Need advice from the Texans

WasteLand

I'm 95% sure I'm going to move to Texas in April or May. I want to start college there for my geography degree. I'm currently looking at Texas Tech in Lubbock.

I'm curious about other areas, their terrain, hunting, schools, and cost of living.

I'd like to live in a place where I can have some close by rancher/prairie type land, but not in a Po-dunk down. However, I don't wanna live anywhere inside a large city. Looking for more of a outskirts types of deal.

Anyone help me out with some info or advice?

Sol Ross is nice and a good area for predators, but in the middle of NOWHERE!

Tarlton States is small but a rodeo dominated school. Stephen F. Austin in East Texas is a good school but not a perfect fit for predator hunting as it is pretty thick and small land ownership.

A&M Kingsville might be a good place as far as hunting goes.

Tech is large, no make that huge. Lubbock population is about 250,000, the area is surrounded by cotton fields and some ranch land. Mostly cotton and grain field, and flat, no trees, you can see for miles, on a clear day you can see the mountains of New Mexico that are 300 miles away. The dust storms are not as bad now as they used to be, but Lubbock still has some good ones, this was October of this year..
01963_lubbock_dust_storm_2011.jpg

Almost all of the land in the Lubbock area is privately owned, so you either have to lease to hunt or you go to New Mexico to the where there is a lot of public land.

That was the bad, the good, it is a friendly town, no major crime issues, a town that supports their veterans and the college students. And the dust storms are rare today compared to 40 years ago. Tech is a great school, highly rated and deserves the rating.

Good info guys. Still considering Lubbock but we are still researching.

Going to try to pick 3 cities/colleges and do a week long visit and see all three places to get a feel for it.

Back