WHAT ABOUT A 308 FOR LONG RANGE??

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

WHAT ABOUT A 308 FOR LONG RANGE?? Deer and elk hunting or would it only be good for deer sized game? Thanks Dave

Long range as in 600 to 800 yards.

Ummmm...a little off topic, but....

How do you tell if you hit it or not if it walks or runs off, and how do you find the exact spot where it was standing to look for a blood trail????

Not trying to start a feud, but a deer/elk is not a paper target or steel plate, and IMHO deserves enough respect to be 95% sure of shot placement with the first round, from a cold bore, in the wind, from a field position, with whatever range measuring (NOT guessing) equipment you use.

If you can consistently hit a paper plate under these conditions at those distances (!!!!), well...a .308 is going to be running out of steam on elk out there, IMHO. .300 mag with a 180 will hit much harder. .308 would do better under 600. A match-profile Barnes TSX 168 might do well.

Like I said, not trying to sound high and mighty, but I shudder to think of how many animals have been wounded by guys slinging lead way out there and then not even knowing if they hit them, and not even being able to walk out and find the exact spot the critter was standing to follow them up....I prefer being close enough to be very certain under field conditions...and yes, I've shot my share of rounds to 600 and further (mostly iron-sighted in competition) to know how hard it is.

The 308 is a great long range rifle.

To me 500 yards is longer than I would probaly ever shoot. That being said, I practice out to 540 yards as often as possible. I know for a fact, that the right 308 bullet will have plenty of speed and energy out to 500 yards and probably farther. It just takes practice to make that kind of shot. It's up to each hunter to know what his rifle and more important, what the hunters capabilities are.

I know a guy that makes 1000 yard+ shots on deer all the time. There is not an unethical bone in his body. He just has the combination of the right equipment, knowledge, practice and hunting land.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: Colorado PeteUmmmm...a little off topic, but....

How do you tell if you hit it or not if it walks or runs off, and how do you find the exact spot where it was standing to look for a blood trail????

Not trying to start a feud, but a deer/elk is not a paper target or steel plate, and IMHO deserves enough respect to be 95% sure of shot placement with the first round, from a cold bore, in the wind, from a field position, with whatever range measuring (NOT guessing) equipment you use.

If you can consistently hit a paper plate under these conditions at those distances (!!!!), well...a .308 is going to be running out of steam on elk out there, IMHO. .300 mag with a 180 will hit much harder. .308 would do better under 600. A match-profile Barnes TSX 168 might do well.

Like I said, not trying to sound high and mighty, but I shudder to think of how many animals have been wounded by guys slinging lead way out there and then not even knowing if they hit them, and not even being able to walk out and find the exact spot the critter was standing to follow them up....I prefer being close enough to be very certain under field conditions...and yes, I've shot my share of rounds to 600 and further (mostly iron-sighted in competition) to know how hard it is.

Point well taken! Food for thought. I just like the 308 but maybe should keep my hunting shots under 500 yards. Thanks Dave

If I felt compelled to shoot game animals at that distance, I think I'd use something with a bit more velocity than a .308, and/or a cartridge with a slightly flatter trajectory. To me, that doesn't necessarily mean a magnum cartridge - a .260 Remington or 6.5-284 might be just the ticket.

The problems you'd run into there would be ammo price and availability if you don't reload, and barrel life if you do. You're going to need to expend some ammo in regular practice sessions, and both of the cartridges I mentioned are significantly harder on barrels than a .308.

i shoot a bolt action .308 at preds, but i keep it under 300 yards. can't see taking one at 600, but that is me. i'm in desert/scrub area and that is about how far you can see. i do like the .308 with the 150 grain AMaxx for dogs though.

It all depends how confident you are with your rifle. I am usually at the range 2 to 3 mornings a week, cause I work 3rd. shift, and with the 168 gr. Berger VLD I can keep them in a 3 inch circle at 500 yds. all day long (off a bipod and rear bag.)
I would say 500 would be my limit for taking ethical shots at deer sized game. I have read good and bad results with the Bergers so I am currently working on a Barnes 130 gr.TTSX load. I got it to shoot an inch for 3 shots at 300 yds so far and will test it at 500 soon. I know the Barnes will penetrate, 2 holes are better than 1.
I would try a shot at a coyote or Mtn. lion farther.
Tarey

Longrange hunting will always be an ethical debate with people usually being on one side of the fence or the other. We take our 308s out to 1000 regularly and shoot our big guns much further. We literally shoot thousands of rounds through the year so our first round hits are way up there percentage wise. That being said I don't think I have shot a game animal much over 350. If you are going to hunt longrange take the time to learn it and do it right or you will give the anti longrange types more ammo against shooting far.

I will say there are more wounded animals out there from the weekend warriors who only shoot come hunting season and put there gun away after season than the dedicated longrange guy who has put the time and money on the line to learn shooting at distance. The longrange game ends up costing a small fortune so prepare to pay.

308 is not a long range caliber by design. It does not have the velocity like the 30 caliber long range guns that are all the rage right now.

That being said, you could shoot it long range if you knew what you were doing. I just would not recommend shooting an elk with it at 800 yards, too little energy left. Oh, by the way, I would shoot any big game over 400 regardless of what gun I was using, that is just my ethic, not telling others what to do.

A 308 would kill a coyote from very long range, just not flat enough shooting to be what I think of as true a long range gun. 25-06, 257 Ackley,

it all really comes down to practice and knowing your equipment. with the right bullet/scope/and lots of practice a .308 will work at those long ranges. but as stated above it all comes down to knnowing your capabilities and tose of your equipment and ETHICS whic vary from person to person. you could always go out and spend a wholel bunch of money on one of the rifles made by greybull or best of the west ect. and have a "proven" long range shooter.

For reliable 800yd accuracy, you will need a .5 MOA rifle. A consistant .5 MOA rifle, not one that produces .5 MOA targets here or there. With the right bullet and shot placement, a 600yard shot is a possibility. But 800 is approaching the 308's limits and elk are no whitetail.

Well it would be used only on deer over 300 yards. I live in washington where there is 10 to 20 vehicles parked every mile on the roads in elk country. And that is no exageration. If you shoot at 300 yards at an elk you better be a marathon runner. Because our woods fill up with scumbag liberal wannbe hunters. That will steal your elk. It is alot better during deer season. I probably would not shoot past 600 yards at the most so maybe a 270 would be a good choice. Thanks Dave

People here say good things about the .280 Remington and the Hornady 162 grain A-Max bullet. That, a good laser range finder, and a place to practice regularly out to 600 might give you some warm fuzzies. Trajectory is easy, but the wind is a gut-shot grizzly bear...

People watch "Best of the West" and just think its easy....nothing to it right? I just have to lay down and spin the turret on my "Huskemaw" scope and pull the trigger. Yeah, that cant be hard at all, I think I'll give it a try. They said anyone can be a Long Range Hunter if I have their scope and shoot Berger Boo-lits!!

Jesus!!! I despise that show for this very reason! They need to be whacked in the head with their Huskemaw scope.

I love long range hunting. Ive engulfed myself in it over the last 2yrs. I made my 2 longest kill shots to date in October and November. The first was a coyote at 627yds with a 7WSM and the second was a deer at 689yds with a 6.5x47L. Obviously, neither of these are a .308. I practice alot! I shoot atleast 20 rounds a week at minimum and sometimes I'll shoot 35-50 rounds in a day. I put alot of focus on first round cold bore shots. That's what counts the most. On my property I have white backer boards set up at various locations and I'll "stalk" these targets as if in a hunting scenario. This was way I've been walking so I'm breathing a bit harder than normal. I have to get down prone on the gun cold. I range it and send it. I have 1" hot dots on the backer boards. A 1" dot at 500yds is a pretty small target, but it gives me a precise point to aim at rather than something so large like steel plates. No, I'm not "bulls eyeing" the 1" dot, but I'm in the vitals easily on a game animal.

Anyway, my point to all this is if you want to hunt long range then go for it, but you need to spend the time practicing FIRST. Don't use the deer for target practice. That cold bore shot is where it's at. If you shoot a decent group on rounds 4-9, that's not near as important as round #1.

As to your question on a .308......if long range is your game, then you are severely handicapping yourself with the .308. I'm not saying it can't do it, but why not pick something that can do it easy. Something in the 6.5mm shooting 140's or the 7mm shooting 168's to 180's.

Also....a few things your need to this right.
1.) a chronograph.....it's just almost a "must" if you don't want to waste alot of ammo.
2.) a good rangefinder....never leave home without it.
3.) a good rear bag.
4.) some type of ballistics calculator for dope that you trust/is proven accurate to compensate for varying conditons such as temp, humidity, altitude, pressure, wind. You can make a dope card, but a dope card made at 3,450ft on a 80 degree day with 53% humidity is not going to be accurate at 5,650ft on a 35 degree day with 75% humidity. You have to account for changes in enviroment.

Happy hunting!

Well said Trevor. It seems like every day I meet some guy who's now some hot shot long range killer. The dude buys a .30-378 a box of shells and heads to the range. Sights the gun in, prints a ballistic chart from some web page and heads for the hills. Deer and elk are not what you shoot at as you figure this long range stuff out.

If you do your homework, cool
If not, 200 yards may be too long!

The .308 will do the job at long range on deer, but I sure would not use it on elk. It just does not have the punch for big stuff. Using frangible bullets, it works pretty well on deer and is indeed accurate. A friend of mine has killed deer out to over 700 yards and several over 450 yards using Hornady A-max bullets. I give him a hard time for using target bullets to hunt, but at the extended range, the low velocity seems to make them work fairly well. He knows his rifle extremely well and routinely shoots to 1000 yards because he is a police sniper and has to qualify with his rifle. There is very little room for error at long range.

I went to build a 308 (or as know in some circles 30LATE) in a pistol. Had barrel made and all. Got looking at ballistics and actually took gun out and shot it. Was wanting a 500-600 yd hunting gun. With all that being said it is a 300WSM now.

it's a proven round and easy to get componants and surplus ammo. but i'd say there are sexier calibers out there. if you like it, go for it.

Back