any one ever hear a dying rabbit?

My wife used to raise rabbits. When you would pick them up wrong they would let out a terrible scream, just like the distress calls.

Yes and I was actually coyote hunting a the time. Had just setup over a draw with a small creek running down the middle about 60 Yrd's away. Before I started to call this terrible scream started from down in the bushes hiding the actual water. You will probably never be any louder than the sounds from this rabbit. At first I though that a coyote may be in there, but he area was to small to hide a coyote. Finally came to the conclusion that a mink must have grabbed and started to eat it alive as it went on for a good 15 Min. Not one coyote came in to find out what was up.

Never a rabbit but I have heard coons fight. Some thing not right with them masked furry things. It was so loud the girlfriend at the time wouldn't get out of my car.

Not me, but my brother has. I have heard this though, if the curs catch a coon on the ground, the coon sounds just like Foxpro's coon fight sound.

Ive heard one rabbit squeal... it was my second jack rabbit ever shot I was about 10 So my shooting wasnt the best. Needless to say i learned to take extra time on rabbit shots.

Not sure how you would record it though unless you had tame rabbits that you trained to squeal.

Yes.

The coolest thing that I have ever seen was one time while I was driving a backcountry road, I saw a pack of coyotes. The bigger coyotes were teaching the younger ones to hunt. They would catch the rabbit and then let it go and then let the young ones chase it and catch it. This went on for about fifteen minutes. The tones that the rabbit was making that day is what I always try to imitate while on stand.

It does sound like an e caller, but the sounds vary so much in pitch and tone, tempo, and intensity. That is why I use hand calls the majority of the time. I can vary my calling to adjust to an incoming coyote or two.

Ran over a rabbits nest with a lawn most once and my buddy reached down and pi ked up one of the babies. That thing cried so loud and long I didn't believe it.

The rabbits I have heard scream, do just that, SCREAM! It is much louder than I would have ever thought. I've heard both wild and pet rabbits scream and they sound the same.

The kids had some pet rabbits and one jumped out of it's cage, broke it's back & screamed. It will get your attention.---Ben Jimmy

Saw a coyote coming in take one once. Then one day at the store I heard a similar sound. Turned out to be a kid screaming it's lungs out.

wow! been hunting rabbits a long time... shot one once(lil cottontail) and it cried for a few seconds... sounded like a lot of distress calls, just dont think that any thing (at least human anyway) could have heard it more than 30yrds away.....very faint....showed me how important it is to start soft when you call...

I was out with my partner several years ago. We called an area and struck out, so we started hunting rabbits. We spotted a jack trotting away from us, and we had turned our attention another direction, when we heard the rabbit start screaming. The screams were pretty hectic, then the screams began to move away from us. Turned out that we must have called a coyote in, because it had taken the rabbit and was running with it still screaming in it's mouth.

I have heard many birds make distress calls, and more than a few foxes in the seconds before they died.

The more you go the more you will hear.

I wounded one rabbit hunting once that ran down a hole and I reached in and pulled him out by his back legs and he sounded just like the call. It was unsettling in person and I killed him quick.

Worst rabbit screams I ever heard were a cotton tail that
was trying to get away from dogs and it tried to jump thru
a hole in a chain link fence. It's back legs got caught up
in the hole and it couldn't make it thru. Talk about loud
screaming. Mostly out of frustration as it wasn't hurt, just
stuck. I helped it thru and it was fine.

Years ago when there was lots of rabbits, I have seen hawks catch rabbits in front of the combine while cutting beans. The kill was quick though.
Watched a hawk once that couldn't carry the rabbit off.
I went and looked at the rabbit. and the holes in its ribs the talons made were huge.

Shayne

In the late 1950s I was tagging along with my dad hunting rabbits around our farm buildings with a .22 on a snowy winter day. Found one sitting tight in the nest so he handed me the rifle and told me to shoot it in the head, I did but as a nervous boy I didn't get a killing shot. He reached down grabbing it and held it chest high. I'll never forget the very loud screams from the rabbit. It sounded just like Les Johnson on his mouth blown call only with more fear added in the screams.

Back