What AR rifle to hunt coyotes and deer? (see narrative)

oklahuntingfool

I usually research for days before I ask a question. This time, I'm going to be lazy and see if I can get lucky with an answer that fits.

I'm a virgin with the AR type rifles. I deer hunt with a Remington, bolt action, 30-06. I coyote hunt with an H&R .243. Very plain and economical. I am looking to buy an AR type rifle to hunt with, not just for targets. I cannot afford the top of the line. I am looking for a moderate priced rifle that is a good all around hunting rifle. I think I want one that looks more like a hunting rifle than a military rifle. What I mean is something like the Remington R15.

If you can decipher what I'm talking about and give me advice. Just looking for a place to start my research, just need to know what to look for.

try specialized dynamics or ar-15 performance. both are very well respected and can go as mild or wild as you want, and for the price point rra, remington, stag, etc can't touch them. d-tech is another to look into, also very well respected, and super high quality stuff as well.
i would personally go for the 6.8, but that's just because that's what i already have. in the wide open spaces of OK you may opt for the 6.5 grendel/lbc; but inside of 400 yds you're really just splitting hairs as both will do the job. at that distance i would worry more about my ability than the cartridge.
you may also opt for one of the wssm's, dti's, or big bore ar platforms, but that's a larger can of worms. for typical whitetail/ coyote/ paper punching it boils down to 6.8 vs 6.5. it really makes no difference, once you have one, you will want another and another any way.

i will add that scott at sd, and mike at dtech are site supporters. good luck with the brd.

you looking for a flat top ar-15. im shooting a 20 bull barrel in .223 for both deer and yotes..i agree . i posted a bit back about the 6.5 grendal and i liked the posts and feed back i was getting about it..

See my post and another post above-the 6.8 or 6.8 based cartridges are perfect for what you want. Or of course the Grendel is in the same class-just based on different parent case. TTT

Thanks for the info. However, let me again say I'm a virgin to the AR and I don't reload. A lot of the jargon is greek to me.

Some basic questions: I assume a flat top has a flat top for a scope?

Would I want a fixed stock? Does it affect accuracy at all?

I'm thinking of shots around 300 yards and in? Would I want .223 or .308. Is .223 cheaper on ammo? (remember, I'm new to this and never bought rounds.)

Are there any websites for beginners?

Thanks for the help?

Originally Posted By: oklahuntingfoolThanks for the info. However, let me again say I'm a virgin to the AR and I don't reload. A lot of the jargon is greek to me.

Some basic questions: I assume a flat top has a flat top for a scope?

Would I want a fixed stock? Does it affect accuracy at all?

I'm thinking of shots around 300 yards and in? Would I want .223 or .308. Is .223 cheaper on ammo? (remember, I'm new to this and never bought rounds.)

Are there any websites for beginners?

Thanks for the help?

Flat top will allow for scopes

Stock- This is personal preference and will not effect accuracy. Personally I like a collapsible stock to accommodate for different length of pull , LOP. For example, you may want a longer LOP when shooting in summer with t shirt and shorter for winter and heavy clothes.

Caliber- personally for me 223 is too light for deer. I know thousands of guys have killed deer with them, but again this is my preference. If you are talking .308 then you are talking about and AR10 which is more money and more weight than an AR15.

As the two previous posters I would go with a 6.5 to 6.8 calibers. This way you would have an AR15 lower and then if you wanted to buy a 223 upper somewhere down the road you could swap it out. So you could have a 6.8 for deer and swap it out for 223 for coyotes and have same lower, (Trigger, stock, etc)

As far as websites, this forum is full of very knowledgeable shooters. Keep the questions coming.

Sounds to me like you might be better off looking at the Remington R25 or the DPMS in either 243 or 308.Ammo can be found most places,and the 243 as far as I am concerned,is hard to beat.The 55 grain for coyote and the 100 grain for deer.

DPMS IN A FLAT TOP .308 $935. Plus shipping See Gun Broker auction Auction # 263329789

Not my auction but a super price on a very accurate rifle. Add a scope and the deer and elk all yours.

Originally Posted By: N WolfAre the 6.5 or 6.8 rounds available as factory ammo?

Yes, Hornady and to a much larger degree Silver State
Armory(SSA) offer 6.8 SPC ammo. SSA has a very good selection
of suitable deer ammo. The 6.5 Grendel/LBC also has some
factory support, but prices can run a bit more. I expect now
that the 6.5 Grendel exclusive name rights have been
relinquished by Alexander Arms, it will become more popular,
and followed by more factory ammo offerings...Price should
come down some, too.

One of the details to consider is the short fat sharp
shouldered 6.5 Grendel/LBC has a reputation for cycling
problems in some rifles. The 6.8 SPC was developed for the
rigors of combat, so the case style lends itself to smoother
cycling. Probably not a big deal in hunting rifles, but mine
moonlights as a Home Defense Rifle(HDR), so it matters to me.
As for ballistic differences there are little differences
out to 300 yards. After that the higher ballistic coefficient
6.5mm bullets start to shine.

Squeeze

For what you've told us you're looking for and everyone's suggestions, I would second getting the 6.8 SPC. That will probably be my next build and be from AR Performance.

With a lot of variables changing, I'd still go with the 6.8 SPC and set a budget. AR15 Performance, Noveski, Bison, heck - just check the 68forums.net sponsors for the highest end. I personally own RRA's because of personal and business affiliations and the guys are great! I don't see where my accuracy or performance is hurting with these as well.

some will toss out ammo availability - go to cheaperthandirt.com and order whatever you want. It will be to your door in 2 days. I get it the next day. AMmo is in the 18 dollar range for 20 in the 110 Pro hunter from SSA and the burner ammo is down around 15 for the otm or some of Sellier/Bellot loadings. Personal fave right now is the 85 gr TSX and the 110 AB's in hand loads . The little cartridge is a dream for handloading but if you are just factory shooting, there are reasonable prices out there for factory ammo.

Hope you post up what you decide on

Ted

This is a tough one. Personally, I would purchase one rifle for varmints, and then purchase a separate upper for whitetail.

Varmint: .204 or .223
Whitetail: 6.5 Grendel/LBC

Otherwise, you could do a .243 WSSM or .25 WSSM and that would be a catch all.

smile.gif

Last edited:
How about a 6x45 aka as a 6mm/.223

MyARs.jpg

Bottom rifle is the 6x45.

HSHDshellTOYBlizzard053.jpg

On the left is a 6x45 loaded with an 85gr Nosler Partition and on the right is a .223

Chupa

Chickenleg really hit the nail on the head. I will add that I always said I would never own one of those ugly things and I guess I kept my word because I now own five of em! By the way they are all accurate as any bolt gun I have.

Back