dying footholds for fox/coyote ??????

i wax my traps to speed them up a little and mainly to prevent corrosion from salting... when we get freeze/thaw you have to use some sort of anti freeze on your traps to keep them functioning..

thats my opinion though.. you'll have to ask one of the resident experts on the matter... LOL

lol kansas sorry i hit a nerve not my intention but as we all know this topic even among trappers at conventions has many view points not saying im right not saying your wrong i just wanted to get the point across that even you take precautions as far as the pictures good! glad your doing well you seem to know what your doin thats great applause!

i agree with one thign that comes from dyeing and waxing and thats protection like you stated above i like them to have the dye and wax to prevent rust and ver the years pitting corrosion etc it also helps the springs to have it as rust can realy weaken them i dont feel like re doing around 230 plus springs any time soon s far as like you stated fooling a canines nose thats just not going to happen wax speed dip etc has an odor in itself as well as picks up odors i think dig ups are more of a reaction of that particular coyote to the lure urine etc if he gets aggressive he could tend to dig on holes or flat sets ive seen them litearly give 6 or 7 kickbacks in an area smaller then a few yards ive als seen coyote pass sets for days even weeks up to a month or more and then work it after about 8 passes coyotes will be coyotes its a ssimple as that as far as high and solid pad catches i think that can be attrivuted to pan tension more then dyeing and waxing not only that but trap placement in itself ( we could go for months on that alone)as well as bedding theres alot of factors to consider so why not do the best you can at each set and location? nothing is perfect as you stated there is no perfect set or lure and there are no guarentees with them toe catches pull out misses and educated coyotes happen thats life i for one am not trying to be an expert im just shareign the expereience i have as is dusty and i wouldnt put my nose up at anyones advise i still find myself learning everyday thats the joy of it im sorry we seem to disagree on things but thats life im not trying to put you down here or discredit you or anyone and neither is anyone else. as far as dyeing and waxing i do it yearly i dont use much logwood anymore i dye with local bushes like mustard weed sage or greasewood but that sis just MY OPINION doesnt mean its going to work for everyone i have alot of coyotes to my name and those who know me personaly can be testiment to that and guess what? it dont mean crap but i didnt get here bye being closed minded i sat i listend i observed i tryed and i failed as well as succeed ad thats the beauty of this all its not an exact science i can take you to folks i know persoanly who dont dye or wax and have killed THOUSANDS of coyotes cats and fox these are the folks who have a smoke putting in coyote sets and have adults not pups the next day. point is i dont think coyotes care about the diffrences in our methads as much as we do. but if i can save a kid or someone getting into this some fo the trial ad error i went thru i will gladly do it and as we may disagree ksboy im shure from our debates or diffrent ideas they can take from that ideas to use themselves. diffrent people diffrent experiences and methads

I for one am not an expert nor have I claimed to be one. I like thes forums for one reason only, you can gain alot of info!! If I disagree with you, I'm not going to spout out of some book I read or video I've seen, I'll speak from my experience. I never claimed that I didn't have dug up traps using logwood. I simply stated that I have had less with it. I also have a high average of above the pad hook ups. I think in the short time that I've been setting traps I have had a few toe catches and I can attribute that to poorly placed traps.
I would also like to say that in the beginning you were the one trying to discredit my opinion. Not the other way around. I also think that you must know what you are doing. I will bite back when cornered. I simply wanted to state how I did it. Sorry for any hurt feelers!!!!:)

my arguement was that you guys should not of told the feller to dye his traps as it is not necessary!!!

i do not think you get dug traps from color or dye odor...

i think you get dug traps from "wobble"....

Last edited:
the guy asked what our everyones thaughts are on dyeing and waxing we answerd his question with our thaughts on dyeing and waxing sorry your holyness disagrees who is trying to be the expert?? LOL youre a gem

last i heard phil won it again i dont compete in it sounds fun thew one year if i get the time and money id like to them guys there are some of the best man i learned from wayne derrick competed in it a long time ago took second if i remember right i think the leggett brothers took it
i got plenty of adc work to keep me buisy i do see that you might want to purpose a challenge mabe? in that case come down anytime you wish perhads this summer spring even next winter is good for me we have alot of public land or perhaps we can trap some of my private land we can have our own new mexico competition if you would like to i got nothin to prove especialy over an internet argument but if you would like to come down id be more then happy to have ya no protection on coyotes here if ya want to trap cats youl have to buy a licence as well as with grey fox lovington new mexico is where i am at we have some nice motels in hobbs or here in lovington and rates aint to bad we can go down to the easy part to trap the sand country or we can work the top of the caprock bring a pick. i got some good judges here as well we can run a hundred traps apeice or less im shure we can find judges what shall the winnings be? and what dates do you purpose? im fixing to start cats here and thats my money but this spring would be great around march fubuary is a blast as well on coyotes they start rubbing but a guy can have some fun be perfect for a lil competition

Last edited:
i also have nothing to prove and would probably struggle at a challenge in another fellers back yard...

did you mean this phil brown.. the one that is the 3 year challenge winner and who stopped by and had dinner with me on his way?

lmao

Photo-0212.jpg

I have always dyed my traps with log wood, walnut, etc. The way I see it is if I'm going to boil my traps anyways I might as well dye them while I am at it. I don't know if its really necessary but it can't hurt either. As far a the speed dip goes, I can't bring myself to try it on my K9 traps.

Originally Posted By: ksboy2i also have nothing to prove and would probably struggle at a challenge in another fellers back yard...

did you mean this phil brown.. the one that is the 3 year challenge winner and who stopped by and had dinner with me on his way?

lmao

Photo-0212.jpg

LMAO this whole post went down hill when your feelers got hurt

does being freinds with phil make you special or something?
LOL im freinds with tony tebbe wayne derrick and james lucero can i go into your tree house to? LMAO does people disagreeing with you make you feel that sensitive?
this post has gotten childish im sorry we have a diffrence of opinion im glad youre freinds with phil hes a dam fine trapper should i shake your hand give you a cuban cigar and congradulate you for your freinds? sad thing is i dont exactly disagree with you on this post but for some reason you want to see who can pee further lol i got a life to live ,traps to run and certainly more important things to do then to swap pictures and compare weiners lol
have a nice day

SalemDawger, I dont dye my traps the first year, I just clean the oil off and wax them. the wax helps them to function faster, it doesnt stop rust. I let them rust in the ground the first year, the second year I dye them in either walnut hulls or logwood dye. walnut hulls are free
wink.gif
the dyeing process stops the rusting of the trap.

most yotes dig a trap up because it wasnt bedded solid and the stepped on the jaw or lever and it moved on them, the dig to find out what moved.

WOW!!!! I guess we can all have an opinion as long as it doesn't conflict with yours huh? This is the reason why I don't like these forums. You are way to arrogant for me. I'll come to your back yard and trap with ya. A coyotes a coyote! It doesn't matter the country your in.
This game sucks! I don't have a pic of me with any famous trappers. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week. Which one is you ksboy2?

my main concern is that i do not want to be confused with people that post on these forums and really have no concept of what trapping is all about...i was never trying to have a pissing match but i will always back up my opinion...

just wanted to let the feller know that "my" opinion was not based on something i read on a trapping forum... thats all..

when you are just starting out and or trying to become a better trapper its hard to figure out who is blowing smoke and who is for real... way too many product pushers out there just trying to take advantage of newbies...

Originally Posted By: ksboy2my main concern is that i do not want to be confused with people that post on these forums and really have no concept of what trapping is all about...i was never trying to have a pissing match but i will always back up my opinion...

just wanted to let the feller know that "my" opinion was not based on something i read on a trapping forum... thats all..

when you are just starting out and or trying to become a better trapper its hard to figure out who is blowing smoke and who is for real... way too many product pushers out there just trying to take advantage of newbies...

whos pushing a product? im shure the moderators would have done something real quick on that one. sorry you cant take a diffrent opinion come on down to new mexico and find out i trap almost all year round we can make time ; ) same reason i seldom post on the internet anymore dustyc everyone has something to prove fact is who gives a rip? i do enjoy your posts kansas ya got some good information thew we seem to disagree on this issue ( im still trying to figure out what we disagree on) but it dont bother me
dusty when you comeing thru milensand? shoot me a pm

Originally Posted By: ksboy2my arguement was that you guys should not of told the feller to dye his traps as it is not necessary!!!

i do not think you get dug traps from color or dye odor...

i think you get dug traps from "wobble"....

This is your opinion. I gave mine. He didn't even ask if he should dye or not. He simply asked the opinion on speed or logwood.
You are telling everyone out there that you are the only one that knows anything. You started this pissin match when you tried to tell me I don't know what I'm doing. Youa are part way right about that. I am on here to learn. I have had the oppurtunity to be around some of the best trappers in Wyoming and the US. Every single one of them dye's and waxes his traps. They all have lots of reasons for doing it.
I wish I would have met you along toime ago ksboy2!!! You would have saved me some money and time and I caould have been perfect like you!!!!!!!;)

I'm hoping to leave on Thursday if the garage has my truck back together. I'll pm my number. You might know a couple of my good friends down there.

Chilson. I have seen your posts on here and have read them, I have always listened too what you had to say.. I'd take some lessons from ya.. JMO..

Get on that trapline.. LOL

See ya..

glad to see you're coming around.. lmbo... hahahahahahahaha

You would have saved me some money and time and I caould have been perfect like you!!!!!!!;)

Back