Cost for coyote mount?

Steve_in_PA

While talking with another deer hunter in the woods today, he mentioned that he shot a coyote on the first day of PA's deer season. He then mentioned he called a taxidermist to see about getting a full mount done and was told at a minimum it would be $650?? Is that the going rate??

Yeah really. Another hunter told him to just get the hide done. The hunter who got the coyote said he might just do a skull mount.

I missed a coyote a few years ago while deer hunting. I haven't made the switch to a dedicated predator hunter yet! But, there are supposed to be some nice coyotes running around where I am hunting and I always wanted to get one mounted. But $650+ for a coyote mount?? Yikes!!

I paid $625 for this 49lb male last winter
P5150332.jpg

P5150331.jpg

P5150334.jpg

P5150329.jpg

That's a nice mount. I might pay that much for work like that with the base. Most that do Coyotes, can't get the face right. They have that clubbed in the head look. I just want to get one done for a decoy.

Very nice mount!! The hunter I was talking to said it was about a 35lb female if I remember correctly.

If I got one worthy of mounting, I might have to keep the cost hidden from my better half! LOL!

Althought, with 9 cats in the house ain't no way I can get away with a floor mount! LOL!

Last edited:
These are some I have had mounted and the full mounts were 650.00 ea. The head mount 350.00.I know they are over priced, but there aren't many taxedermist around here that do a good job.

SAM_0751.jpg

Seems kinda pricey, but after looking at the Bobcat threads where folks paid good money for mounts that would make you chuckle, it makes sense. I believe it takes an artist to make them come out properly. Good work isnt cheap. Id have to settle for a rug. lol

Just the foam form itself will run $100-200 . Then you have... eyes, jaw set, tanning, clay, glue, bondo,thread, labor, don't for get income tax , insurence,etc.

They are alot of dang work !

Originally Posted By: Steve_in_PABut why so much compared to a deer mount? I would think that the coyote being smaller, would be cheaper??

Coyotes/fox are more work, as in form prep and sewing(more labor ) The shop I was at could do 3 deer to every life size yote/fox.

Heck there is dang near as much sewing on a yote tail and a whole deer shoulder mount.

I forgot this,
Since they sell more deer forms than life size yotes, they are cheaper. A deer shoulder is half the cost or less of a yote form.

I'm not saying I like high prices, but spend a week in the taxi shop working and you'll think prices aren't high enough. lol

This mount was in the mid $300 range, but it was about 20 years ago! When I told the taxi. that I wanted a pheasant in the mouth, he said... Joe, get me a pheasant. He had to patch a 12 ga. hole from a Brenneke slug that went through the chest! I was blocking on a deer drive and this came running by.

I'm a retired professor and had this in my University office for several years. Some students comments blew me away. One girl from Chicago said, "professor, why do you have a collie up there with a duck in its mouth?" I about wet my pants.

CoyoteBear.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Steve_in_PABut why so much compared to a deer mount? I would think that the coyote being smaller, would be cheaper??

Coyotes/fox are more work, as in form prep and sewing(more labor ) The shop I was at could do 3 deer to every life size yote/fox.

Heck there is dang near as much sewing on a yote tail and a whole deer shoulder mount.

Gotcha.

20 years old? Man that mount looks like it was done last year. That is a cool mount.

All of them mounts are cool, if I had that many cats, they'd be on the wall with the coyotes.....lol.

Though there are some great mounts posted on here, I myself wouldnt spend that kind of money on a coyote mount. On the other hand, I would get the hide tanned or may even go so far as to have a skull bleached.

Back