Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2064416 - 12/06/11 09:56 AM Whats the best coyote call for a beginner?
Whitetail Hunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
what do you think is the best call for a beginner that is not too much money? either electronic or not. Also is the quiver critter with a distress call a good combo?

#2064424 - 12/06/11 10:05 AM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: Whitetail Hunter]
Hibs Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Monterey, CA
Just buy a cottontail in distress mouth call for $10. Then watch YouTube for examples on how to call. Practice before you go out. Then hit the sticks and see how it works!

#2064456 - 12/06/11 10:44 AM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: Hibs]
carsonwild Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Cody,Wy
A closed reed call are the easiest to make good sounds with for the beginner.
Like primos ki-yi or some of the guys that are sponsored here on predator master.
Buy Tony Tebbs cd and you'll learn alot from that.

Edited by carsonwild (12/06/11 10:46 AM)

#2064459 - 12/06/11 10:52 AM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: carsonwild]
rezdog Offline

Loc: AZ
Primos Catnip would be my choice. My wife called in a coyote with it on her first attempted to call.

#2064601 - 12/06/11 01:14 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: rezdog]
cayotehunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Northern California
Get a circe closed reed call. That was my first call and its called in more yotes for me than any other call ive had, including my custom ones. Maybe its coincidence but its still a good call IMO

#2064713 - 12/06/11 03:26 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: cayotehunter]
Whitetail Hunter Offline
Seasoned Member

how do you tell if its closed reed?

#2064731 - 12/06/11 03:49 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: Whitetail Hunter]
cp_meeks Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Whitsett, Tx
If you go with a open reed Id get a verminator tweety for starters

#2064754 - 12/06/11 04:13 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: cp_meeks]
getfoxy Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA
PM Kerry Carver, let him hook you up with a swift call (closed reed) and any one of his open reeds. Then watch some videos and get out there.

Kerry's calls work. If they will bring in critters for me in KY they will do wonders for you in Canada.

#2064818 - 12/06/11 05:07 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: cayotehunter]
jarheadhunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Tooele, Utah
Originally Posted By: cayotehunter
Get a circe closed reed call. That was my first call and its called in more yotes for me than any other call ive had, including my custom ones. Maybe its coincidence but its still a good call IMO

That's awsome that's what I used for my first yote. I didn't have a clue what I was doing just kept at it and here comes a coyote. I was so excited I missed it by yds.

Edited by jarheadhunter (12/06/11 05:10 PM)

Semper Fi
You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carefully.

#2064824 - 12/06/11 05:12 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: jarheadhunter]
Pacecar Offline
Seasoned Member

The Haydels Government Hunter Cottontail (GHC) is closed reed mouth call that is considered a basic entry-level, easy to use call that works well on coyotes.

#2064884 - 12/06/11 06:12 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: Whitetail Hunter]
Wolfe Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NE OK
a closed reed call is the type that you can't see the reed kind of like a common duck call or grunt call. an open reed call, you can actually see the reed and you actually put the reed in your mouth to produce the sound. A closed reed is easier for a beginner. My first one was a Knight and Hale cottontail distress. I wouldn't really worry about blowing it too loud, just try to make it sound like something is in bad shape. I would usually call for about a minute or so, look around a couple minutes and then repeat. Just be ready to shoot when you start, It doesn't happen alot, but I have had some show up in less than a minute. Good Luck!

#2064929 - 12/06/11 06:43 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: Wolfe]
zack blain Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: western new york
save your money and don't waste it on the critter. Get a Jonny stewart pelt master(very versatile call, can be blown closed reed or exposed, also has a nice sqeaker. I like my primos lil dog for howls and some distress. I Purchased a foxpro spitfire last year and it has been a great purchase. They all have their place

#2064969 - 12/06/11 07:19 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: zack blain]
Whitetail Hunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Cass Creek Ergo Predator Electronic Game Call

Cass Creek ™Ergo Predator Electronic Game Call is compact and has an ergonomic grip. With one a hand push button operation, this game call is easy to use. The Cass Creek ™Ergo Predator Electronic Game Call features real live predator calls. The sounds are high quality and effective to ensure you call in the predator you want.

The Ergo Shock Box Predator Electronic Game Call has five calls on one unit, auto interrupt feature, and a handy on /off and volume thumb dial.

anyone ever try the cass creek predator electronic call? how is it?

heres the description:

Operates on 3 AAA batteries (included/installed) and comes with a convenient belt clip.

Coyote Locator- The locator call of an adult female coy
Coyote Food Fight – Coyotes fighting over food; attracts all other coyotes.
Cottontail Distress – The high pitched squeal means an easy meal to a coyote.
Baby Jack Distress – The eerie sound of a baby jackrabbit in trouble.

#2064979 - 12/06/11 07:23 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: Whitetail Hunter]
getfoxy Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA
Convientent belt clip to leave hanging in a tree when it finaly pizzes you off for the last time.

Run far away from cass creek. Not nearly loud enough.

#2065015 - 12/06/11 07:52 PM Re: Whats the best coyote call for a beginner? [Re: getfoxy]
cathntr Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Adrian, Missouri
If going with a hand call I would choose one of the Primos Catnips. Or the call makers here produce some excellent calls. If going electric go with either the Johnny Stewart PM-3 or the PM-4. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Redfrog 

Forum Stats
47888 Members
83 Forums
285134 Topics
2695737 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
bowjunkie, goatknight98, MD Archer, mwaddell, ohiogary, SgtLesDavenport, Smith

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.