-14 & No Wind Hmmmm What should I do today......

yotezapper

I decided to get out and make a day of calling Monday. The wind had been crazy all day Sunday and I figured that the coyotes would be out moving. I drove 10 min from the house for the first set, it was just getting light, I made the quick hike from the pickup, and set up over looking a frozen dam with brush around it, The neighbors cows were hunkered down in the draw over the hill. I started with a tricky distress sound that I am growing quite fond of. At the 8 min, mark a big pale bugger came loping over the hill to my right, I waited for him to hit a little tall grass so I could swing my sticks. I barked him to a stop at 140yds and a NBT to the neck convinced him to stay for breakfast. He was a whopper, definatly the biggest of the year so far.

017.jpg

I made one more dry set in a super awesome area that I will try again soon. I headed home to feed my calves and do my other chores as I was supposed to meet up with a buddy at noon to call the rest of the day.
We decided to give up an hour of calling and haul a$$ to a new area we had never called before. We were just about to where we wanted to make the first set and I spotted a dog leaving the county on my side of the truck, turns out the mirror makes a really nice rest and I let the smoke pole bark. SWEET No. two was in the truck. I love freebies!!(We weren't on a county rd by the way)
The next set I played a little sick bunny and was finishing the set with Pup in D, the call said 18 min and I was getting ready to move on when a hard charger came screaming over the hill from the left, he got 80yds out and my bud barked, I sent another NBT down his throat...so then there were three.
thumbup1.gif

We made two more dry stands and had time for one more before dark. We set up on a really steep hill over looking a big creek below..I'm thinking, Oh this is gonna work I'm grining at my buddy, he looks at me and says, "whats wrong with you" I smile and say just be ready I think this one is gonna be quick. I start off with a little Lighting Jack and within seconds have a big yote running right towards us. I muted the caller and the dog stopped my buddies rifle barked and the bullet hit him right in the chest, he had enough gas to make a run for the creek and I got another pill in him to roll him up for good. NO. 4 is down and we call it a day. Thought I would share.
020.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DANG Zapper, that's nice! It sure does't take much wind when the temps are that cold to demotivate you. They look real prime and nice teefees too...

You are motivating me to get out. Hopefully the wind cooperates here tomorrow after work. Job well done by the way.

Nice going Cory. Man, those are some large coyotes. And what th heck is all that white crap in th first photo?

Way to go!

That was an excellent day!!! Four coyotes in the pickup and nice looking coyotes too. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

Ya we have about 6-8 inches of snow, which is perfect for calling. You can still get around about anywhere without getting stuck, and the hiking is still easy.

GEC- Ya someday MAYBE I will have real job,
wink.gif
self employed is awesome if a guy can make it work...especially during hunting season. See you in a week or two.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Back