22-250 V-Max load?

trickrick

After getting several suggestions from here I have picked up a box of 50gr V-Max bullets to load up. Problem is that the couple of books I have don't list that particular bullet
cry.gif

I am shooting a Remington 700 SS with a 26" bull barrel. It's a 1-14 twist.
I currantly have Varget, and H380 powders.....any suggestions guys?

Thanks for your help!

3DHUSKER ..... All I see in 50gr are these bullets(50 GR. SIE SP) I see V-Max bullets in other weights but not 50gr.
Am I safe in assuming that a 50 gr is a 50gr?
I guess knowing a begining load and max load will be close?
Hate to assume with relaoding.
Thanks !

Doesn't matter which 50gr bullets you use...just follow the data in the load books. Varget and H380 are both excellent powders for that caliber.

trickrick,
Here is my load and I have a Rem. 700 with the same twist. This load shoots real good. 38 gr. H380 50 Gr. Hornady V-Max. OAL 2.380 CCI Primers

I shoot a similar rifle (VSSF2) and the 50 gr Vmax shoots the best out of the 10 or so bullets I tried. Varget at the upper end works the best so far and IMR 4064 was right behind (WLR primers in RP brass). IMR 4895 didn't do so much for me. In case you get the urge to try, I had terrible results with the 55gr poly tipped bullets with the Vmax doing less terrible and the Bkings doing nothing but keyholing. The Sierra 1390 (55 gr HP) shot pretty good as did the 1365. Good Luck
Brian

i run IMR 4064 and 55 grain VMax in mine. If your interested send me a pm and I will give you my load for it. I have had better luck with the 55 grain in my .22-250s and .223 but not so good in the swift. I have been told the swifts seem to like 50 grain vmax better

Originally Posted By: Mike21And when your done with your V-max frustration, find Sierra.
wink.gif

I'm game to try any load. What do you reccomend Sierra bullet wise?

I have a remington 700 22-250 with a 1-14 twist barrel. I wanted to use a 55gr bullet out of it. But I have found it likes 45-50gr soft or hollow point bullets better. The groups seem to open up with the plastic tipped bullets. I know that if I rebarrel that rifle I'll put a 1-12 twist back on it. That way I think it would stabilze the longer plastic tipped bullets better, just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: trickrickI'm game to try any load. What do you reccomend Sierra bullet wise?

Sierra makes several great offerings.

Can't go wrong with 50 all the way up to 60 grain Blitzkings.

I prefer the 52 grain BTHP Matchking.

Nothing wrong with Hornaday, but Sierra gets my money.
thumbup1.gif

Back