Gun safe lock extended warranty

Roger London

Just bought a new Winchester Safe from TSC and noticed when I went online to register the warranty that for $75.00 you could buy an extended lock warranty that would extend the la gard lock warranty period for an additional nine years. Worth it?

Last edited:
That would depend on how the warranty is written and what it actually covers...Some warranties have so many exceptions written in that filing for a claim is more trouble than the warranty is worth and therefore they never have to pay off... similar to some homeowners insurance policies...

That tends to be my thinking too. I sent them an email to find out what it covers. We'll see. I make look into having the electronic lock changed out for a dial lock toward the end of the warranty period and having be done with it.

I may have some info for you.I work on the locks for a living they both need yearly maintenance.The battery needs to be changed once a year with a duracell batt.not any other kind they do not tell you that.The manual or dial lock should be cleaned and lubed once a year and {not with wd40}white liuthum grease.both locks are good and don't fail very often and should last alot of years if taken care of.The manual lock will most likely last longer but have problems jumping numbers if not taken care of and cleaned and reset.Well that is my TWO CENTS WORTH

Electronic locks scare me...but, there have been a bunch of the mechanical locks that are still keeping thieves honest after many, many years...Not that they can't be circumvented by someone that really understands them, but there are no dead' batteries involved or short circuited boards to worry about..

Yes but both locks can fail and you are still left having to drill them open.honestly not the locks so much as the relockers or time locks or now alarms.the batteries are accesible from the front.I personally would stay with the eletronic lock or upgrade it ot a better model like a laguard 39e

I got an email from Winchester Safes today. I had sent them one asking if the extended warranty would cover having someone come out and access the safe if a lock failure made it impossible to get into. They said it would. This makes the extended warranty tempting.

Buy it!! it will cost you more just to have somebody drive out to look at it.A good lock tec will cost you 75 and up just to come and not do anything

Back