informal 800-1000 yard cheaper rifle,few questions

chunks7mm

couple buddys and i have a place to shoot the ranges i have listed above,but its just us and no competition except for bragging rights
heres my questions
i am a blue collar guy with a child so money is tight,
looking at a few rifles in 308 and 7mm mag
both of them will do them ranges but leaning towards the magnum rifle,i do reload and will for the magnum or 308,so im looking at a new marlin XS7 VH in 308
or a plain jane 700 SPS 7mm mag
i know you guys would choose the 700,but im looking for a HB as i wont be hunting with it so weight is not a issue

remember moneys really tight,im only looking to spend bare minimum and it wont happen till spring so i have time on my hands to think about it,i also have brass and most everything to reload for the two calibers...
any other options out there you guys think i missed?

Last edited:
I think you are leaning towards the proper cartridge choice. I dont think you are looking at the proper rifle. What is the top end as far as money for rifle, scope, reloading accesories, bipod, etc....I am not nocking the 700, just the sps variant, for a 1000 yard rifle. I think that their are better choices in 700 lineup for a 1000 yard rifle. I think you should definitely find a rifle that has several aftermarket accesories, stocks, triggers, etc....You can then slowly add to your rifle and within a couple years it could almost be a custom rig. Anyhow good luck and when you make your purchase post some pics.

im not set on any current caliber,them are just the easy ones of the top of my head also,far as money i will have to build as i go,which you hit on already,i could always build a savage i guess,which i have done many times,just kinda wanted something turn key ..i was also thinking of a fast twist 223 also,but have to many ideas floating around,

i also want a caliber that i can buy ammo for so wildcats are kinda out(but have had some so im not ruling them out completely)

Last edited:
I know theres a big difference between 400 yards and 1000 but Ive shot this one out to 400. Its prolly more than ya wanna spend but it comes with a brake and I can promise you it takes a 300WM down to .243 levels.

My buddy has it and even though the price takes is 900 something he got it for like 799 outh the door.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I am building a budget F/TR class rifle at the moment, it is for up to 1000 yards, so I am making it a 308 Win with a 28" barrel, prolly should have gone 30".

I want to shoot in FTR were there are only too options. Not wanting to shoot open class yet. I have a 6mmBR and a 6 XC I am playing with now.

I suggest for just goofing around, you might want to look at a 260, 6.5x55, 7mm-08 or the 6.5x47 Lapua. IMO there are better cartridges for 1000 yards than the 308.

You might find a Rem 700 hvy barrel 7-08, or you could go with a Savage and put on a nice barrel of your choice.

get foxy,if i buy a savage it will be the LRH in 7mm mag,but its a good choice,but that leaves me with little cash for optics....i would rather have a cheaper gun and better optics if you know what i mean

thanks guys for the input,keep it coming

A 308 just makes 1000 yards in a bolt gun. The 7mm will do it easily. A
savage is going to be one of the more capable for your dollar. A .243 in a
1:8, a 6.5x55 in a 1:8 will all get there and further as will a creedmore or
a .260. Just keep the twist rate high so you can shoot the long heavy bullets.
The 6's and 6.5's are a lot easier on your nerves and wallet when you are
sending a bunch of rounds down range. That is why the 6's own the records
when it comes to aggregate scoring.

the only reason im leaning more towards the 7mm mag as i have most the reloading stuff here for it,so it wont be a huge investment reloading wise,just need the rifle and such
308 i have brass and powders for it just need the dies and bullets,i guess it just comes down to what rifle and optics

I take it you are familiar with the 7mm Mag. Have you gotten behind it for extended shooting sessions. Not very friendly. Lots of bullet choices for the .308 Besides, I am pretty sure, that for F-TR, you can only use .308 and .223 in unmodified cartrideges. Read that as no BR's or customs/wildcats.

Tom

familiar with 7mm mag i am,i will not be in a competition,i have shot a 7mm quite a bit in a sitting and have no problem with recoil,when i had money,i used to shoot the 375H&H quite a bit in a encore so im pretty tolerant to recoil....

i just looked up a 7mm/08 in a SPS varmint and by what it looks like after a stock change it would be upwards of 8 bills before optics

Last edited:
You are going to be shooting prone a lot. You will feel that 7mm after a
few rounds. Other than a bench or prone there isn't too many ways to steady a rifle
for those ranges. An iphone/ipod or Android with Shooter for 10.00 or FTE
for 20.00 or 30.00 is a really money saving investment as well. If your device
won't access the weather info where you intend to shoot then you also need
a weather device like a kestrel. You are getting into bullet drops of 150 to
300 inches at 1000 yards. There is very little wiggle room for weather and
wind.

GF- used to get alot of savage deals,but now that moneys tight and my local gun dealers finding out about there capability's,deals are harder to find

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigwheelerYou are going to be shooting prone a lot. You will feel that 7mm after a
few rounds. Other than a bench or prone there isn't too many ways to steady a rifle
for those ranges. An iphone/ipod or Android with Shooter for 10.00 or FTE
for 20.00 or 30.00 is a really money saving investment as well. If your device
won't access the weather info where you intend to shoot then you also need
a weather device like a kestrel. You are getting into bullet drops of 150 to
300 inches at 1000 yards. There is very little wiggle room for weather and
wind. far as prone shooting,we have a purpose built bench that fits into a bed of a truck,so prone isnt a issue,
i have a PDA right now that i got for cheap money,just need to do more research on if one of the shooter program will work on it

Back