GPS recommendations

I just got the Garmin etrex vista hcx and I think you would like it. It has been pretty easy to use and does everything I need. I found mine new on craigslist for a steal and so you might consider checking there. I would definitely recommend it though

I bought 2 new Garmin nuvi 50LM units in the past 2 weeks and both had the screens freeze up when I put in my hunting sd cards. Nothing would get them back, even unplugged from the car & sd card removed. The screens were still froze when I took them back fo my refund.
I thought they would be great as I have never had a garmin do that & liked the 5" screens on them.
Ill stick to my CO 300 & 295 units I guess.

Originally Posted By: 5spdI bought 2 new Garmin nuvi 50LM units in the past 2 weeks and both had the screens freeze up when I put in my hunting sd cards. Nothing would get them back, even unplugged from the car & sd card removed. The screens were still froze when I took them back fo my refund.
I thought they would be great as I have never had a garmin do that & liked the 5" screens on them.
Ill stick to my CO 300 & 295 units I guess.

I have seen the 50LM units do this. The unit needs to be off when you insert the card. When I did this, everything was fine. Also, if you ever have any nuvi lock up, simply hold down the power button for 10 seconds continously and it will reboot the unit. This tip will work for virtually all Nuvis and is the reason so many Garmins and actually all types of automotive units go back.

^^^Thanks I will get another one & give it a shot....3x a charm. They were both on when I put the cards in. One was working with the card for 4 days then it froze up on the intersate. I just found out about the reset trick today when I read the online manual, it does fail to state unit off, put card in turn unit on.
I knew it was not a SD card issue as they work in my other 2 perfectly. Thanks

Back