MN Blaze Orange At Night?

LonecoyoteWI

Do you need to where blaze orange coyote hunting at night during the muzzleloader season? To me it sounds like a dumb question, but another person brought it up and the regulations wasnt clear.

Sorry bob but by state law you have to wear blaze orange if your hunting coyotes during the day. Even if you are out not hunting you are to wear blaze orange by Mn law. Guys out trapping get tickets all the time for not wearing orange during firearms and muzzle loader seasons.

Originally Posted By: foxxI thought in minnesota we can only hunt at nite jan.1 st.-march 15th?

Hunt all year at night if you want. The jan 1st-march 15th is for using a handheld light with shotgun. But read up on that because there is a bunch of side laws that go with the light and shotgun.

Originally Posted By: frozenbutt But read up on that because there is a bunch of side laws that go with the light and shotgun.
Like when using an artificial light it has to handheld. So since my shotgun is handheld, the flashlight is mounted on my shotgun, therefore is the flashlight still considered handheld?

Here is a cut and paste from page 26 of the 2011 regs.
Quote:A person hunting for coyote or fox from Jan. 1 to March 15 may use
an artificial handheld light under all of the following conditions:
• While on foot and not within a public right of way
• Using a shotgun
• Using a calling device
• Not within 200 feet of a vehicle

Here is also the cut and paste from page 24 that pertains to wearing orange.
Quote:blaze Orange Requirements
Small Game Seasons: You may not take small game unless a
visible portion of at least one article of clothing above the waist is
blaze orange, except when hunting wild turkeys, migratory birds,
raccoons, predators, when hunting by falconry, or while trapping.
Deer Season: Also, you may not hunt or trap during any open
season where deer may be taken by firearms (including special
hunts, early antlerless, youth seasons, and muzzleloader) under
applicable laws and ordinances unless the visible portion
of your
cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding
sleeves and
gloves, is blaze orange. Red is not a legal color, except for those
who qualify under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993.
Blaze orange
includes
a camouflage
pattern
of at least 50 percent
blaze orange within each square foot. This restriction
does not
apply to migratory waterfowl
hunters on waters or in a stationary
shooting location
or to trappers on waters. Times and zones for
firearms are shown in the map on next page. Muzzleloader season
is open statewide, except for closed areas (see page 88).

I think the law is kinda vague when it comes to using artificial lights. Is it a valid argument to say that since my shotgun is handheld the light mounted on it is also handheld. If not, then I would assume using or wearing lights on your head would also be illegal, after all, it is not handheld, it is headheld.....
blink.gif

You bring up some valid points about the "hand-held" term Cobb.

Here in CO some of out laws are just as vague and subject to officer interpretation.
I have gone to our local DOW officer an many different occasions and asked some questions.
I have received conflicting answers depending on which officer I talk to.

I think the best thing to do is call your local office and get their opinion and the name of the officer that gave it to you.

The light has got to be in your hand. When they were trying to pass this law it was to be handheld or mounted to a shotgun or rifle. Ended up with only shotguns and it has to be handheld.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttThe light has got to be in your hand. When they were trying to pass this law it was to be handheld or mounted to a shotgun or rifle. Ended up with only shotguns and it has to be handheld.
So you are indicating that a headlamp would not be legal?

Originally Posted By: cobbOriginally Posted By: frozenbuttThe light has got to be in your hand. When they were trying to pass this law it was to be handheld or mounted to a shotgun or rifle. Ended up with only shotguns and it has to be handheld.
So you are indicating that a headlamp would not be legal?

If you are holding it in your hand it would be. As for the law saying handheld light is so you don't use one mounted on a gun. The "but the gun is in my hand" therory won't slide to well with a warden or judge. But hey it's your money, do what you want.

Last edited:
I was in the Twin Cities today and somewhat in the area of the Minnesota DNR central office on 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul. So I decided to stop by and talk to them and get a clarification of the law on page 26 of the game laws that refer to the use of handheld artificial light. At the front desk I requested to speak to someone about a law clarification and they sent down Pat W., which I know is the person that gives these clarifications. I had talked with her a few years back when there was confusion as to using hen pheasants for dog training during the Minnesota Pheasant season.

So after a few greetings and both her and I reading the law on page 26, plus the other paperwork she brought with pertaining to the artificial light law, statute 97B.081, I asked her for a clarification that I presented as a question.

"So per the requirement in the law that says using a handheld artificial light, does that mean that I cannot use an artificial light on my head?"

Her answer, and I quote. "No, an artificial light worn on the head, mount on a shotgun, but not a rifle or a light handheld would be legal, there has been much discussion on this in the past."

Further conversation came back to the 200 foot distance from a vehicle to try to control the use of light from a vehicle. Also that it would not be legal to use a cart with a bank of batteries and lights mounted on it, that would not be handheld.

There was much more discussion about the this part of the law and safety considerations which was interesting. She did say that a hot topic as of late is the use of night vision equipment and that it is not legal to use, which is plainly stated on I believe page 27 of the Minnesota game laws.

So bottom line, I am good to go January 1st with a XLR-100 flashlight mounted to my shotgun with a load of #4 buckshot.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cobbI was in the Twin Cities today and somewhat in the area of the Minnesota DNR central office on 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul. So I decided to stop by and talk to them and get a clarification of the law on page 26 of the game laws that refer to the use of handheld artificial light. At the front desk I requested to speak to someone about a law clarification and they sent down Pat W., which I know is the person that gives these clarifications. I had talked with her a few years back when there was confusion as to using hen pheasants for dog training during the Minnesota Pheasant season.

So after a few greetings and both her and I reading the law on page 26, plus the other paperwork she brought with pertaining to the artificial light law, statute 97B.081, I asked her for a clarification that I presented as a question.

"So per the requirement in the law that says using a handheld artificial light, does that mean that I cannot use an artificial light on my head?"

Her answer, and I quote. "No, an artificial light worn on the head, mount on a shotgun, but not a rifle or a light handheld would be legal, there has been much discussion on this in the past."

Further conversation came back to the 200 foot distance from a vehicle to try to control the use of light from a vehicle. Also that it would not be legal to use a cart with a bank of batteries and lights mounted on it, that would not be handheld.

There was much more discussion about the this part of the law and safety considerations which was interesting. She did say that a hot topic as of late is the use of night vision equipment and that it is not legal to use, which is plainly stated on I believe page 27 of the Minnesota game laws.

So bottom line, I am good to go January 1st with a XLR-100 flashlight mounted to my shotgun with a load of #4 buckshot.
thumbup.gif

That's what I was told also. We have rehashed this here quite a few times. Handheld was meant to limit you from using a vehilce mounted light and poorly worded. There was talk of rewritting it but it never happened. I've been checked several times by different CO's and none have mentioned gun mounted or headlight mounted lights.

I suggest anyone that has questions contact the DNR and not get your info off the internet or your own interpretation of the rules.

Originally Posted By: cobb
thumbup.gif

I've found that its faster to search and safer to have either a handheld actually held in your hand or by a partner to search with and a gun mounted light for when you shoot. With only a gun mounted light you have to swing the barrel back and forth when you scan for eyes and it becomes a PIA and can be unsafe when hunting with a partner.

I use a headlight for walking in and setting up and for searching for calls ect... and then a hand held for scanning. I just hold it in my left hand along the forearm to shoot. I've tried several gun mounted lights and never liked having to scan with the gun. They work better on a rifle for longer range shots but we are limited to shotguns with lights and things tend to either take forever to come together and you get tired swinging the gun all over or it happens lightning fast and you could potentially accidently swing your barrel across a non-target while trying to keep up with a running coyote.

Just my experience from quite a few night time stands. Take it for what its worth.

Good luck and have fun.

Tim

I actually have a shotgun mount with red, a handheld with red that I can also wear on my head and a headlight that is white. I scan with the red handheld, but also have the red mounted on the shotgun as an option.

I agree, don't plan to scan with the shotgun mount for what I consider a safety factor and also I think a bit awkward, but still want it there if I want to bring it into play. And of course with having a shotgun mount light, I want to make sure that I was not in violation of the law for just having it.

Back