Savage ML ll muzzle loader

Originally Posted By: JTBOriginally Posted By: VAhuntrOriginally Posted By: Bernie P.IMO Price is what hurt sales.I love the idea of using smokeless powder but with so many fine shooting guns at far lower prices it's hard to justify the cost to save some cleaning time.

The cleaning aspect is what I don't understand either. I can probably clean my Omega in less than 20 minutes. Does anyone think it could have been a liability issue?

But take that Omega on a several day hunting trip. If you end up with a shot the first day, you'll need some heavy duty cleaning out in the field to prevent rust issues. I'm a cleaning fanatic and would still end up with small rust problems with my old TC Black Diamond.

I agree both liability and price were probably part of the problem. A lot guys pay $150 for a muzzle loader and take it hunting, many aren't willing to pay several times that for a rifle they might only use one or two weeks a year at most.

The Savage has a super strong action. I saw one fired with a 240 grain bullet and magnum load of 2400 powder OVER another 240 grain bullet and 2400 load. The shooter ended up with a bad scope cut to his forehead and a slight ring in the barrel, but other than that the rifle was fine. I believe he still hunts with it. Of course he's a little more careful with his loading procedure!

I can completely clean the Omega in 20 minutes or less. I have found that using 777 and making sure my barrel is completely free of oil before loading seems to reduce fouling. Been doing it that way since I bought it in 2003 and do not have any rust issues.

I will admit that smokeless powder would be nice and the Savage looks to be a well built muzzleloader.

I have owned a ml11 for at least 9 years and its the only gun I wont sell.Mine shoots 5744 and DC 260's at around 1 inch if I do my part.I have hit deer at over 200 yards with it and dumped them.If you have a chance to pick one up dont hesitate to do so.

Although Savage is the one most well known, there are at least a couple of others out there that manufacture them also, such as NULA and SMI.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogTwo friends use them and both had misfires costing them both nice deer. Chit Happens!!

some powders are not good in cold climates and have a tough time getting going.A few guys will do a duplex load of 2 powders( do your research before trying this).I have hunted with mine from 75 degrees in our early morning muzzy season and all the way down to single digits and never had a problem getting mine to pop.I use 5744 and Dead Centers 260 grain bullets that are designed for the savage.I will be building my own on a savage or Remington action in 45 in the next few years.

Originally Posted By: MACHINISTOriginally Posted By: pyscodogTwo friends use them and both had misfires costing them both nice deer. Chit Happens!!

some powders are not good in cold climates and have a tough time getting going.A few guys will do a duplex load of 2 powders( do your research before trying this).I have hunted with mine from 75 degrees in our early morning muzzy season and all the way down to single digits and never had a problem getting mine to pop.I use 5744 and Dead Centers 260 grain bullets that are designed for the savage.I will be building my own on a savage or Remington action in 45 in the next few years.

They can be picky as to what primer as well. Win209 and CCI 209M seem to be pretty reliable. Machinist, what primer are you using?

Anyone care to share their pet loads using DC's? Their site is a little confusing. Are you guys shooting the DC's using their sabots or MMP's?

I called Savage. The lady I talked to said they are not currently making them, but they do plan to do the occasional "special run," for a while. I have the Stainless laminated 10 ML II. The rifle shoots pretty good now that I have tinkered with load development a bit. Sabot fit was critical. I now have a drawer full of sabots that did not work well. It is a big, heavy rifle. Carrying my 10 ML II through the woods is about like lugging a cedar fence post around all day. It sure puts down the deer though.
My current load is 42 grains IMR 4759 with a 300 grain Shockwave bullet and a MMP HPH 12 sabot.

I bought an Outlaw Sling to carry my 10ML II. It helps a lot. I'm kind of thin, so Gary Matthews (owner) made me a sternum strap to keep the shoulder straps from slipping off.

Originally Posted By: Matt N. Sabot fit was critical. I now have a drawer full of sabots that did not work well. My current load is 42 grains IMR 4759 with a 300 grain Shockwave bullet and a MMP HPH 12 sabot.

Several guys have had MANY problems with these things shooting well. Never seen on that wouldn't shoot well with the MMP HPH-12 sabot. That thing is the fix to your problem with the ML-II. The sabot is the week link with the high pressure loads.

I'm not sure why Savage discontinued but they ARE available for 2012.

If you are a lttile lazy on your cleaning the smakeless ML is worth it's weight in gold!

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8They can be picky as to what primer as well. Win209 and CCI 209M seem to be pretty reliable. Machinist, what primer are you using?

I am shooting CCI pimers

Originally Posted By: cmatera Anyone care to share their pet loads using DC's? Their site is a little confusing. Are you guys shooting the DC's using their sabots or MMP's?

I just use the appropriate lee dipper,5744 and the 260 grain dead centers with the supplied sabot.I bought some different DC bullets to load test with but haven't gotten around to it yet.I can look it up as to what size it is for you.I am going to try and weigh 5 loads and dip 5 loads this spring and see what the difference is.If weighing gets me better accuracy I will be all giggly and stuff!!LOL

Last edited:
Back