpecker, a Mojo Critter and a home made one from an elect cat toy. I have not had enough positive responses to warrant me putting a decoy out. For every 1 that comes in with a decoy I have 2 or 3 that go the other way. Maybe our Coyotes are timid? I dunno. JUst My experience. Some Guys have great success however. Good luck with the new hobby!
Here is the cat tou decoy.. just a little camo paint, and yer ready. You can try lots of different toppers available at Pet Smart.
001-15.jpg

This has been my experience as well

The feather works great!! Its cheap no batteries and is easy to carry. I used a 1/4" steel rod, drilled a hole in the end used a barrel swivel and bent over the last 6" so the feather dangles. Iv stuck it in trees were on certain stands were ther was lots of ground clutter.

a sharpened dowel or stick stuck in the ground, with a turkey feather attached to it with some fishing line to let flutter in the wind.

or get your wifes cat and tie it to a brick, who cares

I actually had a cat as a decoy lastyear. It came in stuck its nose in my caller and 30seconds later a yote came in from same direction. Think he was being hunted!!

Go to varmintal.com
He shows how to make one out of a weasel ball toy.
I've got a Mojo Critter and a Quiver Rabbit.
I've had pretty good results, especially with the Mojo Critter. It's small, light and easy to carry.

Shayne

I used the upper section of an old fishing rod and two turkey feathers hot glued together with a swivel and line but use a quiver critter on days when there isnt enough wind to blow the feathers around

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Go to varmintal.com
He shows how to make one out of a weasel ball toy.

Shayne

Couldn't agree more, Varmint Al's is a excellent source for info & idea's.

Dick Wendell from Ulm Montana, came up with an excellent version of the weazel ball decoy & he sent Al a video of it, Al has it linked on his site.

I made my own version of Dicks weazel ball decoy & Al asked if he could host a link to my decoy aswell.

I got the weazel ball off of amazon.com, it was so cheap I bought 2 of them. I had the rest of the parts in the garage.

It works well, I had a double come into the call yesterday & never took their eyes off the decoy, which gave us time to get on target & take care of buisness

Best of luck, Lee

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223The feather works great!! Its cheap no batteries and is easy to carry. I used a 1/4" steel rod, drilled a hole in the end used a barrel swivel and bent over the last 6" so the feather dangles. Iv stuck it in trees were on certain stands were ther was lots of ground clutter.

Turkey feathers or you can use a squirrel tail.

I've built several with little motors out of broken stereos and DVD players. The latest I hooked to a $15 remote switch. Super simple gadget. Hang it like the turkey feather or set it on the ground. It's about the size of the woodpecker decoys.

Look in the other critter getting techniques forum, lots of homemade deeks in there.

Back