Trapping muskrats in the push ups

I'm starting trapping this years and will be trapping muskrat and yotes. I found a whole bunch of muskrat push ups and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips about trapping them in there.
Thanks for the replies

To trap pushups, you will have to open the top of the pushup and set a trap on the ice itself, its alot of work for not very great success rates...I would recommend that you just trap at runs, lodges, and feed sets. Thats just my opinion

I have trapped pushups in the winter after the ice is safe. Cut a hole big enough to reach in and remove some of the vegetation. place the trap (if a leghold) in front of the dive hole with (I use) about 3 foot of wire. I use various size traps in pushups depending on the size. The heavier/ bigger trap will ensure that the rat will drown faster. take some of the wet vegetation and place around the lip of the hole. Know place the chunk that you cut out firmly against the hole and plaster any remaining vegetation around the edge of the plug. When done, pack snow against the affected area. You want a air tight seal. If its not then the dive hole will freeze. Oh don't forget to fasten the wire to a pole lol...done that before in a hurry lol. I like to use extra wire and heavier traps not only for a quick kill but if a rat is inside and in your trap...any coyote or fox will come along and have a free meal. You can use a 110 over the dive hole also if there is enough room also. Good luck. post some pics of your catch. Ask away if you have anymore questions.
-Derek

Thanks for the tip about the 110, Derek. I was considering trying some in January on some huts. I haven't trapped a lot of rats, but have access to gobs of them, so I think in January I am going to attack them. I usually like the footholds, but the 110s should be fun and I have several of them. Do they need to be secured, or just laid over the hole?

a small stick through the spring and a couple pencil size ones under the jaw if needed..if not then no. I do prefer the leg holds over the 110's only because it will free up the hole and not plug it up if another rat wants to use it.

cool. make sure you send some pics. I have done alot of water trapping. If you have any questions feel free to ask. You can PM me if you want. Good luck. Keep us posted.

im also interested in rat trapping and have a few spots here in west Virginia with a good rat population. do you recommend 110`s or do you use mostly leg holds?

Back