Hunting public during deer season

goldeneagle747

Just wondering if any if you guys go after coyotes on public land while deer season is still going? I usually wait until bow season is over but I about can't stand it any more. Bow season here in Oklahoma doesn't end until January 15. I just dont know if i can make it that long.

I don't even hunt private land much during gun season. Maybe a little in the middle of the week in places I don't think anyone will be.
On private or public land, bow season and coyote season end the same day, the last day of February.
Really, it's PUBLIC land and you have as much right to be there as anyone. When I bowhunted public land, I can't count the times a squirell hunter or rabbit hunters have spoiled my hunt. But it's theirs to use the same as me.

Shayne

coyotes can be hunted year round here in oklahoma. I've always waited as a courtesy to people who are still deer hunting. I'm done deer hunting as I have my freezer filled up and now am losing my mind waiting to go out after coyotes.

I am hunting one of the WMA's here in LA...deer season is the only time we can hunt them with a centerfire rifle...otherwise .22 rimfire or shotgun. I'm just careful about where I set up, and try to stay out of others way. It's 30,000 acres, so it's doable.

The private deer lease I hunt on now is difficult because we're in the middle of the "dog" season, so the sound of the hounds pretty much kills it when they're out....which is a good deal of the time.

Get in there deeper than them it could pay big time. As far as rabbit or squirrel hunters ruining your hunt this is definitely not true. Anyone whose half a woodsman knows that that activity could get the buck of your lifetime out of his bed and in front of your stand.

It's muzzleloader season here until next Sunday. Gonna double check the regs, but I think hunter orange is required for any hunting during a deer/firearm season. I try to wait it out but I'm chomping at the bit myself.

I'm going nuts and i'm driving my wife crazy also. Normally I'm still bowhunting all through December but I have plenty of meat in the freezer. Now I'm just sitting at the house waiting on it to be over.

I called the GW for the county I usually coyote hunt and he said he wouldn't recommend going out til bow season is over. Said that there are still a lot of people bow hunting right now. The only private spot I have for coyote is a lease that my buddy is on. It's like pulling teeth to try and get him to go.

Back