Got prescription glasses just for predator hunting!

SalemDawger

I am 38 and have always thought I had great vision, but form the last few years I have felt like I just could not see coyotes clearly and have been just looking for movement. I finally had enough and made an appointment with the eye doctor.

Sure enough I need glasses. After the exame the doctor gave me these little lenses in a holder that will be like the lens in my glasses and I walked outside to look around.

WOW I could see so clearly. I can not wait to get my glasses and go hunting!

I lost my vision so slowlyi did not even notice it, and it was amazing to see well again.

How many of you wear glasses while calling? Should I buy contact? Do coyotes see the glare from the lenses? I a new to this glasses thing so sorry for the dumb questions.

Ive worn glasses for the last 12 years and may go with contacts this year due to them fogging up when my face is bundled in the winters. Every year I get new ones & the old go into the truck and I use those in the field so I dont destroy the new ones.

Thanks guys, I did not think of them fogging up. Do they fog due to your face mask or what?

I thought contacts seemed like a bigger pain after watching my wife have to deal with them. I'll have to try them out as well.

They fog up when you exhale in cold weather, especially if you have a face mask on, seems like the heat always travels up along your nose right into your glasses.
Cold outside & go inside...yup fog up.

I just got glasses a couple years ago. They are a pita, but I like to be able to see fine detail. I can't get used to contacts...I tried for a year.

Ive wore glasses for my whole life and while hunting dogs. I can see fine up close but after 50 yds its a blur .
I have Never had them fog up unless I breath on them while putting them on. Yes they my glare in the sun but no more than a humans face does in direct sun light. Id give them a try befor you jump on the contact wagon.
I Hate contacts and cant stand to wear them , put them in, or take them out. Hate um .
But good luck with your new vision

I did not need anything until I was almost 50 years old.

Saw my hunting buddies glasses fog up as soon as we would get out of the truck and do it again when he put on a face mask.

I could not imagine sticking my finger in my eye for contacts but I got some and have never had any issues with them.

I do not plan on ever using glasses.

Get glasses, or get contacts, or get both for different situations.
Whatever it takes to keep your good vision, just go ahead and get it, and thank the good Lord every day that you can still see!
thumbup1.gif

And be glad you don't have glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, and diabetic retinopathy.
Those can't be corrected with glasses or contacts. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
55 years young here , coke bottle glasses till I was 50 then the doc says trifocals ,long story short after getting them, scared the ole woman so bad on the ride home from the dr.office she would'nt ride with me till I relearned how to see. 2 weeks later went and had lasik surgery,
Still can't read without readers but I can see a flea on a coyotes [beeep] at 100 yards and the doc who did the surgery is an avid shooter so he set me up a little stronger on my dominent eye,seems to have helped my shooting , but the ol woman still won't ride with me LOL

I was blind by 4th grade and never got glasses straight to contacts. Never had a problem with them until i got flash burn and had to have a pair of glasses for 2 weeks during peak duck season. I had a terrible time adjusting to shooting with them. Make sure they dont slide down your nose if you plan on wing shooting with them. Also had a whole new perspective of sun position when picking spots. Theyll amplify brightness and itll drive you crazy at first

Another plus to contacts is there are no blind spots. Yup to see to the side with glasses ya gotta move your head. Try both. Contacts take gettin used too but after you get use to them its the only way to go

Thanks for all the imput. I had not thought about any of these issues before. I have a ton to learn. I did not even think about how they might affect my shooting, and how they amplify the sun light, or blind spots.

I also just thought about how they are going to affect glassing in my binoculars.

This is going to be more complicated than I thought.

I am 63 got my glasses about a year ago. I didnt want to mess with contacts but the glasses did not work for hunting. Fogging with a face mask was a big issue as was having to move my head to see off to the side rather than just moving my eyes. Shooting my bow was all but impossible and the rifle was somewhat of a hassle. I have both now and wear the contacts hunting. When I was young I had better than 20 20 vision so it was hard to accept I needed glasses, but it does help at night driving and looking for fine detail like in coyote hunting. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I've wore glasses for many years and don't think they've ever spooked any game.

Shayne

I agree. You can also dose them with some anti-fog stuff if you hunt a lot in cold weather. I have contacts, but seldom wear them. I have naturally dry eyes and the contacts can really irritate after a few hours.

I usually wear contacts,If your shooting in contacts you have to keep blinking or they get too dry to see out of (at least for me). Using glasses in basic training we put shaving cream on the lenses and then cleaned it off. It helped tons with fogging. As for glare off of glasses. If you use a scope of binocs while hunting you have the same probability of glare off them as you do for glasses. My opinion is in the field I prefer glasses dust and all the other stuff in the desert tend to be hard on contacts. give it a couple months and you wont even notice the glasses. there are plenty of facemasks that work with them without fogging them up. or just save up and get lasik.

Back