To retrieve or not retrieve

xxclaro

Got me a little setup to try tonight, roadkill deer set up about 175 yards from my shooting spot. Question is, if I shoot one, should I leave it lay until dark or go get it? Will the carcass disturb the other yote's from coming in?
I shot 5 of them off a dead cow last weekend, but that was at about 300 yards and they didn't really seem to know where the shots were coming from, so they milled around long enough for me to do some damage.

Well if you're planning on sitting on the bait then I would say leave it(if it's DRT). If you're planning on staying till dark anyway I don't see the need of going over to pick it up untill you're ready to go.

Originally Posted By: xxclaro Got me a little setup to try tonight, roadkill deer set up about 175 yards from my shooting spot. Question is, if I shoot one, should I leave it lay until dark or go get it? Will the carcass disturb the other yote's from coming in?
I shot 5 of them off a dead cow last weekend, but that was at about 300 yards and they didn't really seem to know where the shots were coming from, so they milled around long enough for me to do some damage.

Nice job! I have seen coyotes freak out when they have seen another dead coyote and I have seen them not pay too much attention, I don't know why.

I would leave them and see for yourself what they will do.

Well, it turned out not to be an issue,as only 1 showed up. Got it, but I'll try again tomorrow.
SANY0056.jpg

Back