Don't buy the Ruger sr22! Design flaw!

SalemDawger

Last year I wanted a tactical 22 for no reason.

I read a bunch of reviews and decided on the Ruger because I like 10-22s for reliability and that is all this gun is.

The problem is, to clean the gun you have to remove the flat top rail, which means you have to remove the scope, which means you have to always zero the gun, which means I will be wearing out my scope turrets, which means I am not happy.

Also, the screws that hold the top rail loosen with repeated firing and over tightening worries me due to them stripping.

This gun is a huge pain to clean.

On the flip side it feels good and is more accurate than the other 10-22 I have or have owned.

This could have been a great little gun with a little design tweaking.

I haven't seen one up close and personal - can you drill a hole in the back of the receiver for your cleaning rod, like on a normal 10-22?

better question - who cleans a 22 that frequently? i have a beater 10/22 that has a good 4000+ rounds through, and hasnt been cleaned....and no ftf, fte, etc, it just eats everything and keeps ticking - just saying....i also have a 10/22, that is shiny and clean, but........

SalemDawger,,,Why not just get an OTIS cleaning kit and pull the brushes/patches through the chamber/barrel area??

After looking at them on the Ruger website, I don't really see a reason for taking anything off, it something similar to the Otis Kit is used...If there is excessive build up in the chamber, a shot of brake cleaner should remove it as well...

Originally Posted By: hk1123better question - who cleans a 22 that frequently? i have a beater 10/22 that has a good 4000+ rounds through, and hasnt been cleaned....and no ftf, fte, etc, it just eats everything and keeps ticking - just saying....i also have a 10/22, that is shiny and clean, but........

thats my thoughts.... ive got a couple 10/22s and other than one Ive sunk a considerable amount of $ into I dont really clean them.... maybe a rag and some breakfree through the bore on occasion but other than that i cant imagine cleaning one to the point of taking it apart more than once a year...

Jim

I have a 10/22 that made the second year of production and about 5 years ago (had never had the bore cleaned) I decided it was time to clean it. I just removed the barrel (2 allen screws), then I had full access to the barrel to get it spotless.

Originally Posted By: SalemDawger

The problem is, to clean the gun you have to remove the flat top rail, which means you have to remove the scope, which means you have to always zero the gun, which means I will be wearing out my scope turrets, which means I am not happy.

You lost me right there.

WHY do you have to remove the scope base or rail as you're calling it?

Unlike some of the other guys I have cleaned mine on occasion and I have never removed the scope or base. I just can't understand the need to??

Guys,,There is a difference between the normal 10/22 and the SR22...the SR22 is more like the AR design/configuration...except, I don't think the upper pivots away from the lower like a regular AR...

Like you all, I don't see the need to remove the scope rail though...

If it were presenting that much problem to clean, then why not mount the scope in a decent LaRue mount that maintains zero all the time..On the picture, on the website, it appears to just be an EOP on the weapon..

Good news I found the fix!

The reason you needed to remove the top rail was because the tolerances were too tight on the early guns (mine) to allow the lower housing from the action with out the space allowed by removing the top rail. This has been fixed in the newer version.
I just found an article about this and the guy even shows how to fix the problem on the older guns

Here's a link to the fix.
http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_sr-22_p4.php

I will be a lot happier if I can fix this problem.

I have had to clean the gun three times this year due to stove pipe problems and feeding problems after 300-400 rounds. This gun has not been as reliable as my other 10-22, for which I have no explanation, and removing 10 + screws to clean a gun has been a drag me. I am tiered of having to zero the gun 5 times, three times due to cleaning, and twice due to the scope rail becoming loose.

I like the look of the sr22 but its just a 10/22 action with a AR loooking housing. i think if I PERSONALLY were to get a tacticall .22 i would buy one of the mil-spec ones. or just take a ruger 10/22 and use the Tapco Intrafuse system, same basic concept but less money. a 10/22 can be had for 150-200 NEW and the Intrafuse stock for 99 dollars instead of paying 500 for the sr22 just my .02

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SalemDawger

Here's a link to the fix.
http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_sr-22_p4.php

That answered my *why* question. Never saw one of those before.

Sounds like an easy modification. In fact you should be done with it by now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleSalemDawger,,,Why not just get an OTIS cleaning kit and pull the brushes/patches through the chamber/barrel area??

My thoughts exactly. Thats one of the easiest ways to clean a gun IMO

The Otis will not clean the trigger, firing pin assembly and the action, which is why the gun is not cycling properly.

It would be by far the best way to clean the barrel and chamber, and I intend to have one in my stocking this year from Santa.

Fixed the problem! All I had to do was file down the two fingers in front of the magazine well to allow the upper to swing off the lower.
The sr22 is the best tactical 22 out there! Everyone should buy one!

Lol

I have the later version of the SR22. And the newer ones have the problem fixed so there is no need to take off the top rail to get the gun completely apart. I have had zero issues with mine and I shoot it suppressed all the time so my gun is probably more dirty than most from all the suppressed rounds. Love the gun. It turns heads at the range especially with the suppressor on. All you hear is the slap of the action.
thumbup1.gif

Back